• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think playing Gits at 10 would be a massive change. Frankly I reckon he slotted into first reciever about as many times as Quade on Saturday. Him and Barnes could play the same way that he and Quade did- rotating who stands at 10 and 12 based on the play.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think playing Gits at 10 would be a massive change. Frankly I reckon he slotted into first reciever about as many times as Quade on Saturday. Him and Barnes could play the same way that he and Quade did- rotating who stands at 10 and 12 based on the play.

If Gits and Horne are the centres Deans wants to move forward with, it makes sense to me to keep them together and try to get them working together.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If Gits and Horne are the centres Deans wants to move forward with, it makes sense to me to keep them together and try to get them working together.

Oh yeah I think he should be at 12 too. But I was just addressing the guys who think shunting Gits to 10 would result in a big change to the way he plays and our backline functions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Oh yeah I think he should be at 12 too. But I was just addressing the guys who think shunting Gits to 10 would result in a big change to the way he plays and our backline functions.

Fair enough, to me last season we changed the centre pairing nearly each game, it didn't help much.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Qantas Wallabies team to play New Zealand in the Bundaberg Red Tri Nations and Bledisloe Cup Test at Etihad Stadium, Melbourne on Saturday 31 July, 8.05pm kick off (AEST), is:

15. Adam Ashley Cooper (Brumbies)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
3. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on reserves:
16. Saia Fainga'a (Queensland Reds)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
21. Anthony Fainga'a (Queensland Reds)
22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)

http://rugby.com.au/news/wallabies_2010/qantas_wallabies_named_for_bledisloe_cup_opener,140939.html

D

daz

Greg Clark reminded me today of an interesting stat:

"In the last six tests against the All Blacks the Wallabies have been in front at half-time but they haven't gone on with the job."

Say what you like about the All Blucks, and I agree they are a formidable team at the moment, but that stat tells me we are competitive and dominant for 40 minutes, and into our shell/out of fitness/lack of aplication in the final 40.

If, just if, the Wobs can leave it all on the paddock as per the Bok game, a half time lead this weekend might be translated into a win.

I think the AB's are a pretty complete team, but they are not invincible. A bit of belief and a shitload of application mixed with a spoonfull of level headedness may be enough to bring the Kiwis down.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Question: when he's wearing 12 Gits drifts into first receiver easily; when he wears 10 does he drift out of it as easily? I still see a lot of merit in the Barnes 10/Giteau 12 combo. But I don't coach the Wallabies.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
I think Moore earned the start. Obviously worried switching Gits to 10 will hamper his form recovery.
Wabbs will be fighting an uphill battle to win this but I expect them to show heart as they did against the Boks

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fairly happy with that team. I would rather have Gits back at 12, but it's still a pretty strong backline. Moore back at hooker is also a good move. It's tough on Saia, but Stephen is the better and more experienced player.

It's a huge mountain to climb, but we *can* win this game. The stat before about leading at half time is a telling one. You have to get into the AB's early and push them off their game. Then you have to keep pushing for the full 80. No team in world rugby consistently demands that more than the Blackness.

The key area will be the breakdown. Where we get smashed consistently by the AB's is at the tackle area. It's not just McCaw, it's also guys like Thorn and Kaino clearing out and counter rucking. We absolutely must hold the line there. If we get manhandled in that part of the game we are sunk.

Reactions: daz

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Good team, overall, but I still don't see the point of shifting Giteau. I agree with Barbarian that it's not a drastic change, but still. Giteau looked in much better form at 12 last week - can't he bloody well stay there?

That said, we're not gonna win or lose this one at the inside backs. Fire up, forwards!

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah Brown Horn I agree. The breakdowns going to be interesting. Robinson with another game under his belt will be better, Moore will help. It's going to be one hell of a game

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree with what has been said. If last week Giteau wore the 12 number and played at 1st receiver but also wider in the backline, why can't he do that again this week? He would have been at 1st receiver alot anyway. I don't get the significance of changing the number on his back?! It just confuses the role he is actually going to play within in the team on a weekly basis if Cooper is playing.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
ABs named

1. Tony Woodcock (65)
2. Keven Mealamu (76)
3. Owen Franks (14)
4. Brad Thorn (42)
5. Tom Donnelly (9)
6. Jerome Kaino (29)
7. Richie McCaw – captain (85)
8. Kieran Read (21)
9. Jimmy Cowan (38)
10. Daniel Carter (71)
11. Josevata Rokocoko (63)
12. Ma’a Nonu (48)
13. Conrad Smith (37)
14. Cory Jane (17)
15. Mils Muliaina (85)

Reserves:

16. Corey Flynn (9)
17. Ben Franks (4)
18. Samuel Whitelock (5)
19. Victor Vito (2)
20. Piri Weepu (40)
21. Aaron Cruden (4)
22. Israel Dagg (3)

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree with most on here that leaving Gits at 12 was the better option, Barnes was a our best player in Bledisloe 2 last year so I have no problem with him starting at 10.

Barnes will be ready for a big game he & Giteau have a lot to prove this week.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
With Nonu at 12 Barnes may well be the best defensive option at 12.

They will interchange frequently though, I have no doubt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Matt Hodgson just tweeted that Tim Fairbrother joined the Wallaby squad, or just trained with them. A good thing I think. Nicely timed pre-All Black test. Some inside information per chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.