• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper will be picked and will be involved in any leadership group that may be formed. Link is more likely going to embrace his intellectual property in forming how we play the game. I think it will be something Link does with his playing group in general. Link will have the final say but I think the floor will be open to all suggestions. This will be a big part of his cultural reform agenda.

I like To'omua for a bench spot. His contrasting style and ability to play a few positions will benefit plus it is the best way to build his experience at that level.

Fardy has put himself in serious contention for the 6 jersey.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
With Palu injured the 6 jersey is now wide open.

I am still not entirely sold on Kimlin, and see MMM as more of a lock than a 6. Same with Fardy. Dennis is solid enough but hasn't had a standout year. Don't think Schatz is ready yet.

Going off his last few games I think Ben McCalman might be a smoky for the jersey. Made an impact against the Lions, and has been in great touch for the Force.

Not sure who I would pick though.

T

Train Without a Station

Cooper will be picked and will be involved in any leadership group that may be formed. Link is more likely going to embrace his intellectual property in forming how we play the game. I think it will be something Link does with his playing group in general. Link will have the final say but I think the floor will be open to all suggestions. This will be a big part of his cultural reform agenda.

I like To'omua for a bench spot. His contrasting style and ability to play a few positions will benefit plus it is the best way to build his experience at that level.

I agree. Last Monday everybody was saying it has to be Quade. He held his own and To'omua had a shocker. Now the sentiment is it must be To'omua based on 1 game?

I'm a fan and believe he has to be our 2nd choice 10. But to say he now has to be picked for his combo with Lilo is ludicrous. Lilo isn't even a lock for the 12. One of the only locks in the backline is Genia and we know who his best combination is with.

Regardless due to experience and shown ability Quade should be our first choice 10 to start the season with. To'omua should be in the 23. To'omua should also start games before the year is out because there isn't a whole lot between the 2 of them really. The biggest factor I think should be who we are playing and who we have in our team.

If we think we need to grind out a win, To'omua. If we think we need to blitz tries to win, Cooper. Whilst Link is a big Cooper advocate, I'm sure there are some games where if he happened to have a 10 like To'omua at his disposal he may have preferred him over Cooper for the Reds over the years.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Does anyone know what Kyle Godwin's injury is, and how long he will be out for?

Obviously he would have been picked if not for his injury.

Am assembling some stats on 12s for a piece on the front page. Weighing up Fainga'a, Horne, Lilo, Harris, Godwin, Taps and Sidey. Godwin is the clear standout across nearly every stat.

I really think he should have a shot at 12 going forward. Has the passing and kicking game of a 10, matched with a bucketload of physicality.
He had a shoulder op straight after the Tahs game. 12 weeks rehab. So still about 4 weeks away.

Re Godwin last night he picked up a swag of awards at the Force awards night.

Members MVP
Rising star Award
Nathan Sharpe award (B&F) First winner of the newly named prize.

Hodgo won the Force man award voted by the players.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
With Palu injured the 6 jersey is now wide open.

I am still not entirely sold on Kimlin, and see MMM as more of a lock than a 6. Same with Fardy. Dennis is solid enough but hasn't had a standout year. Don't think Schatz is ready yet.

Going off his last few games I think Ben McCalman might be a smoky for the jersey. Made an impact against the Lions, and has been in great touch for the Force.

Not sure who I would pick though.

Thinking further down the track, Higgers I think will have a firm grip on it. Looking toward this RC I think Kimlin won't get it and it will come down to Fardy or MMM. Both very good players in their own right and MMM I think is slightly more physical though I see Fardy is being more mobile. This position is also going to depend on how Link want's to play. Mobility will be highly regarded.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dennis get another crack either under the new coach. Dennis has it and Link just might get it out of him.

T

TOCC

New playing style?
I thought the Reds played a very similiar game to the Wallabies this year.

You really think that?

I thought the Reds had a few different playing styles depending on the opposition... The Wallabies on the other hand....

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
New playing style?
I thought the Reds played a very similiar game to the Wallabies this year.

There's a lot of pressure on McKenzie to play high tempo attacking rugby, it's one of the very reasons he got the job. Yes the reds had some games that reminded us of the Wallabies but if you think Ewen's going to play the same style as Deans then guess again...

If you think he will play the same style every game, guess again.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Taking from the squad we have, here is a potential in house trial. The players left over form the bench that the coaches can tap into both sides.

