• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Matt Hodgson just tweeted that Tim Fairbrother joined the Wallaby squad, or just trained with them. A good thing I think. Nicely timed pre-All Black test. Some inside information per chance?

Gee, it has taken the Wallabies coaching staff ages to read GAGR on that topic.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is it just me or is anyone worried about having Gits at flyhalf. I hope I am embarrassed by this post at about 10.00pm on Saturday.

Yeah he crabs to much & his pass is crap, the only good thing is Giteau & Barnes are both playing 2nd fiddle to Cooper so they'll both be looking for big games whilst he is out.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting that the question of Cooper's suspension being thrown out was raised to Deans in a press conference; he said that they had been and are preparing with the expectation that Cooper would be unavailable for this match and would only consider adding him to the side if the suspension was lifted.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Seems a fair assumption, if the appeal is successful then the suspension would be reduced to 1 week.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Interesting that the question of Cooper's suspension being thrown out was raised to Deans in a press conference; he said that they had been and are preparing with the expectation that Cooper would be unavailable for this match and would only consider adding him to the side if the suspension was lifted.

Which is exactly the right approach. You can't by with what-ifs and could have beens at any elite level sport.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the Gits-Barnes show works this week, keep it, otherwise swap them and get the Buro-Barnes combo happening. or if you want hard running crashball, hard running 12s with great defence then get a Burgo-Barnes-Carter-Horne combo happening.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
If the Gits-Barnes show works this week, keep it, otherwise swap them and get the Buro-Barnes combo happening. or if you want hard running crashball, hard running 12s with great defence then get a Burgo-Barnes-Carter-Horne combo happening.

Don't turn into a Waratahs version of Reddy, #1 Tah.

M

Muttonbird

New Zealand on verge of greatness, says Macqueen
Reuters - July 28, 2010, 6:55 pm

MELBOURNE, July 28 (Reuters) - New Zealand are the litmus test for teams with World Cup ambitions and have assembled a side that stands on the cusp of greatness, former Australia coach Rod Macqueen said on Wednesday.

Macqueen, who led the Wallabies to their second World Cup triumph in Wales in 1999, said the All Blacks possessed the hallmarks of the Sean Fitzpatrick-captained sides of the 1990s.

"I suspect that it's a side at the moment that's probably on the verge of greatness and looking back at the last decade, probably getting back to the Fitzpatrick-type days -- that kind of team that's quite measured and doing very well," Macqueen told reporters.

"(New Zealand's) Achilles heel in the past has been not having a plan B, when things start to go wrong, they continue to go wrong.

"But we're seeing instances now within the New Zealand side that they're making decisions themselves within the team and they seem fairly confident and when things start to go wrong they come back pretty quickly."

The top-ranked All Blacks were second to South Africa in the Tri-Nations last year, but routed the champions in their opening two home matches with an ominous blend of pace and power. They face the Wallabies at Melbourne's Docklands stadium on Saturday.

Much of the All Blacks' quality could be put down to the captaincy of flanker Richie McCaw, Macqueen said, who had anchored the playing group over a period of years.

"(McCaw's) been a nice steadying influence in there over a period of time and when you look at some of the down-times New Zealand had, they were chopping and changing the captaincies and so on.

"You've got a fairly stable lot there now. The coaching staff hasn't changed a lot for quite a while and the captaincy and leaders within the group (haven't changed), and it's come together quite nicely."

Macqueen was less bullish about Australia's World Cup prospects, saying the young side had hard work to do and needed to take notes from their match on Saturday.

"I think they'll know a lot better after this match. I think this is going to answer a lot of questions," Macqueen said.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
surprise surprise. don't want to upset the saffas now do we?
I dont want to sound like a clown, but this will increase the All Blacks chances which will help with the World Cup coming up:)

I thought in all honesty it should have only been one week but if we manage a win then it only makes us stronger to win without a top line player.

I think Barnes should have been a straight replacement so I am a bit dissapointed with Gits being moved

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
My take on the Giteau positioning:

1: Barnes and Horne are an established centre pairing. They decisively bettered this very AB pairing during the S14.

2: Barnes was 12 in our best backline performance this year.

3: people are wondering why Horne has had so little impact. One reason is that Gits has not been passing to him. We may see more of Horne this weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
its just numbers on a jersey lads. Expect to see BB at first receiver and Gits swanning around our wider anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.