• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
USARugger

I don't think they will do the kick chase game, except in very specific circumstances such as when Digby is the only defender back there. But I fully expect them to kick a lot for the corners, to make use of what I expect to be a significant lineout dominance, especially if Mowen is selected as starting 6. If he is they will only know how good he is on defensive lineouts from video. I expect that the Wallabies will play a semi deep back three on defence to try and cut that down but then will come the running threat of North (and here the BIL will feel the loss of Bowe).

I would also expect them to put up a few bombs to Kurtley as they will have seen that he drops as many as he catches, as does JOC (James O'Connor) historically. Folau they will only know from video and from my viewing he has dropped one kick this year.

I see the BIL as a very balanced side indeed with threats as a team across the park. The Wallabies have individual threats and team work in attack hasn't been a big part of the side since before 2011.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I see the tactics they want to play but I don't think they will get the job done against this Lions side. I find it all uninspiring. I also suspect we are going to be deficient in having a plan B when are aims don't just come off.

My idea of a threatening Wallaby back line would be

9/ Genia
10/ Cooper
11/ Beale
12/ Lilo
13/ AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14/ JOC (James O'Connor)
15/ Folou

I keep Izzy at 15 to de-power any high ball from the lions plus with his limited experience I would want to be consistent in keeping him where he has become most familiar. Beale with a bit more experience will adapt to the wing where he has played before plus his natural game will see him having good judgement on when to come in and get involved. I like our forward options and think we would have the pack to provide good ball.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Gnostic

The thing that worries me most about the lineout is that if the Lions do claim the ascendancy it will cover the biggest weakness in their defensive pattern. By running the English system they only leave 2 deep sweepers (15 and 10 usually) to cover the entire backfield, with 9 scuttling immediately behind the line to cover chips and grubbers. The Reds found that lush green space a few times and it paid off for them. If those kicks are allowed to roll out because they are just doing to be running the line out on both sides of the ball we will be in deep shit though.

I don't expect Digby to get isolated in the back unless there is some kind of catastrophic breakdown in communication. He'll likely be defending in the line with 10, 15 and 14 (or 8) back.

But hey just throw enough 'X-FACTOR' into the squad and 'play what is in front of you', right? What could go wrong?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I see the tactics they want to play but I don't think they will get the job done against this Lions side. I find it all uninspiring. I also suspect we are going to be deficient in having a plan B when are aims don't just come off.

When you limit the ability to distribute the ball, create group attack sequences and the ability to kick from hand is there the ability to formulate a plan B. That is my point in saying the selection of this side really telegraphs to the Lions exactly what they will be facing. It will be up to the BIL to contain some extremely good Wallaby players, but they do know I think how those players will be attacking them.

Now imagine if Deans had included Cooper in the Squad with no intention of picking him, the Lions would have formulated plan after plan around having Cooper at 10. When Cooper didn't get selected they would have been dumb founded and have to restructure everything they did. That would have been clever.

From another angle it would have shut all the remove Deans now camp up as it neatly cut the legs from under us, and provided the Wallabies with positive news instead of the stories and discussion always coming back to the missing pieces of the squad.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic

The thing that worries me most about the lineout is that if the Lions do claim the ascendancy it will cover the biggest weakness in their defensive pattern. By running the English system they only leave 2 deep sweepers (15 and 10 usually) to cover the entire backfield, with 9 scuttling immediately behind the line to cover chips and grubbers. The Reds found that lush green space a few times and it paid off for them. If those kicks are allowed to roll out because they are just doing to be running the line out on both sides of the ball we will be in deep shit though.

I don't expect Digby to get isolated in the back unless there is some kind of catastrophic breakdown in communication. He'll likely be defending in the line with 10, 15 and 14 (or 8) back.

But hey just throw enough 'X-FACTOR' into the squad and 'play what is in front of you', right? What could go wrong?

The best thing that happened for the Wallabies Lineout play was the injury to Timani. Very uncharitable of me I know, but there it is, he is a lineout liability. At least all the other possible options are effective at this set piece.

If the BIL play a pattern to tie up the usual receivers in the Australian backline I can see Digby getting isolated as he has for the Reds and the Wallabies in the past. Then they just have to face that rather difficult task of making the first up tackle. But that is the only time I can see a kick chase type play being run.

Perhaps that is also part of Deans plan about finding that space just behind the line as between them JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale would be responsible for 99% of all grubbers and chip kicks executed in Australian Rugby in the last 5 years nearly always for themselves to regather.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
between them JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale would be responsible for 99% of all grubbers and chip kicks executed in Australian Rugby in the last 5 years nearly always for themselves to regather.

Don't forget Barnes...

If they are going to bring that pish to the party we can only hope that Morahan is teaching them how it should be done!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I just think the balance of our backline just doesn't cut it...What shits me about the Quade omission is that he's that playmaker.....I see him as that point of difference we need....I would loved to've seen a Quade and Lilo combination at 10 and 12.

Ruggo, no argument from me, I would've love to've seen how the BILs handled Quade threading Horne et al through miniscule gaps, but he's not there. PLEASE, one and all, Cooper's not in the squad, can we discuss those who're in the 31 and what their strengths and weaknesses are and how we'd like them to perform.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'd ike to believe the Brumbies 10/12 combo would be good, but they haven't exactly lit up the last month of the competition. You could make an argument that Foley/Horne are more effective.

