• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

eastman

John Solomon (38)
Mine and several others here who have seen him prove his lack of talent for the position. I suspect he will be on the wing if he comes back to the Wallabies.
Do you still see Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) as the long-term solution in the outside centre position SMI?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hopefully another season at fullback in Super Rugby will sharpen his mindset, but even on the wing for the Wallabies he's going to create more good than bad...

He's such an excellent playmaker in the back 3 and sets up a lot of tries... just needs to rub out the poorly executed risky plays when the team comes under pressure.

That's the question for me. At his best he's dynamite in attack but the errors just kill us at inopportune times. Cut that out and he's an automatic starter.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
Hopefully another season at fullback in Super Rugby will sharpen his mindset, but even on the wing for the Wallabies he's going to create more good than bad...

He's such an excellent playmaker in the back 3 and sets up a lot of tries... just needs to rub out the poorly executed risky plays when the team comes under pressure.
Aside from his decision making which I do think he can improve with time in the saddle, Wright is really going to need to work on his kicking game to be a viable test fullback. The lack of good distance kicking options in the back 3 let the Brumbies down at times last year, most significantly in the semi-final against the Chiefs. He's not helped by the fact that neither Muirhead nor Toole offer much there, but if it's an issue again this year it may see Wright shifted to Muirhead's wing with Debreczeni at the back. I'm not sure he'll be able to push his fullback credentials much further if that happens.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the above assumption is Wright is smart enough to learn. i dont know him nor ever met him, but watching form the sidelines i would be surprised if he can ever be a "smart" footballer. just makes too many bad decisions for player who has been in pro sport for 6 or 7 years and at the Brums since 2018.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
the above assumption is Wright is smart enough to learn. i dont know him nor ever met him, but watching form the sidelines i would be surprised if he can ever be a "smart" footballer. just makes too many bad decisions for player who has been in pro sport for 6 or 7 years and at the Brums since 2018.
The great Dave Rennie touted Tom Wrights rugby IQ many times

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I'm sure if we narrowed down on specific games we can find examples of where Wright delivered, however, it's his consistency and 'brain explosion' decisions that were his undoing as a test starter. Hopefully he is like Chris Latham and finds that balance between crazy and consistency.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
as i said i don't know him personally, he may have a very high rugby IQ and a bit like QC (Quade Cooper) able to see opportunities others can't, makes the play on the assumption others are on the same wave length and then F@#$'s up because the execution is flawed, i hope he gets better, more consistent at least, god knows we need all the top class players we can. im just not sure from what i have seen at test level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely coaches talking about a player's rugby IQ and their potential to be the best fullback in the world are responses to questions about the player's ability after they've made exactly the sort of mistakes we're talking about and/or they've been dropped.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Mine and several others here who have seen him prove his lack of talent for the position. I suspect he will be on the wing if he comes back to the Wallabies.
I have no issue with you or several others having a negative attitude towards Wright or any other player for that matter but it irks me when a poster expresses an opinion that looks for all the world as something held by officials who actually matter. Your posts are often couched in those terms.

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
Yes that is true. I guess my concern is how do you gauge the form of these players. If Quade or Kerevi are beating up Japanese players does that make them better than Noah or Paisami playing against Crusaders/Chiefs etc. I don't think we have got this right in the past by picking overseas players who haven't performed.

Also out of interest what happens if Beale carves up in France, is he still up for selection?
Up until this year the overseas players have been some of the wallabies best players hence why they bought in the Giteau law
Korobeti won wallabies player of the year twice and one of the best wingers in the world in the irb winger of the year! And Kerevi dominated pre injury being one of the best centres in the game! Quade although not Dan carter was best we had and helped beat boks twice on home soil
If we had better talent is Aus we would not need to pick these guys. Or at least the same standard but it is such a big drop to the next guy up unlike SA or NZ
Paisami has shown little in super rugby and been out of his depth on international not being big enough to cause any damage and no passing or kicking game. If he was 10-15kg bigger and taller maybe he would be more damaging
Some players seem to lack the extras to be great

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
15 is a challenge now
Beale would have been this year!
but who is the all round fullback
Need pace but also a solid kicking game
Kellaway is a good attacker and best man atm but still lacks a kicking game
Wright can get back but a winger only. I like ane back that he takes the game on and great in super league rugby but needs to nail the moments in tests
Jorgo maybe in a couple of years
Any with a kicking game like Donaldson don’t have the running game to be a good 15

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
15 is a challenge now
Beale would have been this year!
but who is the all round fullback
Need pace but also a solid kicking game
Kellaway is a good attacker and best man atm but still lacks a kicking game
Wright can get back but a winger only. I like ane back that he takes the game on and great in super league rugby but needs to nail the moments in tests
Jorgo maybe in a couple of years
Any with a kicking game like Donaldson don’t have the running game to be a good 15
I still think Petaia has immense potential at 15 - attacking prowess and speed, solid in D, strong boot, and great under the high ball.

Ultimately it largely depends on where he slots into the Reds' backline this year - he was superb in his games at 15 last season and really went looking for work, so I hope he gets some more consistent time there.

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
I still think Petaia has immense potential at 15 - attacking prowess and speed, solid in D, strong boot, and great under the high ball.

Ultimately it largely depends on where he slots into the Reds' backline this year - he was superb in his games at 15 last season and really went looking for work, so I hope he gets some more consistent time there.
Agree he was the one I missed
Has the speed and tackle breaking ability
Feels like he just needs to get given a number and stay there then being moved around
Let’s hope he stays injury free and the reds give him a crack there

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Agree he was the one I missed
Has the speed and tackle breaking ability
Feels like he just needs to get given a number and stay there then being moved around
He and kellaway are the best candidates for 14 and 15 atm
Only way he’s a legitimate option at Test level and I think he can be.

We can’t just select blokes out of position and expect good results.