• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Number 8 for the RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keithy

I agree Kuta88 and I believe the Big Dog could help his cause by not starting flat footed. The opposition knows he doesn't pass and from a standing start you can double team him in defence, knocking him over.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Samo has been great, but he ain't an 80 minute player anymore. In the S15 final he was struggling by the end making a few unforced errors.

I think that is probably right FP.

If you have a fit and firing Palu and a fit and firing Samo you would choose the former every time.
The questions are
1.Can Palu get there in a couple of pool games?
2. Would you throw an underdone Palu in against the Irish?

If Deans selects him, which I think he will, he cannot just replace him when the knockout stages come because he has not found form.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Comments on your criteria:

B any of the backrow can perform that role and so can the 9

Each back row position runs different lines which become instinctive. You don't want to have to think about where you should be going, you want to be half way there by then.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Each back row position runs different lines which become instinctive. You don't want to have to think about where you should be going, you want to be half way there by then.

Sorry, more referring to the cover for fullback part.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Im nont sure why people think Samo isn't an 80 minute player. The line-out steal in the last minutes of the Super 15 grand final won them the Reds the game. I would actually go so far as to say that Samo is the only proven No8 in Australian Rugby to play a full 80 minutes against top opposition.

That said, the impact of some fresh legs is always valuable...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Im nont sure why people think Samo isn't an 80 minute player. The line-out steal in the last minutes of the Super 15 grand final won them the Reds the game. I would actually go so far as to say that Samo is the only proven No8 in Australian Rugby to play a full 80 minutes against top opposition.

That said, the impact of some fresh legs is always valuable...

yep but there were quite a few errors just before that steal, he was blowing damn hard

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Samo is too error prone, honestly that guy makes me worry when it comes to the back end of the game.. on another note, the best 8 I've seen was Jared Waerea Hargraves (spelling?) in the Oz 19s a few years ago.. where is he now? the guy was a gun when I saw him running around

He plays league for the Roosters.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Vaguely read somewhere that Waerea Hargreaves is soon off contract with the Roosters and considering a return to rugby...perhaps Tahs are keeping a spot open for him not Elsom?

R

Richard D. James

yep but there were quite a few errors just before that steal, he was blowing damn hard

Definitely, I think during last couple of weeks of the S15 he was showing some major signs of fatigue. He was pulled of in the Semi after missing a few tackles. That said, everyone was showing signs of fatigue, it's a long season and Samo did bloody well for a guy in his mid-thirties.

I still think the Samo/Higgers tag team is our best bet of the currently available players.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Definitely, I think during last couple of weeks of the S15 he was showing some major signs of fatigue. He was pulled of in the Semi after missing a few tackles. That said, everyone was showing signs of fatigue, it's a long season and Samo did bloody well for a guy in his mid-thirties.

I still think the Samo/Higgers tag team is our best bet of the currently available players.

He had injured his shoulder after mis-timing a big tackle.

R

Richard D. James

Fair enough, but he missed a number of those big hits before he came off. His timing was horrendous.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I don't think there was a starting player on the field not blowing hard. As I recall, they were all out on their feet, Crusaders included.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So McCalman, Palu and Samo all get a guernsey. And Higgers (and, I suppose, Rocky) can play at the back of the scrum in an emergency. Isn't that one 8 too many?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Any chance Rocky has been dropped from the captaincy to make way for Higgers with Samo/Palu at 8? Here's hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.