• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A little point about Palu Vs Brown. Are we sure Palu would be preferred if he was available? Most posters here would, but it is not certain. There have been many tests where Brown was preferred over Palu, when Palu was avialable.

Brown was only ever preferred when Palu was injured or returning from injury...

Palu proved during the EOYT that he's our first choice no. 8...

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
So Mitchell bagged his second 4 try haul for the year Against Penrith on Sat. Anyone see the game? How did Beale etc go?
Maybe being Deans' secret plan is working and he is firing him up? Also any word on the fitness of Hynes and Ioane?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Is there any video available for that match Henry? I would like to see some Mitchell action after seeing his superb effort last weekend.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Nice thought, but I reckon, Habana, Fourie, JDV (in position), Aplon, Kirschner (who did well last night in this facet I thought) and others would be quite capable of dishing out the counter-attack. They stuck stubbornly to a failing game plan last night and were rightly reamed by the Blecks. All Blacks ran hard, with intent all night. They attacked from close to the ruck from depth, and wide from depth too. Apart from Cowan there was precious little aimless kicking from them, as opposed to high ball after high ball from the Bokke, with a few "I have no idea what the fuck to do so I'll have a long range droppie attempt" type plays from Steyn.
I would be dismayed if we play the same idiotic kicking patterns as last year - we don't do it well, our lineout is not that good, and our kick chase is usually insipid at best. We have some good broken play runners, use them, but look how the Blecks used them. Watch the linking game of McCaw - just superb. Kaino, Read, Donnelly and Thorn hit everything, and backed up. Of course it helps if your 12 is a huge mofo who runs straight, can pass and even kick occasionally, as opposed to the Crustacean we have. (Or Arthropod for the pedants).

Better A Finger than Arthur Pod.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
How so? There are reasons to keep Beale out of the equation that I'd buy into but you can't go around making bold statements with no legitimate reason.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Ok. He cannot tackle. His options in attack invariably go nowhere and his decision-making is erratic. He does not have a decent football brain. As a recent example- that grubber when he had giteau outside him. I'm afraid that sort of thing happens too frequently. He is the classic chip over the top type of player. Works well when joeys play grammar but is just not on at senior level.

C

chief

How so? There are reasons to keep Beale out of the equation that I'd buy into but you can't go around making bold statements with no legitimate reason.

His reason was him being average, hence his selection in the squad coming from him being over rated in Spewn's opinion. Although he certainly lacks 'substance' within his argument, I just happen to agree with Spewn. Beale's head at this level I feel is not up to the job. I think Beale kicks too much in attack, his first reaction seems to be boot to ball rather then looking for support. I don't think that is where someone's head should be at especially at this level. Certainly some of the things Beale pulls off at this level is astounding but a lot of the things he does are far from it. In my opinion.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Beale and Cooper share the ability to see space on the field and put themselves and others in it. IMO they're the best in the squad at it. It's an X-factor that can't be coached and is gold-dust with modern defences

It's the reason why in the 6/7 games Beale played at fullback in S14 this year, he scored and set up more tries than any other Australian fullback.

Think of who'd inject it say, if QC (Quade Cooper) got injured....

D

David

Beale and Cooper share the ability to see space on the field and put themselves and others in it. IMO they're the best in the squad at it. It's an X-factor that can't be coached and is gold-dust with modern defences

It's the reason why in the 6/7 games Beale played at fullback in S14 this year, he scored and set up more tries than any other Australian fullback.

Think of who'd inject it say, if QC (Quade Cooper) got injured....

Put Beale in and watch us lose our few remaining trophies, you can't have two massive defensive liabilities in one team, both of which are quite prone to brain farts.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hynes is goooooooooooooonnnnnnneeeee for the Tri Nations...

Gives Mitchell another chance to get back into the team with Ioane possibly missing the first match...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Put Beale in and watch us lose our few remaining trophies, you can't have two massive defensive liabilities in one team, both of which are quite prone to brain farts.

With O'Connor you have three defensive liabilities...

These players have a bright future but they aren't all necessary for our success leading into the RWC sans Cooper at flyhalf...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale is still young. This year he is much fitter and bigger and has been very good in contact in the S14, unlike last year when he was rag dolled a bit.
He does have that rare vision and he will come into it's own some time in the near future at test level.

edit- In fact the next golden era of Wallaby backline play will probably see Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale all starting with a sprinkling of our latest U-20s stars filling the remaining places.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

I guess it's lucky they have squads of more than 15 men then eh?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
On the money, Gagger. I love the idea of Beale coming off the bench. He's a game-changer and there aren't so many of those in Australian rugby that the Wallabies can afford to leave Beale out of the picture.

T

tranquility

Perhaps looking long term, but I think Kurtley needs a bit more time in the Sydney club ranks. Use JOC (James O'Connor) off the bench for the 'X-Factor'. KB (Kurtley Beale) is just not up to it at this stage.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
All three are suspect in defence. All three. Being suspect in defence is a big problem as good teams will exploit it. If they all defended well I'd be happy to see them in the team but until that time I am very concerned. You cannot hide someone at this level - they must all improve. I think they all have it in them to be excellent defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.