• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Cole

Peter Burge (5)
Gonna give my 2 squads a crack.
Noting the following:
- I have no idea what the injury status of players are
- I am only aware of Porecki being completely unavailable due to new child
- I am only aware of Skelton, Kerevi and Koroibete being mentioned as foreign players.

Wallabies (34)
HK: Faessler, BPA, Nasser
Pr: Slipper, Kailea, Bell, Nonggoor, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Lk: Frost, Williams, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Skelton
BR: Hooper, Leota, Wilson, Valetini, Mcreight, Wright
HB: White, Gordon, Mcdermott
FH: Edmed, Lolesio, Donaldson
Ce: Paisami, Kerevi, Ikitau, Daugunu
OB: Koroibete, Pietsch, Kellaway, Wright, Toole

Australia XV (30)
HK: Horton, Pollard
Pr: Hodgman, Gibbon, Robertson, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), De-luttis
Lk: Swain, Canham, Neville, Amatosero
BR: Uru, Gleeson, Cale, Tizzano, Gamble
HB: Lonergan, Fines
FH: Lynagh, Debrazcini, Stewart
Ce: Feliuali, Foketi, Flook, Sua'ali'i
OB: Campbell, Lancaster, Jorgensen, Vunivalu, Potter
I think thats a pretty good list, I think Jorgensen and Lancaster might be in front of Toole and Koroibete probably won't go due to Japan club commitments and form maybe. I'd love to see John Bryant get a spot in the Aus A side, thought he was great with the opportunity he got this year for the Reds, I think he has a higher ceiling than Tizzano who is a great tackler but limited in other aspects where I think JB has a better all round game. Would be very tough on Tizzano not to take him though after starting in the TRC

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not sure what you mean by "do the numbers better than me"? They were the literal numbers I used that show he played 18 games, which you have apparently seen one of...
View attachment 20641

You get that if you've only seen one of those 18 games of super rugby of the past 2 years you've missed a hell of a lot of super rugby right? A lot of games where other may have excelled, or McLaughlin-Phillips may have been found wanting?

And that if you'd only watched one game of Noah's over that time (e.g. Brumbies v Hurricanes this year), you might think he was an absolute rock star who looked much more comfortable yeah?
No, I have watched a lot of Noah over the last 3? years to know he ain't an international 10 and never will be. All I am saying is that we need to find other options outside of Lolesio and Donaldson who can step up, I don't care if they are 21, 23 or 33 as long as they can play the position.
I am convinced there are options you are not - OK we disagree so what!

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
No, I have watched a lot of Noah over the last 3? years to know he ain't an international 10 and never will be. All I am saying is that we need to find other options outside of Lolesio and Donaldson who can step up, I don't care if they are 21, 23 or 33 as long as they can play the position.
I am convinced there are options you are not - OK we disagree so what!
Yeah I’m sick of the “we don’t have good players” crowd

If we didn’t have any good players overseas clubs wouldn’t keep signing them. No one here thought Pete Samu was any good until he went to NZ, no one here thought Mack Hansen was any good until he went to Ireland

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
You might get a bit of pushback from a few of our Southern NSW friends on this.
They’ve thinned out for me. I actually expect them to finish highest Aus side but the Reds squad as whole is deeper now and entering a win now phase before players leave. Generally Test players don’t sit on benches. They chase more money.
Not so sure I think they have the weakest 10 and props aren't that strong, Waratahs also have a stronger back three
10 is a capped Wallaby and Front Row are all Test players regardless of how we rate them…

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
10 is a capped Wallaby and Front Row are all Test players regardless of how we rate them…
So is Lolesio and Donaldson (both more caps) and Edmed is a better 10 IMO, Lynagh isn't that physically developed and has probably played like 40 minutes of test rugby

the other teams also have all test players who are mostly more capped and better (i.e. Bell, Tupou, AA,)

Hogan

Herbert Moran (7)
And he will struggle as he hasn't played much rugby lately and then will be dropped again

It's a vicious circle that inevitably means Lolesio gets infinitely more chances despite never
But if Donaldson is already as good as Lolesio, just imagine if he got the same amount of game time and could build the vaunted cohesion that we go on about
The great Aussie 10 debate.

