• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've made thousands of posts on this forum about steps that could be taken to improve rugby. But RA have just kept doing the same things. Dunno what else you want from me, really. Some banal positive bullshit that completely ignores all evidence or reality?
It's faith without facts it is amazing, try it sometime.
BTW I am not stating that facts are irrelevant but sometimes you just need to jump.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ignoring the current 10 potentials, who else should be in the mix that is currently not?

I will start with Harry McLaughlin-Phillips only saw him play one game but I think he has it.

I have also said that I think McLaughlin-Phillips is the most promising option on the horizon.

He's 20 and has barely played Super Rugby though. Surely you're not suggesting that the best thing for him and the Wallabies is to select him now?

I certainly don't think he's shown that he's a better player than Lolesio and Donaldson right now.
BH this is the issue, if you accept that a world class coach you are paying a mil a year for cannot ID others who should be in the mix, then you are in deep shit. We don't have the time to be conservative, we have to bring on the best young talent we have and that is why I would be using Aus A to test them on. You do not see real talent until pressure is applied and at this time there is little pressure on both these 10's.

You are making the assertion that Schmidt isn't aware of these players. I think that is a ridiculous position to take.

We also haven't played an Australia A game nor selected a squad for it since Schmidt took the job.

For the record I don't think HMP should go on that tour. At this stage he'd be better served getting a full off-season in.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I normally ignore all the harebrained comments about getting Cleary over to union but Panthers CEO is keen on Fowler relocating back to Sydney.

Chess Master Cheika, coach of Leicester, is currently on the hunt to replace 1 x expensive, world renowned flyhalf Handre Pollard who wants out. Sign Cleary, do your duty to Australia from England. Pay him a million quid, he'd destroy Finn Russell. Fuck it, RA can tip in a couple hundred grand too from here, as long as he's eligible straight away. It's a 2 hour drive down the M1 from Mary Fowler's Club Man City. He's over there now, get him in for Australia A.

You know it makes sense!

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Actually even better, George Ford at Sale is injured for the rest of the season. Let Cleary play there as a medical joker and live in the same city as his girlfriend.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
But that’s the problem, it’s much harder to push your case when you are yo-yo’d in and out of the team. We wouldn’t know if any of them are better than Noah because none of them have been given a decent shot at it

Donaldson has looked good in his cameos and had the attack humming in the first half vs Argentina. Would be good to see him get 3 starts in a row to build something

Noah has not shown anything to deserve this continued preferential treatment
So we had some insight from Schmidt along the way that short kicking game and game management are big on his list. Take that with him not demanding a position when given chances, and having a worse super rugby season.

What we don't see is the training paddock, which Joe does and his clearly decided Noah's the better bet.

Joe will live and die by his pick, 3 games for Donaldson and then if his shit, your back to Noah for the Lions with less game time.

Kinda like me wanting Toole to have game time on the wing. But Joe's clearly stated his not the fastest guy in the squad a few times, his not as strong as he wants and his high ball needs work.

I'll trust him on the speed, but I can't think of another player who burns people like he does. Maybe top speed verse acceleration..

But Joe wants more and it's at the stage where his watched them enough he is picked his man

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Friendly reminder that Eddie Jones is a "very experienced international coach"

Blind trust in a human being never being wrong isn't a great strategy
I'd still trust Eddie more then myself and this forum.. And by the sounds of it you and him where on the same page

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who are these amazing players that he's failing to identify?

I am not a fan of Lolesio and you can look back through years of posts on this forum that attest to that. I am pretty comfortable saying that it is perfectly reasonable to decide that he's the best option we currently have and stick with him.

Donaldson is fine. I reject the assertion that he's clearly better than Lolesio which I think is the required threshold for Schmidt not to just pick and stick with what he's decided is his best option.
But if Donaldson is already as good as Lolesio, just imagine if he got the same amount of game time and could build the vaunted cohesion that we go on about

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
urely you're not suggesting that the best thing for him and the Wallabies is to select him now?
No! I'm suggesting that if we have players like HMP a 10 and Teddy Wilson a 9 with some wraps on him, they should be selected in Aus A to play and see if they look like they can step up. Good coaches have a good understanding of which youngsters can step up and who can't. We all wait until it is obvious and by then we may have lost them to league or they got bored training and getting no game time ie the Tahs complex/simplex and go overseas.
The key bit is we are not overstocked with naturally talented players so we need to sift what we have if the coaches can't decide who could be great in 3 years for RWC, that ain't that far away and we need to be having a close look at these talented youngsters now.
I was surprised that Teddy Wilson only got 60 mins of game time in the whole of 24. HMP did a lot better under Les Kiss.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No! I'm suggesting that if we have players like HMP a 10 and Teddy Wilson a 9 with some wraps on him, they should be selected in Aus A to play and see if they look like they can step up. Good coaches have a good understanding of which youngsters can step up and who can't. We all wait until it is obvious and by then we may have lost them to league or they got bored training and getting no game time ie the Tahs complex/simplex and go overseas.
The key bit is we are not overstocked with naturally talented players so we need to sift what we have if the coaches can't decide who could be great in 3 years for RWC, that ain't that far away and we need to be having a close look at these talented youngsters now.
I was surprised that Teddy Wilson only got 60 mins of game time in the whole of 24. HMP did a lot better under Les Kiss.

