• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

dusk

Vay Wilson (31)
I still think Petaia has immense potential at 15 - attacking prowess and speed, solid in D, strong boot, and great under the high ball.

Ultimately it largely depends on where he slots into the Reds' backline this year - he was superb in his games at 15 last season and really went looking for work, so I hope he gets some more consistent time there.
Still can't believe that Jock Campbell is 5 years older than Petaia. I like Campbell and think he has potential but he's 28 and Petaia is 23. He'll have a blinder of a game (e.g. against Chief) but then put in an almost invisible performance against other teams.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do you still see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) as the long-term solution in the outside centre position SMI?
I looked forward to seeing how he could develop and hope he doesn't leave. He is big fast and seems a quick learner. A player like that can become just about anything.
I have a weakness in support of young men due to an old friend of mine helping me a lot in my youth. As he became very wealthy in his old age he set up an ongoing charity, part of which was to support poor but talented young men and I always agreed with him about this endeavour as young men are often overlooked these days.

BTW the idea was Bob Dwyer's and not mine but I can see what he sees in him.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I still think Petaia has immense potential at 15 - attacking prowess and speed, solid in D, strong boot, and great under the high ball.

Ultimately it largely depends on where he slots into the Reds' backline this year - he was superb in his games at 15 last season and really went looking for work, so I hope he gets some more consistent time there.
Great under the high ball. Superb at 15 last year. I hardly think so in either case, but he is certainly one of the contenders for the spot. Qld just have to get over Campbell at 15 to give Petaia a better shot at the Wallabies spot.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree. The Reds have good depth in the Centres with Paisami, Flook, Henry, JOC (James O'Connor) (10,12), Annan. Let Petaia be the 15 and Campbell a useful utility.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have no issue with you or several others having a negative attitude towards Wright or any other player for that matter but it irks me when a poster expresses an opinion that looks for all the world as something held by officials who actually matter. Your posts are often couched in those terms.
You have a conspiracy theory for a mind and I find this comment very odd. The facts are I am not the only one thinking he won't play FB again.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
The thing that doesn't rule Wright out of playing Fullback for the Wallabies again is the lack of competition for the spot as of right now. Could completely change by next year but we have a Teenager and Donaldson as the most recently picked in squads. Kellaway is in there but also shifts around the field as much as anyone. Wright will be the Brumbies 15 every week when fit.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Depending where Reds play Petaia and Force play Donaldson, we potentially have Jorgensen/Kellaway/Wright/Petaia/Donaldson all playing that roles in Super Rugby 2024. As far as depth in development goes, that’s about as promising as we’ve been for a few years now.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Great under the high ball. Superb at 15 last year. I hardly think so in either case, but he is certainly one of the contenders for the spot.
Maybe my memory fails me, but I recall him being a mostly safe pair of hands when receiving, and he’s shown himself as one of the best aerial finishers in the competition. I also recall him being as involved as he’s ever been when at 15, unleashing some of the potential that sometimes goes missing when he’s on the wing.

Qld just have to get over Campbell at 15 to give Petaia a better shot at the Wallabies spot.
I agree. The Reds have good depth in the Centres with Paisami, Flook, Henry, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (10,12), Annan. Let Petaia be the 15 and Campbell a useful utility.
With several of the centre options injured concurrently last season, it was a bit of a case of needs must. Looking at the centre and wing depth in the Reds’ squad, you’d have to think Petaia’s seen as a fullback option first and foremost, so hopefully gets more time there this season.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Maybe my memory fails me, but I recall him being a mostly safe pair of hands when receiving, and he’s shown himself as one of the best aerial finishers in the competition. I also recall him being as involved as he’s ever been when at 15, unleashing some of the potential that sometimes goes missing when he’s on the wing.

With several of the centre options injured concurrently last season, it was a bit of a case of needs must. Looking at the centre and wing depth in the Reds’ squad, you’d have to think Petaia’s seen as a fullback option first and foremost, so hopefully gets more time there this season.
He needs to be seen as the No 1 fullback option at the Reds and play there most of the time. Isn't this what centralisation of high performance means? RA identifies Jordan as a main option for fullback, so that's where he plays and Jock can probably go and earn better money in Japan or elsewhere?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He needs to be seen as the No 1 fullback option at the Reds and play there most of the time. Isn't this what centralisation of high performance means? Rugby Australia identifies Jordan as a main option for fullback, so that's where he plays and Jock can probably go and earn better money in Japan or elsewhere?

no - centralisation means RA work with QRU on the best option for whats best for the game in Australia.

Not some hack on a rugby forum who has his own opinions who what is best for who

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
no - centralisation means Rugby Australia work with QRU on the best option for whats best for the game in Australia.

Not some hack on a rugby forum who has his own opinions who what is best for who
Reg, is there a document detailing what the role of centralisation is? I read the Super Rugby clubs were concerned that they were signing up for a pig in a poke.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was of the strong opinion last year that Petaia was the best right wing in the country...