Over the past 6 months I have read according to the G&G faithful that the following players should be selected to wear the coveted Wallaby 10 jersey in place of Lolesio, Donaldson and Lynagh - the three form 10’s of this year’s Super Rugby season. This despite some having no form, game time or experience playing in the game’s most challenging position.

Edmed
Debreczeni
Harrison
Bowen
Jorgensen
HMP
Creighton
Burey
Gibbs
Wright
Pasitoa
O’Connor
Cooper
Foley
Lucas
Stewart
Hodge

Have I missed anyone? Schmidt must be a poor judge of talent not to give them all a run!! It seems that they are all the answer to solve our supposed issues at 10. Comical to say the least….

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)

Over the past 6 months I have read according to the G&G faithful that the following players should be selected to wear the coveted Wallaby 10 jersey in place of Lolesio, Donaldson and Lynagh - the three form 10’s of this year’s Super Rugby season. This despite some having no form, game time or experience playing in the game’s most challenging position.

Edmed
Debreczeni
Harrison
Bowen
Jorgensen
HMP
Creighton
Burey
Gibbs
Wright
Pasitoa
O’Connor
Cooper
Foley
Lucas
Stewart
Hodge

Have I missed anyone? Schmidt must be a poor judge of talent not to give them all a run!! It seems that they are all the answer to solve our supposed issues at 10. Comical to say the least….
It’s ‘2 Bob Central’ on here, where everyone is quite rightly allowed to throw in their thoughts. Comical though is right. There is one to watch for the future though. A young 10 from the Shore school. He’s a relative of Phil Waugh, Michael Hawker, Bill Pulver and Hamish McLennan. I never knew they were all related! Anyway, his name is Hamish Canplay- Jones. He’s in year 7 but have heard it on good authority that he is on track for a Tah’s and Wallaby jersey …and a special to walk straight into Rugby Australia post career.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah I’m sick of the “we don’t have good players” crowd

If we didn’t have any good players overseas clubs wouldn’t keep signing them. No one here thought Pete Samu was any good until he went to NZ, no one here thought Mack Hansen was any good until he went to Ireland
I agree with you to a certain extent and our player problem is basically poor coaching at Super Rugby level and a lack of talent IDing.

Regarding Lolesio and Donaldson, neither are as good as Harrison or Gordon. It's a pity Harrison was injured for a long time and losing Gordon to league was a loss.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
They’ve thinned out for me. I actually expect them to finish highest Aus side but the Reds squad as whole is deeper now and entering a win now phase before players leave. Generally Test players don’t sit on benches. They chase more money.

What has me concerned is the pre-season enthusiasm for the Tah squad. The coaching is critical and it will be interesting to see how McKellar goes. If it is the normal Tahs way, a few early wins due to a new coach and then apathy.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)

Edmed
Debreczeni
Harrison
Bowen
Jorgensen
HMP
Creighton
Burey
Gibbs
Wright
Pasitoa
O’Connor
Cooper
Foley
Lucas
Stewart
Hodge

Interesting, there must be someone amongst that bunch who can actually play the game. Cooper excluded but let's wait and see.
BTW you missed Gordon. Who the hell is Burey? Looked him up - can't remember him playing but missed a fair bit of the Force. Is he any good?

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Gonna give my 2 squads a crack.
Noting the following:
- I have no idea what the injury status of players are
- I am only aware of Porecki being completely unavailable due to new child
- I am only aware of Skelton, Kerevi and Koroibete being mentioned as foreign players.

Wallabies (34)
HK: Faessler, BPA, Nasser
Pr: Slipper, Kailea, Bell, Nonggoor, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Lk: Frost, Williams, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Skelton
BR: Hooper, Leota, Wilson, Valetini, Mcreight, Wright
HB: White, Gordon, Mcdermott
FH: Edmed, Lolesio, Donaldson
Ce: Paisami, Kerevi, Ikitau, Daugunu
OB: Koroibete, Pietsch, Kellaway, Wright, Toole

Australia XV (30)
HK: Horton, Pollard
Pr: Hodgman, Gibbon, Robertson, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), De-luttis
Lk: Swain, Canham, Neville, Amatosero
BR: Uru, Gleeson, Cale, Tizzano, Gamble
HB: Lonergan, Fines
FH: Lynagh, Debrazcini, Stewart
Ce: Feliuali, Foketi, Flook, Sua'ali'i
OB: Campbell, Lancaster, Jorgensen, Vunivalu, Potter

