• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Number 8 for the RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gecko

Apart from our opensides I don't think our backrowers are up to 80 minutes of high impact play at the moment.

My backrowers at the RWC:
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo

19. Higgenbotham
20. Palu

Squad: Robinson

I favour a 5/2 split. 2 120kg wrecking balls alternating at 8, Palu coming on in the last 25 minutes. Higgenbotham coming on with 15-20 to go for Elsom. Preferably Horwill or Pocock to captain so Elsom can concentrate on his own game.

T

tallboy

Both Higginbotham and Samo deserve a crack but the reality is a guy like Samo loves the physicality and contact of the opening period of a test match, where as Higginbotham excels when a game is looser and he can exploit sone tired opposition. Neither guy is an 80 min contender but they can be awesome in tandem but need to be used in the right order.

T

tallboy

P.S I am the only guy who still can't get his head around the bench for the SA tri nations? Fucking weird in my opinion, but I am just a Wallabies fan so I guess I can't understand the machinations of the selection process........?

M

Mica

Where's the idea come from that Higgers adds mongrel to the pack? Have never, ever seen it.

I don't hold it against him, I just don't see it.

I guess it depends on what you term mongrel.
I look at it as not taking a backward step and doing what it takes to get the required result.
Better still if you can do this whilst imposing a physical presence and ideally revel in the confrontation (play better as a result of it).

Examples would be guys like Fitzsimons, Johnson and Dallaglio; and as much as I hate to quote league players on a Rugby site Paul Gallen is a really good example.

I see evidence of mongrel in the way Higgenbotham plays the game.
I remember him revelling is the confrontation on Sunday morning, making dominant tackles and yards with the ball in hand.
Also I don't think that I have ever seen him take a backwards step or allow someone to get the better of him.

Just my 2 cents

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I was a little disappointed in Higgers last night. He certainly deserved his shot at a starting position, but I didn't see the level of impact I would have liked. Samo did some good things when he came on, but I don't think he's an 80 minute player. With that said, I quite like the concept of what we have now in a starting back row with Elsom and Pocock and one of Samo and Higgers, with the other on the bench. I can live with that. It provides the flexibility to cover most situations.

I thought Rocky was very good last night and that takes the pressure off at 6.

Higgers made a few mistakes, which often happens to players getting their 'big break'. He needs to settle down a bit.

However to me he showed a clear beneficial difference to McCalman, and I was actually pleasantly surprised at this - he was much stronger in contact, particularly in defense. He really knocked some of the Bok forwards back in the early stages of the test. Unfortunately he did miss a tackle later on (Roussow I think), but he showed overall what we could benefit from having his much superior strength at this level.

I would still have Samo starting though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Samo starting with Higgers on the bench at the moment. Samo has better hands and his work rate this year has been a drastic improvement of what it used to be. Higgers can come on in the second half for Samo or Rocky (if he plays like he did against the AB's) and can add some different options to the attack.

I don't understand the need for Hodgson in the squad. He's not as good a 7 in my eyes as Robinson and we have cover for the other two positions. My backrowers would be

Pocock
Rocky
Higgers
Samo
Robinson
McCalman

I would love Palu to take McCalman's spot but it is to late with the squad having to be named next week. I doubt that Deans will pick Beau ahead of Hodgson but I would love it if he did.

One good thing is that there is a bit of competition for backrow spots that we haven't had in the past.

I think Higgers showed a bit of mongrel on the weekend. He got is Bakkies face a few times and I think with a bit more control could really be a great addition to the team,

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought that Rocky gave Baakies a bit of a work over and kept on going back for more.
That ball that Higgers threw over Butch James head which went to ground was a wasted opportunity.
I would have liked to have seen Higgers take on James full tilt and drop the shoulder into him.

Deans had that odd bench because he needed to have a look at Samo and Higgers in the same game. Stranger still to have McCalman sitting alongside them. I guess it was too tight and he couldn't risk giving Timani a run.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Higgers made a few mistakes, which often happens to players getting their 'big break'. He needs to settle down a bit.

However to me he showed a clear beneficial difference to McCalman, and I was actually pleasantly surprised at this - he was much stronger in contact, particularly in defense. He really knocked some of the Bok forwards back in the early stages of the test. Unfortunately he did miss a tackle later on (Roussow I think), but he showed overall what we could benefit from having his much superior strength at this level.

I would still have Samo starting though.

Tend to agree. I certainly think that Higgers should still be in the 22 and probably should get a crack at starting again. With that said, having he and Samo sharing the job at eight looks to be a fair proposition to me.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
he called for stats - the wallabies have a much longer history: fact is he's below the statistical average for wins....as are all the wallabies: which is a big problem (in my opinion)

Nevertheless, a players win ratio against another team has almost nothing to say about their quality as a player. Some of the best players in the world play in teams that lose most of the time. I'd take Martin Castrogiovanni over Matt Dunning, even though Dunning's win ratio against Italy is infinitely higher than Castro's against Australia.

M

Mica

I think Higgers showed a bit of mongrel on the weekend. He got is Bakkies face a few times and I think with a bit more control could really be a great addition to the team,

Yep I liked the way he went at Bakkies also.
A good sign of mongrel is taking on the biggest mongrel in the opposing side! >:D

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Nevertheless, a players win ratio against another team has almost nothing to say about their quality as a player. Some of the best players in the world play in teams that lose most of the time. I'd take Martin Castrogiovanni over Matt Dunning, even though Dunning's win ratio against Italy is infinitely higher than Castro's against Australia.

Agreed. There are a few Irish guys like BOD that I rate but they have never beaten the AB's so it can be a bit of a misrepresentation of their ability.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)

Look at Gits as well. He hasn't been in a winning team all year! Alright Brumbies won a few and he won a couple with the QLD club team and the wicks.

As for number 8's I think Higgers showed enough over the last few games for the Wallabies to earn a starting spot. And if its not going to be a t 6 with Elsom, its going to be at 8. Its not a bad sub though Samo coming on for Higgers. Unfortunately, you couldnt justify taking Palu to the Cup. Not enough form or match fitness this year. And the blokes in front of him have got form and have shown it all throughout the year.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Unfortunately, you couldnt justify taking Palu to the Cup. Not enough form or match fitness this year. And the blokes in front of him have got form and have shown it all throughout the year.
Agreed. When you look at the time that it's taken Elsom to find form, and the scratchy efforts of a few returning Springboks on the weekend, I reckon palu might be a gamble that misfires if he gets selected.

R

Richard D. James

I'd be very happy with the Samo/Higgers combo for 8. Probably leaning towards Samo to start but I think they are the best we have. Palu just hasn't had enough game time.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Even though it seems blatantly obvious that a combination of Samo/Higgers @ 8 is far superior to anything else currently available; What are the chances that Deans will make the right decision?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I am happy for Samo, Higginbottom and McCalman to fight it out. I am not fussed which of those two starts to be honest. If Samo or Higginbottom are doing silly stuff that's turning the ball over. Get McCalman out there. Alternatively if Samo is showing his age get Higginbottom out there. I feel that these 3 should be in the 22 as they can be brought in to offer whats need to the contest.

Higginbottom. I hope you read this. No more stupid passes.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What are the chances of him doing that in the next few days? I think the risk is to high.

Status
Not open for further replies.