• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mike Harris - Link has lost me already...

he must be one of those good to have around the group players as surely he is not in teh top group of inside backs in Australia - at the risk of upsetting Bruce Ross - Tom Carter offers more at 12 than Mike Harris.. and now that the messiah Quade is back we don't need to worry about a goalkicker!

Surely Hanson offers more than Saig at Hooker , dont even start me on the attacking limitation that Ant F brings to the table.

Could be a darker TRC than many envisage.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Halfback: Genia, Phipps, White
10: Cooper, Foley, To'omua
Wing: Cummins, CFS, Tomane, Betham
Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani, Fainga'a, Harris, Lealiifano
Fullback: Mogg, Folau, JOC (James O'Connor)

When you consider all the backs named in this extended squad and despite all the post 3rd lions test chatter, it's very hard to see JOC (James O'Connor) not making your best 23 or even XV.

And I'm not sensing the same level of outrage with the selection of Phipps that was a frequent occurrence in this place when the former coach picked him in squads...... :)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
White is there as well and unless he or Genia are injured, now or before the first Bled, Phipps will drop out of the squad. Ditto for TPN and S. Fainga'a.
If Link has "lost" anyone after naming his first 40 strong squad then maybe they should rethink supporting the Wallabies?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Plenty of goal kickers in the squad: Lilo, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper, Mogg, White.

You'd need four of those injured to call up Harris as cover.

Either tested and found unreliable in a crunch or untried - other than Lilo.
I dont know whether Link picked this squad alone or what but it would be an interesting discussion if there was a selection meeting when Link said "i want Harris" and everyone else say (with one voice) "hold on you dont even want him in your s 15 team - WTF?"
LInk must doubt QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) to kick reliably at test level otherwise there is no reason for Harris - the problem with that theory is that I just cannot see him picking Harris in game day 23.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I didn't take to Much notice of falou, but there is alot sating him a 15. I just can't see him playing there.
I know he was there through the tahs, but I believe mogg should be 15 for the wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I didn't take to Much notice of falou, but there is alot sating him a 15. I just can't see him playing there.
I know he was there through the tahs, but I believe mogg should be 15 for the wallabies.

It depends how you want to return the ball, if you want someone incredibly safe under the high ball who will return the ball on the ground, then Folau

If you want to return the ball by kicking for field position then Mogg

I personally don't see great benefits in returning possession to the ABs or getting into a kicking duel with the Boks

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
seems that maybe Link is being respectful to Deans by selecting all of his Lions squad except the 3 obvious omissions of Smith, Beale & Palu, and then adding 13 new faces. Now he has free reign to cull, Phips will be the first to go.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Folau vs Savea will be a great clash.
I think QC (Quade Cooper) cross field bombs in Savea's direction might work bloody well.
Savea is only adequate under the high ball.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I don't know what the go is with Horne missing out.

Harris is surprising - it's not like Link has had much use for him at the reds this year.

He did help the wallabies scrape out a couple if wins - clutch kick against wales last June, Argentina away last RC - and I can see that he can be a handy guy from the bench when an arm wrestle is in the balance and the combination of conditions/referee/opposition mean winning with tries isn't going to happen.

Maybe it just comes down to having a mix of player attributes at hand that can contribute to playing a shape and getting a result, rather than picking the best three 12s. But Lilo is a way better Harris than Harris.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mogg at fullback is incredibly good at return kicking - that's what you get when the game plan revolves around territory and defensive pressure.

However, we've also seen his dynamism when running or passing the ball, particularly in the Rebels and Waratahs games earlier this year, but in most games he'll look up, see something is on and try something. Not most of the time, but enough of the time for us to see there's a great runner and passer in the 15 jersey as well.

That said, Folau has a ton more practise doing it than Mogg. However, why don't you just have one on the wing, one at fullback and switch them around as required? Wing stocks aren't too flash at the moment.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I'll give the 10 man cull a go:

./...snip.../

IMHO naming a 40 man squad is an easy out for Link.

Gives him plenty of options to look at, and makes it easier for him to sell the eventual 23 man squad.

The reality is not that 10 are going to miss out, but 17 of the 40 will will be culled in possibly two ballots.

Probably 10 go initially to cut the squad down to 30, then another 7 will be dismissed to make matchday 23.

I reckon that there will be more interest and intrigue in the final 7 who will be cut from the 30 initial survivors.

The fun and games, and real debate about Links game plan, strategy and plans will begin at that point.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mogg is a natural at fullback and needs to be given time to find his feet at test level. Against the Boks his boot will come in very handy. Folau on the wing where he can be given as many 1 on 1 opportunities as possible and some cross kicks from Quade.
Where does JOC (James O'Connor) fit in? On the wing, at fullback or as the back 3 sub on the bench? He will be looking for an opportunity to remind people what he can do when in one of his better positions.
I would have
11.JOC (James O'Connor)
14. Folau
15.Mogg

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
For giving away penalties, S. Finger is your man.

Does Australia really need to give he opposition shots at goal?

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Mike Harris - Link has lost me already.

First thing i notice in this squad is the lack of depth at 12. Harris & A. Fainga dont cut it.

One thing I really liked about Links press conference when he was announced and said since is competition for spots.
He said he is going to pick his best team and for the fringe blokes, will let them know what they need to improve to get their shot.

For Harris, I imagine there will be a few goal kicking comps in this camp, and this will only push our other kickers to improve and push themselves. And he can improve himself too.

For Finger, I think it is generally accepted on these forums* (citation needed) that Ant has a lot of influence in defence and organisation.
Again, in a group environment, this only makes others lift their game and maybe take some skills seen on board into their own game.

Just because someone wont be in the 23 doesn't mean they don't have something to offer the group as a whole....

I think this is where Link is going with this squad.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would greatly love for Fainga'a to be at 12. A lot of traffic will be coming through that channel in this first Bledisloe and he is the bloke to defend it. Not at the expense of Lilo who I see as a genuine attacking asset and it would be counter productive to burn him out in defense. Lilo for mine to 15 where he can have time and space while using his attacking skills linking with his wingers. That does not exclude him being injected into the front line in attack from time to time. Ant Fainga'a is a player who can turn defense into attack which creates which is a good asset in any team.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
For giving away penalties, S. Finger is your man.

Does Australia really need to give he opposition shots at goal?

Top 20 for giving away penalties on rugbystats.com does not see the name S Fainga'a anywhere. Most is Crockett with 30, then 3 players tied on 14. Names that do figure are Hooper @ 21, Alexander @ 18 and Mowen with a massive 22 in a tie for 6th. So you are happy not to have those 3 guys in the 23 as well?

T

TOCC

Top 20 for giving away penalties on rugbystats.com does not see the name S Fainga'a anywhere. Most is Crockett with 30, then 3 players tied on 14. Names that do figure are Hooper @ 21, Alexander @ 18 and Mowen with a massive 22 in a tie for 6th. So you are happy not to have those 3 guys in the 23 as well?

You're not allowed to use stats, this is the Internet!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm certainly happy Crockett isn't there for us, and I hope he gets AB time!!
And yeah, logic and stats have no place here. Remember, stats are shit, or just plain wrong unless they support your argument! :)
In all seriousness though, the stat should be penalties conceded against minutes on the field too. Giving 3 in 10 minutes would suck way more than 3 in a whole match.

Status
Not open for further replies.