Bang on with the Wallabies but I think Joe rates Gleeson above Hooper and possibly Leota given he hasn't played for a while

I also think there's a possibility they leave Slipper at home

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting, there must be someone amongst that bunch who can actually play the game. Cooper excluded but let's wait and see.
BTW you missed Gordon. Who the hell is Burey? Looked him up - can't remember him playing but missed a fair bit of the Force. Is he any good?
If you don’t know who Burey is … well you definitely don’t watch much rugby.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
My advice to any young decent player would be to go overseas straight after school and get plenty of games under your belt to get good at rugby. Super Rugby is pathetically short …

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
What has me concerned is the pre-season enthusiasm for the Tah squad. The coaching is critical and it will be interesting to see how McKellar goes. If it is the normal Tahs way, a few early wins due to a new coach and then apathy.
And also, everyone assumes this Sua'ali'i is some rugby Messiah. Has anyone thought about the fact that, A he’s at a dud Franchise and B he might not be a Messiah… then the poor kid will know pressure. The scorn and hate from the disenfranchised Tah supporter.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
So is Lolesio and Donaldson (both more caps) and Edmed is a better 10 IMO, Lynagh isn't that physically developed and has probably played like 40 minutes of test rugby

the other teams also have all test players who are mostly more capped and better (i.e. Bell, Tupou, AA,)
Edmen better 10 lol... His lucky Harrison moved on and I think Bowen will take his job.

Lynaghs got the same problem as Noah, slow small but good control and plays tough.

HMP small but got something about him... But throw a blanket on them Noah be the 5/8 for the Lions not enough games left. Unless some shots the lights out like Carter Gordan did.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Bang on with the Wallabies but I think Joe rates Gleeson above Hooper and possibly Leota given he hasn't played for a while

I also think there's a possibility they leave Slipper at home
I went with Hooper as if it was a 33, I would leave him out. 4 locks and 5 backrows, with 1 of the locks (williams) able to be a 6 if needed.

With 34, I added Hooper as a 5th lock/6th backrow option.

Could have gone to a back - a 6th outside back like Sua'ali'i or a dedicated 13 like flook as currently I have Daugunu as a wing but also the main 13 cover.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
If you don’t know who Burey is … well you definitely don’t watch much rugby.
So I take from this that you watch all the Super Rugby sides and can comment on all potential 10's and Burey's strengths and weaknesses? I call BS on this and BTW I didn't pay for a Stan subscription to watch the crap they have apart from rugby. Donaldson played v Reds game that I remember.
I have watched almost every Wallaby game over the last 40+ years, I follow the Tahs for my sins and also watch the Reds. Have watched the Rebels occasionally hoping for improvements which never happened and the Force rarely primarily due to time differences, unless they are playing Tahs or Reds. OK, have you got it????

Last edited:

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
So I take from this that you watch all the Super Rugby sides and can comment on all potential 10's and Burey's strengths and weaknesses? I call BS on this and BTW I didn't pay for a Stan subscription to watch the crap they have apart from rugby. Donaldson played v Reds game that I remember.
I have watched almost every Wallaby game over the last 40+ years, I follow the Tahs for my sins and also watch the Reds. Have watched the Rebels occasionally hoping for improvements which never happened and the Force rarely primarily due to time differences, unless they are playing Tahs or Reds. OK, have you got it????
Settle down Mr Stillmissit. My point assumed you are a Stan subscriber and you watch most Super Rugby games. It’s not BS if you are interested in rugby. I actually watch all the games so know all the players from each team. As an ex 10, I do know all the players who play that position and take an interest in all their development. Anyway, I apologise if I offended you.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Settle down Mr Stillmissit. My point assumed you are a Stan subscriber and you watch most Super Rugby games. It’s not BS if you are interested in rugby. I actually watch all the games so know all the players from each team. As an ex 10, I do all the players who play that position and take an interest in all their development. Anyway, I apologise if I offended you.
My last post before self-imposed stand down, but I agree with your criticism Yoda. Too many posters seem to watch only the side they support. If they were fair dinkum they'd start every post with a disclaimer.