• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The biggest difference between Samo and Timani is that Samo has skills - handling, passing and footwork.
He looked pretty good on the weekend. 40 minutes with him at 8 to gain some ascendancy then move Higgers from 6 to 8 with Mowen or MMM coming on.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He looked pretty good on the weekend. 40 minutes with him at 8 to gain some ascendancy then move Higgers from 6 to 8 with Mowen or MMM coming on.

Here's what I like about Samo over Timani.

Samo knows that he could be playing his last international every time he pulls the jersey on and usually plays like it.

Timani seems to play every Test like it's the first intenational he's pulle dthe jersey on for.

It's a broad generalisation but it's the impression I get from these guys.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Here's what I like about Samo over Timani.

Samo knows that he could be playing his last international every time he pulls the jersey on and usually plays like it.

Timani seems to play every Test like it's the first intenational he's pulle dthe jersey on for.

It's a broad generalisation but it's the impression I get from these guys.

Samo played like it was his last reds game ever on the weekend. Granted he ran out of gas after 60 minutes, but still a very decent performance from the old bloke.

His work from the back of the scrum is first class.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Is Burgess in the country? Surely one must be in the country to be selected for country or The country.

Deans made it crystal clear on Rugby HQ last Thursday when asked re Burgess and his availability to play for the Wallabies v Lions.

He said something along the lines, He'll be eligible to play the moment he steps off the plane onto AUS soil as he will be in Australia and have a valid contract (Rebels) thereby meeting the ARU requirements.

Whether he should or shouldn't be picked is another story - me!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I was thinking back to Deans' teams of circa 2010, often with play makers at 10, 12 and 15. From that he 'progressed' to a non-passing centre combination and even at times adding in a non-passing full back that he told to put up mid-field bombs every time he got the ball (think RWC semi with McCabe, Fa'aingaa, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)). We are now hearing that he needs a flyhalf that is 'direct' in both attack and defense. We may even see a reserve half back that is known for his strong defense and direct running but poor passing.

Does it not seem that he is going to play this test series like a state of origin game with some additional kicking added? One out runners and kick for the corners.

Wow, how inspiring.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Deans made it crystal clear on Rugby HQ last Thursday when asked re Burgess and his availability to play for the Wallabies v Lions.

He said something along the lines, He'll be eligible to play the moment he steps off the plane onto AUS soil as he will be in Australia and have a valid contract (Rebels) thereby meeting the ARU requirements.

Whether he should or shouldn't be picked is another story - me!

Maybe your crystal is a little dirty. The Rebel contract does not start till after the super xv season is over with the exception of injuries to existing Rebel players in which case Burgess would be able to be brought into the Rebel squad. The loophole to enable Burgess to be picked against the Lions has been the date of his ARU contract has been brought forward to the date of his arrival and not the usual end of season date which all other players have. Why this has been done or why Burgess has an ARU contract has not been explained by RD or the ARU.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe your crystal is a little dirty. The Rebel contract does not start till after the super xv season is over with the exception of injuries to existing Rebel players in which case Burgess would be able to be brought into the Rebel squad. The loophole to enable Burgess to be picked against the Lions has been the date of his ARU contract has been brought forward to the date of his arrival and not the usual end of season date which all other players have. Why this has been done or why Burgess has an ARU contract has not been explained by RD or the ARU.

Is there a requirement to explain it? We certainly do not know the ins and outs of all other ARU contracted players and what 'deals'/clauses they may have.

On the whole halfback issue, I think the current super rugby player options are very much alive. Haven't mind Sheehan's work of late, but I think his chance has come and gone. White has huge upside but has struggled of late. Phipps is a tryer and has improved but is still erratic. Lucas, not sure if 9 is his best position and he doesn't seem to get alot of time there so would be a gamble IMO.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sheehan started over Alby a few games ago, and has been closing games in the last 10 to 20.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
But his appearances haven't been all that noteworthy. Surely not in the frame for Wallabies selection.
That doesn't seem to be an overriding requirement for this squad BR. Making no or close to no appearances doesn't seem to hinder selection either.
Looks like the back-up scrummy will be Burgess unless he falls down the stairs when getting off the plane. I am a fan but feel bad for Nic White.

youngone

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like the back-up scrummy will be Burgess unless he falls down the stairs when getting off the plane. I am a fan but feel bad for Nic White.

I hope that on the EOYT they seriously start to blood some new players (thinking Pyle, Nic White, etc) if they are going with tried and tested (with a failing grade) for Lions tour...

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Obviously aren't too up to date. Has he evens stepped foot on the field this year? Mathewson has started every game.

Plenty up to date thanks.

Sheehan was instrumental in closing out a couple of the tight games. Winning TO ball on the goal line and making some critical tackles have been just a few highlights.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Any suggestions on who has been playing out of their skin in the 2 games since the announcement of the squad? I don't really follow individual players form but I would be interested in knowing what people think.

Cooper
Douglas
White
Pyle
Etc

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Any suggestions on who has been playing out of their skin in the 2 games since the announcement of the squad? I don't really follow individual players form but I would be interested in knowing what people think.

Cooper
Douglas
White
Pyle
Etc

Out of those I would say Pyle and White have been the stand outs so far.

Cooper has been playing solidly but not out of his skin.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Out of those I would say Pyle and White have been the stand outs so far.

Cooper has been playing solidly but not out of his skin.
Good group..what about Kyle Godwin ..think he's been impressive ...you could leave "Etc "out as he tends to be a bit one dimensional.:rolleyes:

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Cooper
Douglas
White
Pyle
Etc
Douglas spent most of the first game unconcious and then most of the second being outplayed by Timani and Pyle. He still deserves a spot in the squad, but he hasn't exactly put his hand up.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Pyle probably deserves a run with the Wallabies, but I think we probably have enough rookies test players in the squad already. I'd probably go with Douglas and/or MMM ahead of Pyle.

I'm still confident that Beale will be added to the squad. He will be carefully watched this weekend. I'd love to see the following players added:-
1) Beale
2) MMM
3) Douglas
4) Palmer
5) Burgess
6) McCabe or George Smith (if he is going to be available for the 2nd and 3rd test Id add him).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Do the same restrictions in bringing players into the squad apply as in the RWC? Eg. you have to wait 48hrs I think?

If so, you surely have to carry 3 hookers and 3 half-backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.