I'm a massive fan of Wilson and have watched him play a lot of rugby. He has very little in the way of a kicking game yet and that has held him back from getting more game time at the Waratahs.

There's also the question of what was better for his development this season. Is playing 10 minutes off the bench each week at Super Rugby level better than playing close to 80 minutes at club level? He also had a brief secondment to the Aussie Sevens side (which then cost him a couple of games because he got concussed quite badly).

Would I select these guys for the Aussie A tour? It would be close but I'd also be erring on the side of letting them have the full offseason to develop.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Ignoring the current 10 potentials, who else should be in the mix that is currently not?

I will start with Harry McLaughlin-Phillips only saw him play one game but I think he has it.
You think he has it to be put on the end of year tour after seeing him once, start for the Wallabies and best the Lions when he hadn't clearly won the reds or under 20's job....And people said Eddie was insane

wamberal99

Jim Clark (26)

He has the potential, but if he gets thrown into the cauldron of Test match rugby too early he could fail.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)

Between the under 20s and Reds Harry McLaughlin-Phillips has played about 18 matches in the last 2 years. How are you watching that little Super Rugby/Under 20s and coming in commenting so confidently on which young and upcoming players should be picked?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Gonna give my 2 squads a crack.
Noting the following:
- I have no idea what the injury status of players are
- I am only aware of Porecki being completely unavailable due to new child
- I am only aware of Skelton, Kerevi and Koroibete being mentioned as foreign players.

Wallabies (34)
HK: Faessler, BPA, Nasser
Pr: Slipper, Kailea, Bell, Nonggoor, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Lk: Frost, Williams, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Skelton
BR: Hooper, Leota, Wilson, Valetini, Mcreight, Wright
HB: White, Gordon, Mcdermott
FH: Edmed, Lolesio, Donaldson
Ce: Paisami, Kerevi, Ikitau, Daugunu
OB: Koroibete, Pietsch, Kellaway, Wright, Toole

Australia XV (30)
HK: Horton, Pollard
Pr: Hodgman, Gibbon, Robertson, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), De-luttis
Lk: Swain, Canham, Neville, Amatosero
BR: Uru, Gleeson, Cale, Tizzano, Gamble
HB: Lonergan, Fines
FH: Lynagh, Debrazcini, Stewart
Ce: Feliuali, Foketi, Flook, Sua'ali'i
OB: Campbell, Lancaster, Jorgensen, Vunivalu, Potter

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Between the under 20s and Reds Harry McLaughlin-Phillips has played about 18 matches in the last 2 years. How are you watching that little Super Rugby/Under 20s and coming in commenting so confidently on which young and upcoming players should be picked?
Well apart from having been around and with rugby players for 50 years and seen a few good ones - there is this, assuming they can do the numbers better than you. So in 18 games we have no idea if he is any good or not. I only watched him play that one game @ Reds and a bit of U20s but I reckon he looks more comfortable at 10 than Noah has ever done.
Formatting is crap but you get the picture..

23/24
drapeau Reds
logo Reds
Reds Super Rugby Pacific74 0 32 1921200'
drapeau Australie U20
logo Australie U20
Australie U20s Rugby Championship U2010 0 11 221080'
U20 Championship52 1 25 5729222'

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was an analogy. Of course there are other managers out there that a business can hire.

This is Australian Rugby though. We literally have four starting Super Rugby 10s to choose from and they are Noah Lolesio, Ben Donaldson, Tom Lynagh and Tane Edmed. Aside from Tane Edmed all of them have played for the Wallabies this year.

The idea that there's a better option to play 10 for the Wallabies out there right now but Schmidt hasn't worked out who they are is just ridiculous.
I’m not saying he’s not aware of these players. I’m saying he’s got the selection wrong, and is making it so we will never know whether he is right or wrong by ensuring his boy Noah gets chance after chance despite never playing a great test

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
There's a few commentators out there inc Nick Bishop who think Quade will go on the EOYT. I can't believe it but who knows..
I would be incredibly surprised, and it would also require release from Kintetsu at the back end of their preseason (first match 21/12). I suspect that if Joe was in any way, shape, or form wanting to have a look at Quade, it would've already happened.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
Well apart from having been around and with rugby players for 50 years and seen a few good ones - there is this, assuming they can do the numbers better than you. So in 18 games we have no idea if he is any good or not. I only watched him play that one game @ Reds and a bit of U20s but I reckon he looks more comfortable at 10 than Noah has ever done.
Formatting is crap but you get the picture..

23/24
drapeau Reds
logo Reds
Reds Super Rugby Pacific74 0 32 1921200'
drapeau Australie U20
logo Australie U20
Australie U20s Rugby Championship U2010 0 11 221080'
U20 Championship52 1 25 5729222'

Not sure what you mean by "do the numbers better than me"? They were the literal numbers I used that show he played 18 games, which you have apparently seen one of...
1728626672444.png

You get that if you've only seen one of those 18 games of super rugby of the past 2 years you've missed a hell of a lot of super rugby right? A lot of games where other may have excelled, or McLaughlin-Phillips may have been found wanting?

And that if you'd only watched one game of Noah's over that time (e.g. Brumbies v Hurricanes this year), you might think he was an absolute rock star who looked much more comfortable yeah?