With Koroibete gone, I'd shift Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) back to the left wing, Petaia on the right and Kellaway at fullback.
I suspect you are right (assuming Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) stays). This makes a lot of sense for 24 but would like to see a better 15 before the Lions tour. That is not against Kellaway who has made a good fist of 15 but I wonder what the best set up is if Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) goes?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
He needs to be seen as the No 1 fullback option at the Reds and play there most of the time. Isn't this what centralisation of high performance means? Rugby Australia identifies Jordan as a main option for fullback, so that's where he plays and Jock can probably go and earn better money in Japan or elsewhere?

If Petaia and Campbell are both still at the Reds and it becomes clear that both of them are first-class fullbacks with equal opportunity to play 15 for the Wallabies, I'm sure the centralisation model would push move one of them to another franchise (with compensation provided to the Reds) so our best players are playing in their best positions each week.

I don't think it's about RA necessarily dictating those terms though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Campbell is on the outer here. The only team that could possibly consider him an upgrade at fullback is the Force. They also seem pretty likely to go down the route of playing a playmaker at fullback so might not be interested either.

I get the argument about not moving players around but I also think it's entirely reasonable if the Reds considered the following their best options.

First choice:
13. Flook
15. Petaia

Second choice:
13. Petaia
15. Campbell

Now maybe Isaac Henry could be considered the second choice 13 and Petaia stays at 15 regardless but I think the team comes first and players will be picked in the positions where it's considered the team has the best chance of success.

Versatility definitely hinders players mastering a particular position but it also gets them selected.

Reece Hodge is the best recent example. He's been moved all over the place somewhat to his detriment of reaching his peak in a particular position but it's also hard to argue that his earnings in rugby and particularly the number of tests he's played for the Wallabies is massively higher than it would be if he'd only ever been considered for one position.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
If Petaia and Campbell are both still at the Reds and it becomes clear that both of them are first-class fullbacks with equal opportunity to play 15 for the Wallabies, I'm sure the centralisation model would push move one of them to another franchise (with compensation provided to the Reds) so our best players are playing in their best positions each week.

I don't think it's about Rugby Australia necessarily dictating those terms though.

I would hope it would be tbh. Unless you have a Leinster situation, starter quality players in positions of strength should be shoved around. There's no point in the Rebels having Tupou, Pone, Talakai and the 15 months from eligible Eloff all capable of starting at Super level at Tighthead when the other super rugby sides have 7 "foreign" props on the books.

The SRU has, a month into the URC season, moved BIL Ali Price from Glasgow to Edinburgh because there's not the gametime to go around for all three of him, George Horne, and Jamie Dobie.

There's more to work through than that alone, but if RA want both Campbell and Petaia starting at Fullback rather than one of them spending time in the wing/centers, that should be their prerogative.

Of course, if we want to tear super rugby up and start again, different matter.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
Surely Campbell is on the outer here. The only team that could possibly consider him an upgrade at fullback is the Force. They also seem pretty likely to go down the route of playing a playmaker at fullback so might not be interested either.

I get the argument about not moving players around but I also think it's entirely reasonable if the Reds considered the following their best options.

First choice:
13. Flook
15. Petaia

Second choice:
13. Petaia
15. Campbell

Now maybe Isaac Henry could be considered the second choice 13 and Petaia stays at 15 regardless but I think the team comes first and players will be picked in the positions where it's considered the team has the best chance of success.

Versatility definitely hinders players mastering a particular position but it also gets them selected.

Reece Hodge is the best recent example. He's been moved all over the place somewhat to his detriment of reaching his peak in a particular position but it's also hard to argue that his earnings in rugby and particularly the number of tests he's played for the Wallabies is massively higher than it would be if he'd only ever been considered for one position.
I think there's a lot still to work through in these decision's based on the wallabies coach and their ideas - For example Eddie was apparently pretty keen on shifting Petaia to 12. That may or may not be a view held by a new coach.

More generally though I'm not sure "centralistion" will see too much forced shuffling around the 23, or see players shifted to different teams to make way for those already in the best 23 - e.g. 2 international class fullbacks wouldn't trigger a reorganization, but 3 might and 4 almost certainly would. Anything that starts playing with that first choice 23 risks doing more harm than good and is unlikely to be agreed to by the super sides who need that level of control over their match day squad. That may still be the case at the Reds with full backs in a year or 2 if Grealy comes on well, but If Campbell and Petaia are too much for one side that would trigger movement everywhere - too many locks and 2's at the Brumbies, 6's and 10's, at the tahs, etc.

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)

Force are not short of fullbacks. They have Tiatia (incumbent), Potter (played the Cheetahs series four games and was very good), then they have Donaldson, Burey, Parata and probably Stewart that can easily slot in there.