• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Totally agree with his ability to break tackles and bend lines..but he's got to come out the other side with ball in hand and he just can't seem to do that at the mo.

Absolutely.

I think he's one of those players who can do the things you can't teach and has to learn the things you can teach. That's definitely a much better situation to be in and I'd say the reason why he's been picked in this squad.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Absolutely.

I think he's one of those players who can do the things you can't teach and has to learn the things you can teach. That's definitely a much better situation to be in and I'd say the reason why he's been picked in this squad.
you are dead right and thats the risks we should be taking in picking a squad...can't teach speed and raw talent but you can teach him how to hang on to the ball...positive thinking ...i stand down... leave him there..:)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He still has to trim 10 names from this squad. Nice exercise here:

Scott Fardy, Peter Betham, Mike Harris, Jake Schatz , Bernard Foley , Nick Phipps, Paddy Ryan , Ben McCalman, Chris Feauai-Sautia,Joe Tomane/Anthony Fainga'a (do we really need 6 wingers in the squad)

I will go as far as saying that Fardy has been more impressive than any other lock in the squad.......... And he also covers 6..........

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Slim I think your 1i-ness o_O is showing again, but I'll agree Fardy has had a couple of good games.

On Harris, I see a lot of potential in him and was disappointed he didn't see more time at 12 for the Reds this year so very surprised to see Ewen has stepped him up. That said I see him as a EOYT player.

Lastly:

PYLE!:cool:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A couple of good games?

He's been in great form for the past two seasons........

I would suggest consistently moreso than Mowen and Kimlin.........

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A couple of good games?

He's been in great form for the past two seasons....

I would suggest consistently moreso than Mowen and Kimlin...

Won't surprise me to see all three of MMM, Kimlin and Fardy in the matchday 23 as starting or cover for lock/6. Arguably, there are other locks showing as good form, but these three have the hardness required, and I think that Link is looking for, to take on and be competitive for a whole game against the ABs. Probably Kimlin to start at 6, MMM to start at 4 and Fardy on the bench as cover. Not a good scenario for Pyle who is one of my favourite players, but that's how I see it going.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The front row is shaping up to be an interesting selection issue for the first RC test. Most posters here seem to think Benny A has done his dash at THP after the Lions series. However, as much as he was towelled up in test 3 by one of the best, he was strong in the other two tests, and has since dominated the Cheetahs' LHP in the elimination semi final. I don't think his position is necessarily as dicey as some seem to think given he is about the most capped and experienced THP in the squad. I predict we'll see Benn Robbo and James Slipper starting with Scott Sio and Benny A on the bench. Unlike Benny A, Scott Sio is a novice, but he is a monster in general play and seems to be a very good scrummager. I think his time has come.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

What's the point of picking more than 23 then?
1. Future development
2. Keep the 23 honest
3. Hold the tackle bags at training
4. Opposition for contact/opposed training
5. Cover injuries
6. The Lions tour made some money, so lets spend it on allowances, airfares, food and accommodation.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm sure this has already been covered, but why the fuck is Ant chosen ahead of Rob Horne?

Aside from the obvious point the Ant plays for the Reds.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm sure this has already been covered, but why the fuck is Ant chosen ahead of Rob Horne?

Yeah man it's been well covered. Not sure about the obvious bit. Aside from the obvious trolling motive.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I have never been a fan, but after his injury this year I have really noticed the difference that he makes to the Reds. Without him at 12 or 13 the Reds midfield was pretty awful in both attack and defence. It appears to me that he is the organiser in defence and without him nobody else in the Reds backline had any impact carrying the ball forward, especially after the loss of Ioane. I would also say that backline involvement fell, and by that I mean the work done by players off the ball to create gaps for others ad provide options. It may well be for these qualities that he was selected over Rob Horne, who I think has been proved to be a good 12 and only an able 13.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Absolutely.

I think Betham is a very good prospect. His ITM Cup was awesome last year. Didn't lose the ball as much in contact as he did during this years S15, but it's still a concern. But like Nonu and Lauaki before him, who like Betham has a poor technique issue, this can easily be turned around by just changing a couple of things in the way he carries.

Good luck to him in the camp

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Like many, I'm surprised Horne didn't make the 40. I am happy to let the new coach do his stuff, and I'll be hoping he does it well. I'm sure he'll bring in Horne if the origianl selections don't work out, assuming Horne is available.

With it being a 40 man squad, it is exciting to see a few new names - all deserving.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Horne was more deserving of selection after this season than any other.
Betham does not look at all like a test player so I have some difficulty fathoming his selection.
Harris can really only cover all the positions mentioned if you add in his goal kicking. Link must think that we need cover in that area: he may not be wrong!

Plenty of goal kickers in the squad: Lilo, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper, Mogg, White.

You'd need four of those injured to call up Harris as cover.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah man it's been well covered. Not sure about the obvious bit. Aside from the obvious trolling motive.

No interest in trolling, however it strikes me as a very partisan selection. That and Mike Harris,

Whatever, they won't be in the 23.

There are a lack of quality centre options in Oz, which is disappointing as this traditionally a strength. That said, Godwin and JOC (James O'Connor) could become great 12s.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I have never been a fan, but after his injury this year I have really noticed the difference that he makes to the Reds. Without him at 12 or 13 the Reds midfield was pretty awful in both attack and defence. It appears to me that he is the organiser in defence and without him nobody else in the Reds backline had any impact carrying the ball forward, especially after the loss of Ioane. I would also say that backline involvement fell, and by that I mean the work done by players off the ball to create gaps for others ad provide options. It may well be for these qualities that he was selected over Rob Horne, who I think has been proved to be a good 12 and only an able 13.

It was awful in attack,with or without him.
If he is to be selected for his defence, he will shut the backline down at the higher level.
in that event a defensive 10 should be selected beside him.
But we know that's not going to happen.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
I'll give the 10 man cull a go:

Nick Phipps, Dave Dennis, Ben McCalman, Mike Harris, Anthony Faainga, Jake Schatz, Peter Betham, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Rob Simmons, Bernard Foley

23 Man Squad:

1. Robbo
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. MMM
7. Hooper
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. O'Connor
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. Mogg

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Ryan
19. Kimlin
20. Gill
21. White
22. Kudriani
23. Tomane

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
First thing i notice in this squad is the lack of depth at 12. Harris & A. Fainga dont cut it.

Lilo is great but i prefer him at 10 after his stella super xv season last year, he does not seem to have the same impact at 12.

Flyhalf - To'omua best defensive 10 going round, sorry about the attack. Cooper best attacking 10 going around, sorry about the defensive. Give me Lilo any day of the week.

Backrow looks good but light. Need more physically dominant players. Pocock and Higgers are sorely missed.

But lots of positives in there of coarse.

Status
Not open for further replies.