1/ Benn Robinson
2/ Stephen Moore
3/ James Slipper
4/ Rob Simmons
5/ James Horwill
6/ Hugh McMeniman
7/ Liam Gill
8/ Ben Mowen
9/ Will Genia
10/ Quade Cooper
11/ Israel Folau
12/ Anthony Fainga'a
13/ Adam Ashley-Cooper
14/ Joe Tomane

15/ Jesse Mogg

Versus

1/ Scott Sio
2/ Tatafu Polota Nau
3/ Ben Alexander
4/ Hugh Pyle
5/ Kane Douglas
6/ Scott Fardy
7/ Michael Hooper
8/ Ben McCalman
9/ Nic White
10/ Matt To'omua
11/ Peter Betham
12/ Christian Leali'ifano
13/ Tevita Kuridrani
14/ Nick Cummins
15/ James O'Connor

Left over players to form the bench are

Dave Dennis : 6, 8
Saia Fainga'a : 2
CFS : 13, 11,14
Bernard Foley : 10, 15
Mike Harris : 12, 15
Sekope Kepu : 1, 3
Peter Kimlin : 4, 6, 8
Nick Phipps : 9
Paddy Ryan : 3
Jake Shatz : 8, 6

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ruggo Fardy over Kimlin in the second string? Little pedantic but Folau has played 14 and Tomane has played 11 99% of their time on the wing, why switch them?
Ant Fainga'a at 12? He's not a bad player, but surely you'd play Lilo, JOC (James O'Connor) or Harris ahead of him there at the moment - A 90% kicker is needed and Quade isn't that.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It wasn't just Deans who had problems with Cooper's attitude, so did some of the senior players, allegedly.

Probably the same ones that had issues with Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). Didn't get them left out of the team though, did it?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
To'omua and Cooper is probably the toughest call in the back line, IMO. They are very different players. Watching To'omua against the Bulls reminded me a lot of Dan Carter. Strong in all aspects of the game, but selective in attacking the line directly.

IMO, provincial combinations shouldn't matter. They have plenty of time in camp and play almost as many international games each season as Super games. Pick the best player for each position that fits with the game plan.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
To'omua and Cooper is probably the toughest call in the back line, IMO. They are very different players. Watching To'omua against the Bulls reminded me a lot of Dan Carter. Strong in all aspects of the game, but selective in attacking the line directly.

IMO, provincial combinations shouldn't matter. They have plenty of time in camp and play almost as many international games each season as Super games. Pick the best player for each position that fits with the game plan.

Fair call Richo. I still want to see Cooper play under Link in the Wallabies set up with the backline we have. I think TRC is the best oppurtunity for him to get that chance as Link has just taken over so they'll be comfortable with each other and To'omua will be coming off a massive finals tour. On top of that you have the experience that QC (Quade Cooper) brings and (I know you said it doesn't matter but) combination with Genia.

For me TRC should be his last real shot at it and if he doesn't perform its Matty's turn from then on (assuming he performs in the Gold jersey as well). I think we have yet to see the full potential of Quade Cooper, especially with his newfound maturity, an attacking coach and a backline that screams 'running, attacking rugby'.

Only time will tell.

Ruggo would have JOC (James O'Connor) over Tomane and Lilo in for A Finger.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Fair call Richo. I still want to see Cooper play under Link in the Wallabies set up with the backline we have. I think TRC is the best oppurtunity for him to get that chance as Link has just taken over so they'll be comfortable with each other and To'omua will be coming off a massive finals tour. On top of that you have the experience that QC (Quade Cooper) brings and (I know you said it doesn't matter but) combination with Genia.

For me TRC should be his last real shot at it and if he doesn't perform its Matty's turn from then on (assuming he performs in the Gold jersey as well). I think we have yet to see the full potential of Quade Cooper, especially with his newfound maturity, an attacking coach and a backline that screams 'running, attacking rugby'.

Only time will tell.

Ruggo would have JOC (James O'Connor) over Tomane and Lilo in for A Finger.

Agreed on all counts. I'd like to see Quade selected first up, but I think To'omua is more slightly likely to end up making the jersey his over the next year or so.

Obviously Quade and Genia are familiar with one another, but, hypothetically, if To'omua was selected, he and Genia would play 11 games together by the end of the year (TRC, Bledisloe 3, EOYT). That's almost a full season of Super Rugby. Similarly, if Quade plays well enough to hold onto 10, he'd get that many games to form a connection with Lilo.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Any opinions on interchanging the 10 depending on the gameplan/ opposition? Too disruptive or revolutionary approach?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Of course he should pick his squad in accordance with his tactics for each game.
it will be interesting to see if he does.
I think he will only canvass this option after a few failures.
After watching the Chiefs/saders we will know shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.