• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting Joe - I wouldn’t have described Skelton & Rodda as similiar game types.

I would’ve thought Salakai-Loto would be the lock holding Skelton’s place if any.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No way Canham is looked at as a 6. If you want a tall hybrid type player then surely Hooper/Frost/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Cale fill that spot before him.
Canham is worthy of a squad spot and maybe a run against Georgia. He's a lock for the future no doubt.
If the plan is to bring in Skelton for the RC then likely Schmidt will play someone like Rodda in his place to get us moving in that direction from the get go.

Mostly agree, though I don't think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a six. He's a very effective lock, but I don't see him as being athletic enough to play in the back row. Frost is quick enough though.

Yoda

Tom Lawton (22)
I can’t believe how unfit Tupou is. He is a 15-20 player at best based on his fitness. What do they do at training with the bloke? He does not deserve his pay at present. At his best, he is fantastic but we need him fit and more out of him. I also agree that the size of our players is just not big enough. Our forwards have no real mongrel and backs are small in comparison to other Test nations. Joe Schmidt will be at his coaching best to get a side playing to a winning style. I live in hope.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
These Cale v Wilson stats are interesting. Probably depends on which is your preference as to which ones you focus on!

Attachments

• IMG_0289.png
    IMG_0289.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0288.png
    IMG_0288.png
    396 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0287.png
    IMG_0287.png
    332.1 KB · Views: 83

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah it's line ball isn't it and as you say, very much dependent on the preferred game style. I'd pick Charlie if we are aiming to play an up tempo, multi-phase ball in hand kind of game. I'd go with Harry if the intent is to try and do damage closer to the ruck first and offload in contact.

Both have their strengths and I reckon they've both been outstanding this season.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
These Cale v Wilson stats are interesting. Probably depends on which is your preference as to which ones you focus on!
I don't think you can really analyze the players like this unless you also know what the coach was asking them to do?

These stats really just show what Kiss and Bernie's tactics were, not a quantitative analysis of the quality of each player

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
No lineout stats? Really need those to make a proper comparison, since that's one of Cale's main points of difference.
the app doesn't have individual lineout stats, only team ones. It also doesn't show where the run metres are made, Cale's are mostly out wide whereas Harry's are mostly up the middle, as indicated by Hornet above.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I can’t believe how unfit Tupou is. He is a 15-20 player at best based on his fitness. What do they do at training with the bloke? He does not deserve his pay at present. At his best, he is fantastic but we need him fit and more out of him.

Unfortunately for Nela (and Australian rugby) he started becoming more 'social' once down in Melbourne. He never used to drink alcohol but that changed about 12 months ago. There seems to be a direct correlation to his fitness since then.

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
Unfortunately for Nela (and Australian rugby) he started becoming more 'social' once down in Melbourne. He never used to drink alcohol but that changed about 12 months ago. There seems to be a direct correlation to his fitness since then.
He wasn't exactly a fitness freak in Brisbane

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

It was well documented that he wasn't the best trainer, but he was young enough and had enough natural ability and fitness to still be pretty good around the park and obviously do a job at scrum time.

From what I have heard, things have gotten significantly worse to the point where a few teammates and friends are worried he may not even be playing professional rugby within the next few years.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Nela can't trust either of his legs after a major calf injury in one, and an Achilles rupture in the other.

We underestimate how hard and how long it takes for some guys to come back from these major injuries, especially for guys like him and Vunivalu (hamstring) who rely on acceleration and power as their point of difference.

There's also the fact that he's the heaviest guy in every team he plays for. He should be coming last in every fitness drill, just based on physics. It makes the big guys look like worst trainers even though they can be putting in the most effort

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
For his size it was amazing that he could go 80 so regularly when he was with the Reds. I’d say that qualified him to be a fitness freak at the time. It is simply amazing what his work rate was on top of the scrum dominance and hit ups.

These days there are a number of 140kg props around but next time he’s standing next to another of those dudes compare the size of his neck, wrists, and ankles. He’s 1 of 1.

It would be a crying shame if he threw it away.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone else get the feeling the first test this season might be the most important game of rugby in this country ever, forever?

Despite an average SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) showing, I think there is still quite a bit of hope that we could roll out a decent team. A win to kick things off I think drastically changes the narrative here, at least at a superficial supporter level.

Regardless, I think everyone is excited to see Wallabies life after the Eddie Jones dumpster fire of a cameo.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone else get the feeling the first test this season might be the most important game of rugby in this country ever, forever?

Despite an average SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) showing, I think there is still quite a bit of hope that we could roll out a decent team. A win to kick things off I think drastically changes the narrative here, at least at a superficial supporter level.

Regardless, I think everyone is excited to see Wallabies life after the Eddie Jones dumpster fire of a cameo.
Nah. As always the only game that matters is on 21 September. These Wales games are going to get micro-levels of interest

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Despite an average SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) showing, I think there is still quite a bit of hope that we could roll out a decent team. A win to kick things off I think drastically changes the narrative here, at least at a superficial supporter level.

Our tight five looks average at best, particularly weak in the front row. We also have significant issues in the halves with no stand-out performing 9s or 10s.

I'm not sure where this confidence is coming from?

I think we have enough to beat Georgia and Wales at home but if Wales win a game or two I won't really be surprised.

Last edited: