• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Force are not short of fullbacks. They have Tiatia (incumbent), Potter (played the Cheetahs series four games and was very good), then they have Donaldson, Burey, Parata and probably Stewart that can easily slot in there.

I did get mixed up about Potter. I was thinking he was a centre but he's definitely a candidate at fullback.

Tiatia is fine but I think Campbell is an upgrade. What's more he's Aussie eligible.

I'm not in any way suggesting Campbell is about to go to the Force. I was merely pointing out that while Campbell is a capped Wallaby his path to being a starting fullback isn't necessarily better at a team other than the Reds.

eastman

John Solomon (38)
You have a conspiracy theory for a mind and I find this comment very odd. The facts are I am not the only one thinking he won't play FB again.

I was of the strong opinion last year that Petaia was the best right wing in the country...

With Koroibete gone, I'd shift Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) back to the left wing, Petaia on the right and Kellaway at fullback.
I agree but I’d also say he’s genuinely capable of being a very solid outside centre when you consider his skill set. He’s a big body who’s strong in contact, a good tackler, and can beat a player on the outside.

His biggest weakness seems to be his inability to get into games at times which should be mitigated by the extra workload you get in 13.

Im not suggesting he’s better than Ikitau but I can see why the Reds might consider him their best option.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was of the strong opinion last year that Petaia was the best right wing in the country...

With Koroibete gone, I'd shift Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) back to the left wing, Petaia on the right and Kellaway at fullback.
I thought Petaia was looking really solid at fullback for a bit there too. Until he started getting moved around again. I thought he and Wright were the best two Aussie fullbacks in Super Rugby.

Either way - I hope hes given a spot to nail down. If they think he's a right wing just play him there from start to finish.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree but I’d also say he’s genuinely capable of being a very solid outside centre when you consider his skill set. He’s a big body who’s strong in contact, a good tackler, and can beat a player on the outside.

His biggest weakness seems to be his inability to get into games at times which should be mitigated by the extra workload you get in 13.

Im not suggesting he’s better than Ikitau but I can see why the Reds might consider him their best option.

I reckon the Reds will be better served with Paisami and Flook in the centres, Vunivalu and Petaia on the wings and then Campbell at fullback... but ultimately they have some flexibility in there.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)

It ain't easy to see where Petaia is going to settle, but he is the kind of player who needs a position and not become a Hodge or AAA. He strikes me as a guy who is outrageously talented but lacks a bit of self-confidence. Given one role be that 15, centre or even wing, stabilise him so he can build confidence and personal respect, then he could reach his full potential.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Petaia is already gun at 14 and given that his accuracy and decision making in using his (already very long) kicking game has improved markedly since he was first tried in the position I'd be happy with him playing 15 alot this year. Him and Jock in a shootout is a good thing for us. Its the type of problem that good teams have. It also leaves us with a great set of centres.

The performance of our young group of halves is going to make a big difference to how we go this season
There are going to be several Super Rugby teams this year with the same situation.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Surely Campbell is on the outer here. The only team that could possibly consider him an upgrade at fullback is the Force. They also seem pretty likely to go down the route of playing a playmaker at fullback so might not be interested either.

I get the argument about not moving players around but I also think it's entirely reasonable if the Reds considered the following their best options.

First choice:
13. Flook
15. Petaia

Second choice:
13. Petaia
15. Campbell

Now maybe Isaac Henry could be considered the second choice 13 and Petaia stays at 15 regardless but I think the team comes first and players will be picked in the positions where it's considered the team has the best chance of success.

Versatility definitely hinders players mastering a particular position but it also gets them selected.

Reece Hodge is the best recent example. He's been moved all over the place somewhat to his detriment of reaching his peak in a particular position but it's also hard to argue that his earnings in rugby and particularly the number of tests he's played for the Wallabies is massively higher than it would be if he'd only ever been considered for one position.

IMO petaia is not and won't be a good fullback.

If you went 13. Flook 15. Petaia then Campbell is a wing.

I think I am safe in saying that Campbell at 15 and Petaia on wing is better hten the other way around.

10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Vunivalu 12. Paisami 13. Flook 14. Petaia 15. Campbell is IMO still the best starting lineup they can put out. Allow the young playmakers to be brought in gradually.

dusk

Vay Wilson (31)
10. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) 11. Vunivalu 12. Paisami 13. Flook 14. Petaia 15. Campbell is IMO still the best starting lineup they can put out. Allow the young playmakers to be brought in gradually.
You can't seriously tell me that JOC (James O'Connor) is still the best 10 in the Reds lineup, as far as I'm aware both Lynagh and HMP are better currently.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The issue missing from most of the discussion about Petaia and Campbell is that under centralisation RA own the Reds and are interested primarily in aligning high performance there and at other clubs with their identified needs for the Wallabies, not necessarily the Reds.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I thought Petiea's best games last few years have been on the wing or after starting at fullback and moving to the wing, and he should probably be the first choice there for Wallabies with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase).