For those arguing Horne doesn't make a good 12, you're missing the point about rugby.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yeah, the next two closest wingers with "experience" were Mitchell and Davies.

Davies is in better form than Mitchell, but is a much more limited player. Davies went pretty well against the Lions for the Reds, but his limitations were also on show.

Mitchell is (was) a star, but he is not currently the player he was.

Reality is that Mogg is probably seen as more of a fullback, and his inexperience would have cost him. I would say that they were looking for a winger, which meant that Mogg was pushed further down the order. The squad already has enough people covering fullback from Deans' POV - Barnes, Beale, Folau.

For the record, I have seen Moggy play wing, and his pace and ability to beat a defender was very much on display. I have no issues with him on the wing if that is where he would be needed. Plus if he was to play FB, his ability to kick for distance from inside his 22 is superior to Morahan. Long term he is a better prospect than Morahan imo. I would also rate Betham's form to be consistently better than Morahan's and would prefer to see either of these given an opportunity regardless of "experience in the squad".

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
like who?

who has some experience in test rugby or is in top form, and is available?

This is the old chestnut argument again about test experience. Ben was pretty awful in his test appearances and I for one wouldn't have been surprised if he had never again been given the "opportunity" (in Deans speak).

P

Paradox

I'd ike to believe the Brumbies 10/12 combo would be good, but they haven't exactly lit up the last month of the competition. You could make an argument that Foley/Horne are more effective.

Yeah play Foley at 10 for the Ws. Then you'd have about 11 Tahs on the pitch for OZ so the combos would be awesome. Pity TPN is injured coz then you'd have an all Tah front row. You'd probably just make room for Genia, Horwill , Ioane and Moore although Ulugia would do the job.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
9. Genia
10. To'omua
11. Ioane
12. Lealiifano
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. Cooper

Sometime later in the year (probably EOYT) I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to that but more like this:

9. Genia
10. To'omua
11. JOC (James O'Connor) / Folau
12. Lealiifano / Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Speight
15. Folau / JOC (James O'Connor)

I'm starting to believe that To'omua might be the most 'complete' flyhalf we have, and paired up with Genia and surrounded by so many x factor players we could have one hell of a back line.........

Until then I think we can hold off the Lions but I'd prefer for the Wobs eventually go back to having an actual flyhalf wearing the 10 jersey.........

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ruggo, no argument from me, I would've love to've seen how the BILs handled Quade threading Horne et al through miniscule gaps, but he's not there. PLEASE, one and all, Cooper's not in the squad, can we discuss those who're in the 31 and what their strengths and weaknesses are and how we'd like them to perform.

I tried, but then these damn reds fans took the thread over again! ;)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
For the record, I have seen Moggy play wing, and his pace and ability to beat a defender was very much on display. I have no issues with him on the wing if that is where he would be needed. Plus if he was to play FB, his ability to kick for distance from inside his 22 is superior to Morahan. Long term he is a better prospect than Morahan imo. I would also rate Betham's form to be consistently better than Morahan's and would prefer to see either of these given an opportunity regardless of "experience in the squad".

Without doubt, I think Mogg has the best boot on him of our potential back threes. I don't doubt he has the capability to play wing, but he has been pretty much seen mainly at fullback in Super Rugby.

Mogg actually reminds me a bit of Latham. Similar characteristics, big boot, deceptively strong runner, Mogg is a bit quicker though, Latham was a bit bigger.

Let's be honest on Morahan, yes he's been around the traps before in terms of fringe selection, but what got him there was just over 40 minutes of excellent rugby against the Lions. Without that 40 minutes he wouldn't have been picked.

Betham was never going to be selected, he's been up and down in his limited chances this year, losing his starting spot a couple of times. I wouldn't say that Betham's form has been consistent this year. His ability to beat a man is not doubted, and Betham already has a fantastic highlight reel. The issue is that Betham currently makes too many errors, and has been missing at times. You can say that Deans has already shown his hand in his reluctance to pick brilliant error prone players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's be honest on Morahan, yes he's been around the traps before in terms of fringe selection, but what got him there was just over 40 minutes of excellent rugby against the Lions. Without that 40 minutes he wouldn't have been picked.

I think this is absolutely the reason Morahan was selected. I think it has very little to do with the fact that he has played one test and been part of the squad before.

Unless there are several more injuries, you'd think that Morahan is a chance at a bench spot at best. The thinking will be that he has just showed some superb form to score a great individual try and that could make him a potential game breaker off the bench.

I have no issues with this selection as an injury replacement. A guy who has been there or there abouts produces some excellent form at just the right time and it earns him selection.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This is the old chestnut argument again about test experience. Ben was pretty awful in his test appearances and I for one wouldn't have been surprised if he had never again been given the "opportunity" (in Deans speak).

Really, I seem to remember him differently, he ain't brilliant, but he isn't crap either. He is another with a strong workrate at a known test standard.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It appears a couple of the squad have been released to play the Lions

Tahs: Dennis, Horne
Brumbies: Kimlin, Sio

Status
Not open for further replies.