• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What's most hilarious to me about To'omua not even getting a look in is - based on form this year - he is a lower-risk option at 10 and he plays an arguably lower-risk style than any Aussie 10. Don't want to hear it about his lack of test experience. JOC (James O'Connor) has had 1 test at 10. I don't care how many caps he has had in the outside backs, that is no indication of how he will go at 10. Even better is the concept (as another poster already mentioned today) that the Lions is too big a test but blooding him against the ABs and Boks some how isn't..

To'omua is part of a back line that is leading the Australian conference, and not playing boring dour rugby. He's playing good % rugby - but I'd still have QC (Quade Cooper).
Make this point because I've given up trying to understand Deans, and for that matter the board who retained him after last years performance.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
To'omua is not in the squad and will not be in the 31, why is he getting mentioned.

qwerty, I know, I raised it because his game time averages %'s at 10 are far far superior than the 10 Deans looks like choosing.
Nothing against JOC (James O'Connor) he should be in the 15, but not at 10

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
To'omua is not in the squad and will not be in the 31, why is he getting mentioned.

So you're selecting the final 6 now? That level of insight must be nice.

Phipps and Macalman were just brought in. Anything is possible at this point. Except for QC (Quade Cooper) getting selected!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What's most hilarious to me about To'omua not even getting a look in is - based on form this year - he is a lower-risk option at 10 and he plays an arguably lower-risk style than any Aussie 10. Don't want to hear it about his lack of test experience. JOC (James O'Connor) has had 1 test at 10. I don't care how many caps he has had in the outside backs, that is no indication of how he will go at 10. Even better is the concept (as another poster already mentioned today) that the Lions is too big a test but blooding him against the ABs and Boks some how isn't..

I agree with what you are saying USAR, but the key selection criteria you missed is the "X factor" player needs to be selected regardless of the fact that JOC (James O'Connor) is perhaps the worst (I can accept arguments that Ebherson is worse but would in turn point out he is the latest Halangahu in the Hickey/Foley grinder style) 10 in Australia. If Deans cannot have an "x Factor" in JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale at 10 he is up shit creek as he will have zero attack as his team will most certainly not build anything like the Brumbies, Tahs or Reds. He most certainly cannot pick perhaps the most X factor player of the all, and the one who is actually unselfish and plays to guide and support his team mates at 10 as that player has openly slated the game plan.

So there are three options for Deans at 10.
in order they are 1. JOC (James O'Connor) 2. Beale 3. Barnes

The following cannot be selected for the reason stated
1. Cooper - adds risk. Has openly stated he believes the plan to be poor and doesn't "buy in".
2. To'omua - no experience. No "X Factor"
3. Foley - adds risk. No experience, No "X factor". A running 10 for support plays and ball playing has no place in the plan.
4. Lileafano - no experince, No X factor.

Its hard to argue against when you consider the selection in the light of the plan. Indeed even the now injury thwarted selection of Timani could be justified as possession isn't that important, just defend and "X factor" some points.

My mind is brought back to the old joke about the Welsh which I quoted after Hickey's infamous statistics rant about winning the stats. "Wales never loses, they sometimes just score less points than the opposition."

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Geez replacing a winger with a halfback, I know we will be adding players but seems strange the way he's done it. Won't even going into White missing out for Ioane replacement.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok well I just don't see the point discussing players that will not be there. It's time to move on and back the players that are there. The order of 10s are O'Connor, Barnes, Beale, Lealiifano.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Gnostic

No reasonable game plan should rely on individual brilliance to win. The first thing juniors are taught is the 15-as-1 mentality, because that is how rugby works.

Deans is grasping at the X-factor bullshit because he has lost his confidence as a coach and knows his career in Australian rugby is swirling the drain.

JOC (James O'Connor) had absolutely no x-factor at 10 last night, or for the vast majority of the time he as worn the number 10 on his back.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ok well I just don't see the point discussing players that will not be there. It's time to move on and back the players that are there. The order of 10s are O'Connor, Barnes, Beale, Lealiifano.
I think it's absolutely hilarious that you think you can give people advice about moving on. What a hypocrite.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

T

Train Without a Station

What about Cooper?

T

Train Without a Station

You can't tell me that O'Conner, Beale, Barnes and Lilo are all better 10s...

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Beale isn't technically in yet though. Sure he's been invited to train but that's probably to see if his head is straight and he gets in the 40m times etc.

I don't think he's a certainty at all.

It's not that unusual for a coach to bring in a player in a different position when someone goes down injured. Hell in today's AB announcement Henry has brought in Todd because our number 1 lock is stuffed.

I recall a little while ago a forward got hurt and Henry brought in Sam Tuitupo. When Umaga got hurt at the 03 WC, they had Norm Maxwell on standby.

The bringing in of another player is not about like for like its about the squad balance.

Perhaps if they had their sights on Burgess but he's only about 90% they want a bit of security with a 3rd halfback? If that's the case surely they're not going to explain that and reveal a potential weakness in someone. Plus there's plenty of cover in the outside backs already in the protected 25-26.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wow, the Cooper discussion has been done to death, he won't play Tests under Deans again so can we just leave it and get on with the players that will be playing. I really thought last night put to death any remaining voices about Cooper's omission.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic

No reasonable game plan should rely on individual brilliance to win. The first thing juniors are taught is the 15-as-1 mentality, because that is how rugby works.

Deans is grasping at the X-factor bullshit because he has lost his confidence as a coach and knows his career in Australian rugby is swirling the drain.

JOC (James O'Connor) had absolutely no x-factor at 10 last night, or for the vast majority of the time he as worn the number 10 on his back.

Key word right there. I think we agree regarding what the game plan will be and what we think of it. I thought the same thing when the Tahs played it and said so. I bored everyone senseless for years saying it and I can see myself harping on about the same thing with regard to the Wallabies until after the next RWC if things progress as they appear to be going to my eye. I dread what that will do to Rugby in Australia though, the game cannot afford to have crowds turning up to tests like they have been to Tahs games last year and at the start of this year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
ACT Crusader

Frankly, based on all the private lunches and paddle boarding sessions along with Georgina Robinson's new bit I would be shocked if Kurtley isn't in the side. She has a knack for knowing what the ARU is thinking..

Regardless it's a wildly disgusting insult to every single Australian player who has actually stayed on the straight and narrow and worked towards getting into the squad. If I were Jesse Mogg and Deans gets a renewal I'd be downloading Rosetta Stone.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
ACT Crusader

Regardless it's a wildly disgusting insult to every single Australian player who has actually stayed on the straight and narrow and worked towards getting into the squad. If I were Jesse Mogg and Deans gets a renewal I'd be downloading Rosetta Stone.

Not only that but it sends the wrong message to the next generation of schoolboy superstars that its OK to disrespect the game and your team mates, particularly if the coach likes you.

Status
Not open for further replies.