• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies at the Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Beau was in the squad, he'd still be in the frame wouldn't he? But he got one shot and had a mare, same as Timani.

I'd have him myself, I think he's a big game player, but the nerves he showed v Samoa may have cost him.

Hodgson played against Samoa, Robinson was only on for the last 15 and the team was markedly different with him there. What's most annoying about Deans is that he hasn't even given Beau a chance at this level.

He did the same with Samo; leaving him out of Samoa, the Boks game in Sydney, AB's at Eden Park and finally after the diabolical shit performances of Wallaby passenger McCalman he was forced to finally give him a shot. Lucky he did because we would have lost to the AB's in Brisbane again if he hadn't given Samo the small Cameo against the Boks that he did to prove himself.

I'm not sure what certain players do to piss Dingo off, but he sure holds a grudge... On the flip side, im not sure what some players (McCalman) do for him to keep picking them!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I a fan of Beau, but tend to think that Hodgson maybe a better bet, he has played a little more inernational rugby, and unfortunately Beau didn't nail his chance.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I a fan of Beau, but tend to think that Hodgson maybe a better bet, he has played a little more inernational rugby, and unfortunately Beau didn't nail his chance.

Hodgson has had more chances than anyone to make the squad and has failed to impress all year. When was Beau's chance? The Barbarian game?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Horne is surely done. But can a bloke who has had two shoulder dislocations in one season (I think it was this season for the Brumbies) really keep playing?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hodgson has had more chances than anyone to make the squad and has failed to impress all year. When was Beau's chance? The Barbarian game?

how many chances are "more than anyone"?

He was alright vs SA in his 16mns and crap like everyone against Samoa

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Look guys you can argue over who is best till the cows come home! If a replacement is called for they will pick someone that doesn't mean someone else is better or worse.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wallaby Berrick Barnes's accurate kicking a must for Australia's clash against Russia

Iain Payten in Auckland
The Daily Telegraph
September 26, 2011 12:00AM

THE importance of goal-kicking at World Cups is the major reason why Berrick Barnes should be rushed into the Wallabies starting line-up, according to former Test skipper Nick Farr-Jones.

With Australia's kickers struggling so far at the tournament - James O'Connor has hit 5/9 and Quade Cooper 4/8 - Barnes' steady tally of 4/5 after coming on against the USA in Wellington was a re-assuring sight for many with knowledge of the value of goalkicking in tournaments.

Farr-Jones' World Cup-winning team in 1991 had Michael Lynagh's unerring boot ticking over points in tough battles, while many forget it was Matt Burke's seven penalty goals in the 1999 final that took all the air out of the French fight.

Though primary kicker O'Connor is expected to return from a hamstring injury against Russia, there have been question marks over his ability to deliver the goods in crunch Tests.

Farr-Jones believes the reliable boot of Barnes is the top of a long list of reasons why the NSW fly-half should be installed at No.12 for the rest of the World Cup campaign.

"In the sudden-death matches the outcome is highly likely to be decided by which team converts their goalkicking opportunities," Farr-Jones wrote in a NZ Herald column.

"In this area Barnes is undoubtedly head and shoulders above the other candidates, especially in the heat of the moment. Goalkicking reliability can be assured by the Springboks and it would be criminal if we were on the plane home due to missed penalty or conversion opportunities."But Barnes is not just a reliable kicker. When in form, which he has been since his return from concussion, I rate him as one of the most creative players in the Wallabies squad."

Farr-Jones believes Barnes' injection into the Bledisloe Cup Test in Hong Kong last year was the turning point for the match and, with his dual capacity to put structure and creativity into the Australian backline, should be alongside the flighty Quade Cooper.

"Stand-off Quade Cooper is brilliant but as we know can also be erratic, especially when denied space," Farr-Jones wrote. "The Boks, in particular flyer Schalk Burger, will clearly look to bustle Cooper and be in his face.

"The experience, judgment and coolness of Barnes alongside Cooper or his flexibility to be able to interchange positions with him and take some heat away from time to time could be invaluable. Against a highly impressive and powerful Springbok midfield, Barnes' defensive qualities also would be crucial. Having played top-level rugby league, his tackling technique is copy book."Farr-Jones also sees Deans facing selection headaches in the second row, after judging Nathan Sharpe to be the "standout forward" for the Wallabies against America.

"His ball security at kick-off and lineout was first class, an area where the Wallabies cannot afford to stumble."

Now I think Barnes would be worth a starting spot, but when did his goal kicking become any better than the others?

They are all 60%'ers

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
FP, did you watch the game on the weekend. He's the only one who can actually kick straight and looks confident approaching the ball. I find him alot more reliable than Cooper and Beale, maybe not so much O'Connor but I think the pressure affects Barnes less. He has composure, something we haven't had since Flatley. That and he is genuinely a good playmaker and would compliment Cooper, I think we only find room for O'Connor on the wing because we want his kicking, ideally we would much rather play Ioane and Mitchell..

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As supporters, you guys must be concerned at the lack of certainty of who is the best player in so many positions this late in the game?

Who are the best props?
Hooker - you'd have to say Moore at this stage?
The best locks?
Best 6 and 8? Cover for Pocock?
9 - Genia
10 - QC (Quade Cooper)
Best centre combo?
Wings?
15 - Beale

With guys like Slipper, Palu, Barnes, Horne, Mitchell and even Vickerman coming back so late, I'm struggling to see how good combinations and good form can build before the final games.

As an outsider, it looks like there will be a huge amount of faith and pressure placed on some individual talent and some magic moments being created.

Even the goal kicker seems to be picked based on who kicked the most goals in the last game. No certainty at all. People are now saying Barnes but after SA last year it was Beale and then O'Conner then back to QC (Quade Cooper).....it's facinating to watch.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aside from Moore, Pocock, Genia and Beale there are no true certainties in my view...

If Robinson was fit he'd be amongst that small group too...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As supporters, you guys must be concerned at the lack of certainty of who is the best player in so many positions this late in the game?

Who are the best props?
Hooker - you'd have to say Moore at this stage?
The best locks?
Best 6 and 8? Cover for Pocock?
9 - Genia
10 - QC (Quade Cooper)
Best centre combo?
Wings?
15 - Beale

We had been ignoring it quite well up until now.
- Props we have no idea. Alexander will be there somewhere
- Hooker is Moore easily
- Locks is Horwill and probably Sharpe, Vicks as bench.
- 6 is Elsom, 7 is Pocock
- 8 ????
- 9 Genia, 10 Quade
- 12/13 Who knows, Barnes, McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are thereabouts
- 11/14 is Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) until Ioane returns
- 15 is Beale

Props are a problem, centres are a problem, number 8 is a problem. I'm confident with the rest as individuals, as for combinations...who knows

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP, did you watch the game on the weekend. He's the only one who can actually kick straight and looks confident approaching the ball. I find him alot more reliable than Cooper and Beale, maybe not so much O'Connor but I think the pressure affects Barnes less. He has composure, something we haven't had since Flatley. That and he is genuinely a good playmaker and would compliment Cooper, I think we only find room for O'Connor on the wing because we want his kicking, ideally we would much rather play Ioane and Mitchell..

he kicked alright on Friday, but his stats are no better.

JOC (James O'Connor) & Barnes look less "contrived" place kickers

Status
Not open for further replies.