• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A Finger out - http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/t...m=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#.UfiKdTf0GNd

So I'm guessing R Horne will be getting a call from Link?
He'd better - otherwise Barbar's head might explode. :)

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Say what you will about A finger's lack of pace, but that man is hard as fucking nails. In my playing days, I went through a similar situation with a shoulder injury (labral + capsule tear) that needed surgery, I postponed to the end of the year. Worst year of footy I ever played, I was so bloody hesitant to make tackles, clean out etc. with my left shoulder because it was loose and every 2nd or 3rd time I did it subluxed painfully and eventually dislocated properly during a club GF (we won, thankfully). To play the style of game that Ant Fainga'a plays while carrying that kind of niggle, and do it to pretty reasonable effect it must be said, is nothing short of exceptional. A great team man, I just wish he was a touch faster.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep fair call. There is enough coverage there I reckon.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Did McKenzie and Horne's time at the Tah's overlap?

Not a leading question, just curiosity.

Edit: talking about Links coaching time before i get a smart arsed answer

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Did McKenzie and Horne's time at the Tah's overlap?

Not a leading question, just curiosity.

Edit: talking about Links coaching time before i get a smart arsed answer
Yeah, 2008. Horne was first year out of school. Played a few S14 games for Tahs + Aus U20.

Dunno that you could really read much into that.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Ouch for Horne!
Obviously not rated at all.
Can't make the third choice with 2 other centres injured.

I think its more that theyve had to shift the camp back a few days for the Brumbies final so he would only be there for 3 or 4 days anyway. A. Finger was one of the fringe blokes that was probably going to be cut so it probably wasn't worth bringing someone else in.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if no Fainga'a (and not replacing him with Horne) will change the makeup of McKenzie's bench?

Fainga'a was quite a likely bench option in my opinion because he is the only player that properly covers both centre positions.

I would say that it increases the likelihood of either having Kuridrani on the bench or Cummins in the side at least to cover 13. JOC (James O'Connor) is a fairly obvious bench choice if he doesn't get a starting winger gig because of his versatility as well.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Say what you will about A finger's lack of pace, but that man is hard as fucking nails. In my playing days, I went through a similar situation with a shoulder injury (labral + capsule tear) that needed surgery, I postponed to the end of the year. Worst year of footy I ever played, I was so bloody hesitant to make tackles, clean out etc. with my left shoulder because it was loose and every 2nd or 3rd time I did it subluxed painfully and eventually dislocated properly during a club GF (we won, thankfully). To play the style of game that Ant Fainga'a plays while carrying that kind of niggle, and do it to pretty reasonable effect it must be said, is nothing short of exceptional. A great team man, I just wish he was a touch faster.

It might also help explain his poor statistical performance this season, particularly his crappy tackle percentage.

T

Tip

Why do players keep delaying surgery!? Have your body fixed as soon as possible, there's no point playing if you're only 80 percent fit. You just dramatically increase risks of arthritis later on in life.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I am excited this means we are almost certain to see one, or maybe both of CFS and Kuridrani.

Rather than play Harris at 12 I would move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there and bring in Kuridrani at 13.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am excited this means we are almost certain to see one, or maybe both of CFS and Kuridrani.

Rather than play Harris at 12 I would move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there and bring in Kuridrani at 13.

I wouldn't play either at 12........

Lilo or bust........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess your options change depending on whether you have 2 or 3 reserve backs.

Let's figure that the backline will be:

Genia
Cooper/To'omua (probably Cooper)
Cummins/Tomane
Leali'ifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Mogg

Of course there are other options where Mogg is on the bench, Folau plays fullback and JOC (James O'Connor) plays 14 or similar.

The bench will have either White or Phipps in one spot.

If you go down the path of only one other back reserve then it needs to be someone like JOC (James O'Connor).

That makes the following people backups:

Lealo - backup 10
JOC (James O'Connor) - backup 12
Cummins - backup 13
Folau - backup 11
JOC (James O'Connor) - backup 14
Folau - backup 15

If you have three back reserves then you add a fair amount of flexibility. Harris could come in as a backup 12 and goal kicker or Kuridrani as a backup 13 etc.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Why do players keep delaying surgery!? Have your body fixed as soon as possible, there's no point playing if you're only 80 percent fit. You just dramatically increase risks of arthritis later on in life.

In an ideal world I agree, but here might be some good reasons...
  • If his contract states that he receives match payments, every game he misses through injury is $$$ lost, and it's not a small amount
  • If his contract is not match payments, rather play say 8 games and increase your salary for the year by $15k, play 10 and it goes up $25K (hypothetically)? I'd play hurt for an extra $10k per year
  • He did not have a contract for 2014 (as I understand it, anyway - looks to be sorted now) so if he wasn't playing and someone else got that position, re-signing would be difficult.
  • ARU doesn't give top-ups to players who aren't playing
  • He's already missed more than a year of rugby (while he was at the Brumbies) and was told he'd never play again because of compartment syndrome in his calf. A shoulder injury is childs play compared to that
I agree that playing injured wasn't ideal, but if I were in his shoes any one of the above would be enough to make me think "it hurts but I can handle it, so I'll get through this season and do it in the off-season"

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Most players play with injury every week, they "manage" them

The sign of quality player is performing at near 100% while being he wounded

I am sure Genia needs work, he had his knee in a brace after each of the Lions game, but he will plan his probable surgery, if possible, when it suits his schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.