• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It appears a couple of the squad have been released to play the Lions

Tahs: Dennis, Horne
Brumbies: Kimlin, Sio

To my mind, this suggests that none of these players are seen as likely to play the first test. Which means Lilo and McCabe are likely contending for 12, with the other on the bench. I think that means we'll almost certainly see McCabe start, since I doubt Deans plays a debutant at 12 in the first test.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fuck. Call the waaaahmbulance you idiot. Then, while you're waiting for them to turn up, go back and actually READ what I typed.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .
You don't really need to call people idiots to make that point. Please.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To my mind, this suggests that none of these players are seen as likely to play the first test. Which means Lilo and McCabe are likely contending for 12, with the other on the bench. I think that means we'll almost certainly see McCabe start, since I doubt Deans plays a debutant at 12 in the first test.
They wont have seen much of him - I know they can get the tape but it plants a seed of doubt and that is largely the object of the exercise.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Happy about Dennis but not Horne. Is it just me or would he have been the best option at 12 if dingo wants a running inside? He's fit, in good form, hasn't been injury prone this year, can offload/ deliver to those outside him and has a great combo with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). What is dingo thinking? Does he seriously love McCabe that much?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Horne is without doubt a better option than McCabe.

The additional issue if he starts McCabe, and as expected also either Barnes or Beale at fullback, is that we have two players starting that we know aren't up to 80 minutes of test rugby. They are almost guaranteed to need replacement, meaning that Phipps will have to be the injury cover for all other back positions.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd be willing to argue that Horne is the best IC in Australia right now, he's a much more well-rounded player. I'd still prefer we had Lealiifano for his good defensive positioning, tackling and distribution but I have no problems with Horne at 12.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Reckon this will mean Dingo will go for:

Genia, O'Connor
Barnes AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Cummins Folau (Ioane if fit)
Beale

With Phipps, McCabe and Lealifano on the bench

With the flawed squad selected, I'd prefer Lealifano at 12 and Barnes at 15.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I keep hearing about Folau being an option on the wing. I don't see it and I think it is a particularly dangerous choice, as such the constant mention of Folau on the wing from pundit to professional is scary.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I keep hearing about Folau being an option on the wing. I don't see it and I think it is a particularly dangerous choice, as such the constant mention of Folau on the wing from pundit to professional is scary.

I think it makes quite a bit of sense RC. He covers the back extremely well, inserts himself into the attacking line, is an absolute handful in 1-on-1 situations and he's shown to be pretty reliable under the high ball.

From a Wallaby selection POV, I don't think he as ahead of Beale or Barnes for the fullback spot.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I keep hearing about Folau being an option on the wing. I don't see it and I think it is a particularly dangerous choice, as such the constant mention of Folau on the wing from pundit to professional is scary

How is he not a viable option on the wing? If you put him on the wing and give him a roving commission I think he could be very very dangerous.

There was an article published about a month ago stating that often teams play two 15's in the back three to great effect. Think when Roff played at 15 for the Brumbies but on the wing for the Wallabies.

Think about the charateristics that make a good wing.

- Pace - check
- Strong footwork -check
- Ability to break the line - check
- Strong under the highball - check
- Knows how to sniff out a try - check
- Kicking option - check(ish)

His ability to read the play and make positional decisions are the biggest risk, but if he's going to play 11 or 14 for the wallabies, then he's got three weeks in camp to learn the nuances of wing compared to 15.

A gamble, sure. A risk worth taking, I'd say so.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

From a defensive point of view, I agree. He's let through more than his fair share of tries through poor tackling and defense reads, but surely his ability with ball in hand warrants selection?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
From a Wallaby selection POV, I don't think he as ahead of Beale or Barnes for the fullback spot.

Nor is he ahead of Cummins, Ioane, Tomane, Morahan, Davies or Mitchell for the wing.
Think when Roff played at 15 for the Brumbies but on the wing for the Wallabies.

Roff was a 15 - he may have been one of the best wingers Australia has ever had, but he was a 15.
However, he was also one of the most consistent and multi talented players to ever play. The only 15 I have see who might compare is Ben Smith, and that's just form right now.
Think about the charateristics that make a good wing.

- Pace - check
- Strong footwork -check
- Ability to break the line - check
- Strong under the highball - check
- Knows how to sniff out a try - check
- Kicking option - check(ish)

His ability to read the play and make positional decisions are the biggest risk, but if he's going to play 11 or 14 for the wallabies, then he's got three weeks in camp to learn the nuances of wing compared to 15.

A gamble, sure. A risk worth taking, I'd say so.

I can see him becoming better than Lote Tuqiri on the wing but I can also see him being worse than Radike Samo on the wing. It's that uncertainty that scares me.

All in all, if it was an attacking, risk-embracing game plan we were going for, I'd have no problems with the risk of him on the wing, but it's obviously not and the strength of the plan we'll be playing is the low level of risk. Taking a massive risk on one of the Lions' best attack routes when your strength is no risks seems bad.

Reactions: Tex

Richo

John Thornett (49)
From a defensive point of view, I agree. He's let through more than his fair share of tries through poor tackling and defense reads, but surely his ability with ball in hand warrants selection?

Can you point to any in particular? Especially any since the first 3 or 4 rounds? I think this is a massive furphy -- a bit like the "Quade can't tackle" business. For instance, Scott Allen went through each of the tries he supposedly let in against the Hurricanes and made clear that the worst he could be accused of was not making a better read on that crazy Savea juggling try, but even there he got wrongfooted by an odd bounce of the ball.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I can see him becoming better than Lote Tuqiri on the wing but I can also see him being worse than Radike Samo on the wing. It's that uncertainty that scares me.

I think you underestimate him or at least exaggerate the risk. Samo was a forward playing on the wing having played there > 5 years beforehand for a couple of games.

Folau has been playing 15 in S15 with a Rookie back three at the Tahs and has been one of the form players of the competition. With the experience of Beale / Barnes at 15 and three weeks at camp wallaby practicing various positioning drills, I think his physical attributes and rugby aptitude will mean that he is a more than competent wing option.

Status
Not open for further replies.