• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Number 8 for the RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheNextBigThing

I'd go with 5 backrowers in the squad plus a lock / flanker so Palu for mine would miss out as he hasn't had anywhere near enough rugby in the past 2 years to warrant selection. I would also select Beau over Hodgson, though I am a Reds supporter.

You're clearly lying. No reds supporter on this board would ever admit to provincial bias.

W

Waylon

Samo.
Yes he has shown the tendency in the past to be lazy at times.
But this year he has stepped up when needed for Qld. and he will be very motivated getting a shot at a RWC that 2 years ago he would not have dreamed of.
Physicality? He was picking up SA forwards from our side of the ruck and throwing them back to theirs.
He is a beast with all the skills, has a ton of experience and a good combination with both Genia and Cooper
He is the last piece in the balanced back row puzzle for the Wallabies.

.......and the fro. It's good to look cool

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Mcalman: I've been a big fan of Mcalman but his last two games have been quiet... too quiet. (Note that he was the best of a bad bunch against Samoa).

Higginbotham: (Also not as strong a lineout option as Samo/Mcalman)
Samo: Better lineout option than Higginbotham/Palu.

Higginbotham was used alot by the Reds this year with a decent amount of success. Radike was rarley used.

T

TheNextBigThing

Higginbotham was used alot by the Reds this year with a decent amount of success. Radike was rarley used.

Fair point, but I don't see its relevance. Remember that when the Reds lineout structures were being developed, the number eight options would have been non-existent as they would have been developed with Houston in mind, not Samo. How much a player was used does not necessarily reflect on his abilities or failings.

I'd suggest that Samo's height and experience in the second-row would make him a better option.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Higginbotham looks a better bench option at the moment, Samo to start at 8 against the ABs.

Both Samo (lazy kick passes) & Higginbotham (chip kicks & rubbish one handed 10% passes) worry me with their "Cooper like" moments of dumbness. Test Backrowers should know better and be more prepared to consolidate.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Palu:
Pros - Our biggest forward. Similar type of player to Samo. When he has his head in the right space he reminds me of Kefu. Big physical presence, ball carrier and tackler.
Cons - Palu is such a frustration to me. This guy should be killing it. Is it that he is too nice and not angry enough?? He plays one outstanding game in about every eight to ten, a bunch of average performances and couple of shockers. He gets knocked back in the contact (how does this happen to a 120kg monster?) He seems to lack commitment and can go absent as well. Then when I have lost all hope he pulls out a game where he smashes players, runs over the top of people and even pulls out a sidestep while doing it ??? So why can't he do this for 80% of the games he plays rather than 10%

I can't recall many shockers from Palu, and certainly never for the Wallabies. Nor can I ever remember him being knocked back in contact unless outnumbered.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A Wallabies spokesperson stressed the operation was "minor" and would not extend Palu's time on the sidelines. He is scheduled to make a comeback at the end of the month - possibly for the Australian Barbarians against Canada on August 26.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/palus-hopes-resting-on-knife-edge/story-e6frexni-1226105247464
That said why would you pick him over Samo in the current environment.
They both have a similar kind of game and Samo has form.

Because he's much better.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't remember any games he played on the EOYT. McCalman played in the Wales, French and England games

He meant the year before, and he was consistently excellent...

If Palu was fully fit he'd be our 8, but he's spent so long on the sidelines now he'll most likely miss out.

P

pete88

I'd like to see Samo start in Brisbane and Higgers come on with 20 to go, then we will have a pretty good comparison. They are the blokes who should be fighting it out for the 8 jersey. Palu's missed the boat, he takes too long to get in form if I remember rightly (it's been a while, another drawback).

S

Stickybeak

What this team needs is work rate from all of the pigs. Palu is not a worker...or at least the last time he played he wasn't.

__PJ

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with OP's post re Palu. I'd like to like him, but he fluctuates and is lazy. He should be devastating for his size. My fondest memory of him is the perfectly legit hit he put on the Irish (?) fullback, for which he got 'binned.

On current form, I'd pick Samo to start and Higgenbotty to finish.

Oh, and hi.

S

Stickybeak

I agree with OP's post re Palu. I'd like to like him, but he fluctuates and is lazy. He should be devastating for his size. My fondest memory of him is the perfectly legit hit he put on the Irish (?) fullback, for which he got 'binned.

On current form, I'd pick Samo to start and Higgenbotty to finish.

Oh, and hi.

Nearly agreed....Higginbotham showed that he can be the type of number 8 we need last night.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Samo for mine. His combo with Genia and work at the back of the scrum (even if it's going backwards) is impressive. He is a good ball runner and is an intimidating prick. Plus as Waylon said, you gotta have a 'fro in there somewhere.

Higgers on the bench to come on for the last 20 for Samo or if Rocky gets injured.

G

gladiator

Samo for mine. His combo with Genia and work at the back of the scrum (even if it's going backwards) is impressive. He is a good ball runner and is an intimidating prick. Plus as Waylon said, you gotta have a 'fro in there somewhere.

Higgers on the bench to come on for the last 20 for Samo or if Rocky gets injured.

im still not convinced yet with samo , until he can show me that he can man handle kieran read , kaino and mccaw , then im all for him to be 8 , Palu has allready proven that he can man handle the likes of mccaw . i so hope he will be fit for the world cup .

S

Stickybeak

By doing the hard work and still having the gas to do some of the other stuff

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Palu was one of our toughest, hardest working forwards as recognised by his peers.

The last time he was fit and playing for the Wallabies he was sublime.

Anyone who thinks he's lazy needs to watch him with both eyes open.

Aside from his crash ballrunning and dominant tackles he puts in a lot of work around the ruck.

If he was fit and playing he would be out 8. Unfortunately injury will probably cost him a chance at the world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.