• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He literally said he’s squad was building toward 2027 RWC…. not 2023 …he was super stubborn with this point from day one … that’s what caused all the controversy, there’s no arguing this …
He said this once the squad had been named. This was once it became clear guys like Hooper and Cooper weren't just going to be 'yes men'.

When he was appointed as coach, there wasn't all this talk about building for the 2027 RWC then.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He literally said he’s squad was building toward 2027 RWC…. not 2023 …he was super stubborn with this point from day one … that’s what caused all the controversy, there’s no arguing this …

He was brought in to win the RWC...

And when that fell off the rails then he was rebuilding, and the entire game plan shifted...

Oh, and meanwhile interviewing for the Japan head coaching role.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

And when that fell off the rails then he was rebuilding, and the entire game plan shifted...

Yeah, well, when you realise how shit the problems really are, it is not unreasonable to make plans A, B & C

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
so Eddie jones building bad … JS building good
Yeah.

All the guys who think winning right now is important should have had that energy when EJ (Eddie Jones) claimed to be building for the 2027 RWC...mere weeks before the 2023 RWC.

JS is building but he is he disregarding that anywhere near the calibre of Hooper and QC (Quade Cooper)? People are acting as if guys like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) are a prime David Pocock or Stirling Mortlock. Hell, he's not even on a Valetini or prime Nic White level....

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ben Thomas and Jacob Beetham are seen as the cover, but it's a risky proposition for them - neither have much time there in the professional game. That said I'm not sure the game plan requires a particularly creative or elusive flyhalf, Gatland is on record saying he wants a big body there.
Couldn't help seeing quite a bit of Rod Cafer in Costelouw's build. Tugboat II?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s worth remembering that Nawaqanitwase has been drafted into the 7s squad and it is clear that RA has placed a priority around doing well at the Olympics (for all the same reasons that people want our best test team picked). So it’s not like he’s been completely cast aside.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And it's this kind of mentality that saw EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) brought back for the Wallabies.... smash and grab campaign mentality.

As if 'building' isn't a big part of what makes winning possible or more likely.

Don't forget Rennie and the Azurri. It may well be a virtue to build/experience/rotate/restrict selection/whatever, but you also need to look at your opposition with respect. More than that, have a realistic view of your own strengths and ffs don't undercook your selection due to an availability policy we can't afford. 2 weeks is it, for a new crew, a new game plan, new coaching team etc.

The general theme here seems to be that we have Wales. I'll be happy to stand corrected when that proves the case. In the mean time I remain well aware of the tall smurf syndrome.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

EJ (Eddie Jones) is a bit of a narcissist and in his world Jones is King, the rest don't know what they are talking about and must be got rid of.

DropGoal

Ward Prentice (10)
It’s worth remembering that Nawaqanitwase has been drafted into the 7s squad and it is clear that RA has placed a priority around doing well at the Olympics (for all the same reasons that people want our best test team picked). So it’s not like he’s been completely cast aside.

how did he make the Oly 7s squad if he had such a bad year for the tahs? …. It’s almost as if they took in past performances …

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
how did he make the Oly 7s squad if he had such a bad year for the tahs? …. It’s almost as if they took in past performances …

He isn't in the Olympic squad. It hasn't been selected yet.

Also very different equations. The Wallabies are at the start of a cycle with Lions next year and the next RWC not until 2027.

The Sevens team are at the end of a cycle with the Olympics next month.

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
Don't forget Rennie and the Azurri. It may well be a virtue to build/experience/rotate/restrict selection/whatever, but you also need to look at your opposition with respect. More than that, have a realistic view of your own strengths and ffs don't undercook your selection due to an availability policy we can't afford. 2 weeks is it, for a new crew, a new game plan, new coaching team etc.

The general theme here seems to be that we have Wales. I'll be happy to stand corrected when that proves the case. In the mean time I remain well aware of the tall smurf syndrome.
Different situations. Rennie had to rush those young guys through during the 3rd year of his tenure due to not really building depth in key positions and putting all his eggs in the basket of 2 oft injured mid 30 flyhalfs, a revolving door at 9 and having no plan at 15

This is Schmidt’s first squad, he needs to be given a bit of grace to build something with
The players he wants. If In 2 years time he has a 30% win rate and no plan in key positions then by all means he should be criticised

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
There's a lot of rose coloured glasses being worn when looking at Rennie's tenure.

We were consistently the most penalised team which constantly put pressure on us through field position or gifting points to the opposition after we may have had a good attacking result i.e. scoring a try.

Seeing what Les has done in one off-season with the Reds, I'm expecting this to be completely different under Joe.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This is Schmidt’s first squad, he needs to be given a bit of grace to build something with
The players he wants. If In 2 years time he has a 30% win rate and no plan in key positions then by all means he should be criticised

Completely agree. My issue is, if as claimed, he ignored guys like Rodda, Mark etc because of selection restrictions. If he is responsible for those restrictions, he is culpable. If he has selected what he wanted and didn't want those guys, well excellent. If not then my view is it is a mistake.

The other issue is the level of energy leading up to this game. I just don't get a feeling of urgency to extend coaching impact and training time as much as possible. Selection announcement seemed a laconic process at best. We seem to be treating the game as if we are up against training quality opposition. Happy if it works. Otherwise it will without doubt have more than just a whiff of Rennie and Italy. Plenty of excuses, no reality.

I'm chuffed everyone is so confident and trust in their judgement.

I haven't changed my positive view of Schmidt as our HC. I am though wondering about some of the apparent implementation at this point.