But it's the offseason, who knows how everyone will play in super and someone could come out of the woodwork to get the Fullback or Wing.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I thought Petaia was looking really solid at fullback for a bit there too. Until he started getting moved around again. I thought he and Wright were the best two Aussie fullbacks in Super Rugby.

Either way - I hope hes given a spot to nail down. If they think he's a right wing just play him there from start to finish.

You don't think Petaia goes OK on the left? For me it would suggest more frequent coming in as receiver coming off the hip of the flyhalf - I like Petaia looking for the ball from the wing and on the right I'd prefer that the wing pins down in the tramlines.

otoh If Campbell has to slot to wing for me it is right side - holding position and giving a pin to the backline structure, also better for back three D.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You don't think Petaia goes OK on the left? For me it would suggest more frequent coming in as receiver coming off the hip of the flyhalf - I like Petaia looking for the ball from the wing and on the right I'd prefer that the wing pins down in the tramlines.

otoh If Campbell has to slot to wing for me it is right side - holding position and giving a pin to the backline structure, also better for back three D.
Yeah sure I was more talking about consistent selection in one role.

Reactions: dru

dru

David Wilson (68)
More broadly on Petaia v Campbell - as said, if on the wings, I think they better suit opposing sides.

Petaia looking for action is possibly better from 11, blasting in Digbey-esque hunting the hip of the flyhalf in tight and in traffic (and givng more confidence in 12 staying wide side). Campbell is possibly better at 14 locking down backline positional play. If Campbell is to pull in other roles into his skillset, he seems better coming in from 15 to provide a first receiver option. That is not a comfortable Petaia gig for me. Petaia is a strike weapon, Campbell a thinker and director.

So they might both prefer the number 15, but they actually do different jobs.

How you pull those two roles together is a team coaching (ie Reds) issue, not an RA DoR dictate as to who wears 15. I don't have a problem with RA asking for Petaia to be developed with 15 in mind, but it shouldn't negate wearing 11 and dropping back to 15 regularly during the game. Or occasional rotation of Campbell 14 and Petaia 15. Depending on how Kiss sees things pulling together. Kiss, not the RA DoR.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Force are not short of fullbacks. They have Tiatia (incumbent), Potter (played the Cheetahs series four games and was very good), then they have Donaldson, Burey, Parata and probably Stewart that can easily slot in there.
That's great, but no world beaters and most other teams will have better options, although Donaldson made the WC squad undeservedly none of those players are near international selection, it's why they're consistently at the bottom of the table

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The reality is centralisation won’t have an impact next year. There might be some stat sharing etc

New High Performance likely not to start until the new year right? He’ll watch a few training sessions. Head coach won’t be appointed, you’d think, until the start of the super season at best.

State and franchise coaches already appointed. There’ll be no player swapping next year.

iMHO next year will be water testing only before any big changes after that.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Think your'e spot on.

2025 will hopefully be full steam ahead for it with it mapped out to a big fat circle on 2027.

Player movements with centralisation make the most sense to be done from the U18s-U20s and then have them come through a Super Side and get use to their systems before being expected to debut. Bit of future planning would not hurt.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
You can't seriously tell me that JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is still the best 10 in the Reds lineup, as far as I'm aware both Lynagh and HMP are better currently.
He will probably play 12 outside of of these 2, but I think it is premature to state without a shadow of a doubt that a 20 year old with limited game time and a teenager with barely any, have cemented themselves ahead of him.

Who would you leave out of the lineup to accommodate one of those developing 10s in a starting team? - JOC (James O'Connor), Paisami, Flook, Petaia, Vunivalu or Campbell?

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
The big short term question will probably around playing load and resting during super rugby. I'm hoping they'll get rid of it, but not holding my breath.
Isn't the RUPA agreement dictating max hours currently? If so, could be hard to shift

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
He will probably play 12 outside of of these 2, but I think it is premature to state without a shadow of a doubt that a 20 year old with limited game time and a teenager with barely any, have cemented themselves ahead of him.

Who would you leave out of the lineup to accommodate one of those developing 10s in a starting team? - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Paisami, Flook, Petaia, Vunivalu or Campbell?

Campbell.