• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I doubt it’s a shoot out between Cale & Wilson. Not for a starting spot at least. Sadly, as much as I love him for the Reds, I don’t think Wilson is going to be a starting option unless something happens to Valetini and then he would be my next starting 8. He just isn’t prominent enough in the lineout and he isn’t a dogsbody to do the graft at the breakdown.. He can and does jump and has good hands in the air but guys like Wright, Uru and Cale are all key targets. So too guys like Frost & Hooper if Schmidt wants a bigger body there. This will be even more important if Skelton is going to be brought in to lock. I figure the key selection will be between an attacking threat like Cale or Uru or a workhorse like Wright or Hooper.

I do think Wilson could be a good option for the bench - particularly if Schmidt picks two 80 minute players at 7 & 6 and is happy to get 60 minutes of quality out of Valetini then bring fresh legs on.

Linerunner2023

Bill Watson (15)
Have heard a little more on this
It was an RA decision to send him to 7s but I also presume he was going to be selected in the 35-40 man wallabies squad but potentially out the outer players so not in the 23 to start hence the option to allow him to go to France then come back in time again to the squad
Does appear to make the outside backs a little think though, surely Marika will be back! Maybe even petaia fit? After kellaway and Wright it starts to get thin very quickly

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Personally I doubt it’s a shoot out between Cale & Wilson. Not for a starting spot at least. Sadly, as much as I love him for the Reds, I don’t think Wilson is going to be a starting option unless something happens to Valetini and then he would be my next starting 8. He just isn’t prominent enough in the lineout and he isn’t a dogsbody to do the graft at the breakdown.. He can and does jump and has good hands in the air but guys like Wright, Uru and Cale are all key targets. So too guys like Frost & Hooper if Schmidt wants a bigger body there. This will be even more important if Skelton is going to be brought in to lock. I figure the key selection will be between an attacking threat like Cale or Uru or a workhorse like Wright or Hooper.

I do think Wilson could be a good option for the bench - particularly if Schmidt picks two 80 minute players at 7 & 6 and is happy to get 60 minutes of quality out of Valetini then bring fresh legs on.
Schmidt likes workman players though. Doesn't need x-factor in everyone so can see a place for both of them in the squad.

Reactions: TSR

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Schmidt likes workman players though. Doesn't need x-factor in everyone so can see a place for both of them in the squad.
Will depend on Wilson's fitness. I could see him not be selected for July tests but then be called back in for TRC. There will inevitably be other injuries in the backrow too

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think that Charlie Cale's most suitable role is #20, and I think it's also an ideal way to introduce him to test rugby v Wales. From there he could evolve into any of the 3 back row positions over time, which one depends on the balance provided by the other 2 backrowers. That said, he's unproven at test level so let's tick that box first, I'm sure he'll handle the up tempo aspect OK (which I'm told is the most common reason many players can't make the step up), but he could be a little light for a permanent gig this year, the Blues were able to shut him down pretty effectively on Friday.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Let's go, Tooley. I think it's a great thing for him to do. Yes, Wallabies are the goal, and he was in the mix, but 7's he is dynamite, and Olympics are pretty special. I feel bad for the guys in 7's who get shafted every four years.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Let's go, Tooley. I think it's a great thing for him to do. Yes, Wallabies are the goal, and he was in the mix, but 7's he is dynamite, and Olympics are pretty special. I feel bad for the guys in 7's who get shafted every four years.

just wait and see what’s coming down the pipeline. I believe the IRB wants Australia to do its best to field the best lineup possible going forward… even going so far to select RL players like Reece Walsh for a quick smash n grab at the Olympics.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
just wait and see what’s coming down the pipeline. I believe the IRB wants Australia to do its best to field the best lineup possible going forward… even going so far to select RL players like Reece Walsh for a quick smash n grab at the Olympics.
They probably want a lot of things.

TBH wouldn’t be opposed though.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wouldn't be surprised if JS picks someone like Lachlan Anderson in the 23 jersey, he had a quite start to the season but was finishing well towards the end of the season. He did go ok for Australia A last season.

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Walsh would be a monster in sevens. His lack of size wouldn't be nearly the issue it would be be in 15s.

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
Walsh would be a monster in sevens. His lack of size wouldn't be nearly the issue it would be be in 15s.
Not without a significant period of time to learn the new skills required. He would need to completely change tackle technique, learn how to pilfer and contest ruck ball/clean out and would have to adjust to the totally different defensive structures. No leaguie is going to do that between now and the Olympics, even if he had a past in Union.

Last edited:

Reds Rick

Peter Burge (5)
Love the idea but how could that possibly work? The Olympics is on in just over a month and the rugby league season runs until 6 October…