• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is pretty big revisionism, which is what is going on in this thread right now.

We had dirt trackers in 2009 to try out players, which is what they did. Wykes did not show enough in S14 2009 to even be considered for selection. Wykes was a lot better this year. If Wykes WAS selected last year, all and sundry would have been amazed. Plus, I am sure that Hockings was injured. Hell, they plucked Daisy Dennis for the dirt trackers for the reasons you said. You don't just dump established players to randomly try someone who has not shown much at S14 level unless you have dirt trackers or they are a unique talent. Wykes was neither. Hockings at least had shown more potential, but was frequently injured.

And didn't Jism go OK on the EOYT 2009?

This thread is getting a little frustrating.

Wykes and Hockings must be at the end of a long list of locks available:

Horwill, Sharpe, Chisholm, Mumm, Chapman, Simmons, Douglas, Hand, Van Humphries, Dennis...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Will Higgers be having a run for Wests this weekend? If so, will he play 8 or 6? If so will any of the Brissy based members be going down for a look and report back to the forum on how he goes. It would be much appreciated if so.

If fit, he will go great at international standard and prove his critics wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he hasn't been named, but I thought he was going to.

Wests are actually playing up the Sunny Coast this weekend!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yep. Let's hope we see Rocky slide to 8 and Higgers go in at 6. I'm not at all keen on the idea of A. Finger getting his first cap as the run-on 12 in the Tri Nations. I prefer to see Gits get dropped and Barnes start, with the Finger coming off the bench with 20 to go. Why Barnes was even dropped at all after the first England game remains a mystery.

And that goes directly to my recurring problem with Deans. Play. The. Damn. Bench. We have the depth in the back line, especially, to change things up with 20 minutes or so on the clock and really show teams a few different looks.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Wykes and Hockings must be at the end of a long list of locks available:

Horwill, Sharpe, Chisholm, Mumm, Chapman, Simmons, Douglas, Hand, Van Humphries, Dennis...

I think Wykes makes a better back row than lock.
But it was interesting to note that neither Hocking or Wykes could establish themselves as Nathan Sharpes locking partner at the Force this year, with Mitchell ending up playing McCalman there when the full contingent of backrowers were back on board. And both of these guys have been in the pro set up for 3 odd years now, and neither have really made any seriosu impact.

I have my concerns about Horwill. He seems to be the walking wounded. He cant have played more than a handful of games over the last two years. Will he remember how to play when he eventually gets back, and even then I wouldnt be surprised to see him go down again. And another extensive spell on the side lines may well be career ending for him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was really impressed with McCalman this year. Thought he was more a backrower than a lock, so would prefer him picked there. But it's great to see him picked in the Wallaby squad. I look forward to seeing him getting a run to see if we can handle the big time.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will Higgers be having a run for Wests this weekend? If so, will he play 8 or 6? If so will any of the Brissy based members be going down for a look and report back to the forum on how he goes. It would be much appreciated if so.

If fit, he will go great at international standard and prove his critics wrong.

I am off to Uni V Para, I will let you guys know haw TPN goes.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I was really impressed with McCalman this year. Thought he was more a backrower than a lock, so would prefer him picked there. But it's great to see him picked in the Wallaby squad. I look forward to seeing him getting a run to see if we can handle the big time.

I see him as being an enforcer type lock if he plays there. He is not of the height to compete at the lineouts against the Matifields. But if we could partner him with a good line out operator (Sharpe is our best, and will probably do) then he would add a lot to the scrum and the rucks. If we were to do this, we would need lineout options at 6 and 8, so Hodgson and Brown would be out (damn, there goes my dream of a Force 4-8) but I think if we went with Higgen and Elsom as 6/8 with a Mumm on the bench alongside Hodgson then this would work.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I have my concerns about Horwill. He seems to be the walking wounded. He cant have played more than a handful of games over the last two years. Will he remember how to play when he eventually gets back, and even then I wouldnt be surprised to see him go down again. And another extensive spell on the side lines may well be career ending for him.

He has played more footy over the last 2 years than Shepherd but I bet you would have him back in the team with no worries in a heart beat ay ay?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He has played more footy over the last 2 years than Shepherd but I bet you would have him back in the team with no worries in a heart beat ay ay?

Geez, Reddy!, everything isn't Qld vs the World FFS.
I think it's a valid point about Horwill, and he didn't say he didn't want him back - I think all Aus rugby fans want a fit Horwill back. His run of injuries is concerning, as are those of other players, such as Shepherd.

D

daz

Quote from Higgers in the paper today that caused me to smile:

Higginbotham was pushing the right buttons yesterday. When asked whether he was up to ''bashing blokes'', Higginbotham laughed and said: ''Yeah, definitely.''

''I suppose it's one of the reasons we all play,'' Higginbotham said.

''It's a game where you get to hit blokes and not get in trouble for it. Hopefully I can bring a lot of physicality into the team and bring my running game across as well.''

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Quote from Higgers in the paper today that caused me to smile:

Higginbotham was pushing the right buttons yesterday. When asked whether he was up to ''bashing blokes'', Higginbotham laughed and said: ''Yeah, definitely.''

''I suppose it's one of the reasons we all play,'' Higginbotham said.

''It's a game where you get to hit blokes and not get in trouble for it. Hopefully I can bring a lot of physicality into the team and bring my running game across as well.''

It's a good sentiment, however it is just the kind of corny soundbite that players always seem to come out with on the SMH / RugbyHeaven - which I where I guess it comes from. I think Growden interviews mainly consist of two words: "sign this".

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I would love a fit and healthy, and in form Horwill back. It would be a huge boost to the Aus pack. But I am very concerned that he wont be fit and in form.
And for me, I am quite amazed that Deans is considering Shepherd. He has tonnes of talent when fit, but his second half to the Force season (when he came back ) didnt blow me away. he is still clearly nervous about his injurie, and has kept away from kicking. Taking him into a 3N game is a liability unless he has sorted his problems out.

T

tranquility

I know he can't because he hasn't played Super rugby yet, but wouldn't to be nice to give Luke Rooney a run in the back three? It would offer that size, and athleticism we seem to be lacking. Plus he is quick. Hope he goes really well in the NPC

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just back from watching Souths play Gold Coast. Slipper and Daley prominent in a strong Gold Coast scrum. Daley off after about 50. Don't think he was injured.

Ant Fainga'a excellent for Souths. Cooper came on at half time and was brilliant. Set up three tries with beautiful cut out passes and scored a cracker stepping through the defence. Three conversions too. 2 from out wide (one from the left touch line and one from the right touch line), and one from in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.