• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I could understand Sapsford @Brumby Runner but I do think Flook if not injured is that guy for the squad. He does need a bit more size IMO that Sapsford has right now though.

I like Lonergan but think he lacks the x factor to break a game like Tate does have in his bag. He's a good player but we already have enough guys probably just under the standard.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I'd bring in Ollie Sapsford if I had any influence. He's a big, fast, versatile player who has an enviable winning record at Super level.

At 191cm tall and weighing 104kg, he has the size to make a difference. Can play anywhere from 11 to 14 with sufficient pace to play winger. He has played 38 Super Rugby games for 27 wins, and 37 NPC games for 24 wins. That is a record unlikely to be equalled by any other prospects atm. He has played 12 27% of games, 13 16%, 11 16% and 14 42%. That is versatility writ large.

While I'm at it, I maintain we don't have a No 9 who consistently plays well, and I think Nic White is near enough to the end of his career, so I'd also bring in Ryan Lonergan.
Sapsford is definitely big and versatile. It’s a shame Bayley Kuenzle is injured as I would suggest him. On half backs, I thought young Lonergan was very unlucky to not be selected for the RWC instead of Fines-Leleiwesa. I’m looking forward to watching ex Aussie 20’s 9 Henry Robertson at the Force this year getting game time. One to watch.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I could understand Sapsford @Brumby Runner but I do think Flook if not injured is that guy for the squad. He does need a bit more size IMO that Sapsford has right now though.

I like Lonergan but think he lacks the x factor to break a game like Tate does have in his bag. He's a good player but we already have enough guys probably just under the standard.
I think Flook is a great footballer. Not sure he is big enough for Test level. Needs space to show his skills in attack but defensively shown up in his brief stint v Argies. Hit the gym Flooky.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
We just canned the Rebels which should strengthen the other Super Rugby sides. It’s going to take time. There is no instant fix.
There are some good young players coming through the system who will eventually come good at test level.
Consistency should be the goal, for the Wallabies and the Super Rugby sides.
The Rebels this year were an average to good side. Only just made the top eight and went out of the finals series at the first hurdle. Not a lot of their players will add to the quality of the other four teams. Canham and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at the Reds will strengthen their chances, while Tupu and Kailea will give the Tahs a big boost. The Force are probably not improved by their gains while the Brumbies will be weaker through the losses of Swain, Tua and Brown with only Tuilima (?) and Feliuai coming in.

The Reds will probably be in the top 4 next year. I hope the Brumbies can also make it but their depth in the forwards has been significantly weakened. The Tahs will show improvement (perhaps only for the 30 minutes each game Tupou is on the field) while I don't think the Force will make any significant improvements. I am not at all confident that rugby in this country will reach greatness with the exclusion of the Rebels.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
SOJ. Disagree with you. So you think Lolesio is the better 10 based on some poor exits by Donaldson in only his second starting Test this year? Crazy. Give him another 11 Tests like Lolesio has had and see how he goes. If you didn’t know v Argentina was Ben’s 5 th starting Test as a 10. Not a lot to master your craft at the top level. He is the best attacking 10 we have and yes he may need to get better at other aspects of his game but he won’t do that getting 5 minutes from the bench. He has a great passing game, big kick and is deceptively fast. Kicked 100% of his goals. If he was playing at the Brumbies under Larkham the last few years I hazard a guess he would be a better player than he is now. The Tahs stuffed his development. Cron has backed him as his 10 this year and he relished the confidence and it showed in his play. If Noah resumes the 10 role v the All Blacks, which I’m assuming he will, I’m guessing you will see Donaldson starting 10 on the Britain tour in November. Anyone still thinking Lynagh is the answer is way off the mark unless you are a Reds tragic. Calls for QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper), Foley or JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) . Sorry. You’ve lost me. They are past it. Obviously just my thoughts and observations as an old ex10.
I’m not basing that opinion on 15 minutes, just using it as an example. I think Donaldson has struggled for kicking at test level.

Agree with you that if the Brumbies had brought up Donaldson he’d be a better player. Alas.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Flook is a great footballer. Not sure he is big enough for Test level. Needs space to show his skills in attack but defensively shown up in his brief stint v Argies. Hit the gym Flooky.
Not surprising he finishes every game looking busted. Probably a guy that would benefit from a full off season. Eat and workout son. I think he will fill out a bit more and probably sit in that 88-92kg mark which is fine for a skills player. Guys with the anglo heritage tend to take a bit longer for it to naturally hit.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I’m not basing that opinion on 15 minutes, just using it as an example. I think Donaldson has struggled for kicking at test level.

Agree with you that if the Brumbies had brought up Donaldson he’d be a better player. Alas.
Your argument that Lolesio is the better 10 doesn’t stand up imo though. He has had over 10 more starting Tests and is still average. I would say Noah has struggled big time in controllong a game. Donaldson will only get better with more experience. Agree to very much disagree.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Sapsford isn't eligible (New Zealand born) as far as I'm aware - and at least 2 years from being so (unless he has family I suppose?)

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
Your argument that Lolesio is the better 10 doesn’t stand up imo though. He has had over 10 more starting Tests and is still average. I would say Noah has struggled big time in controllong a game. Donaldson will only get better with more experience. Agree to very much disagree.
Yes agree to disagree. I’d love for you to be right and Donaldson comes through the pack as a great 10 but we have lost some bad tests with him whilst Lolesio does seem to get us wins even when he plays poorly, which I think is down to those basic skills being a little more refined.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Not surprising he finishes every game looking busted. Probably a guy that would benefit from a full off season. Eat and workout son. I think he will fill out a bit more and probably sit in that 88-92kg mark which is fine for a skills player. Guys with the anglo heritage tend to take a bit longer for it to naturally hit.
88 - 92 kg mark. That's Donaldson, Paisami, Stewart, Ikitau, Kellaway, Koroibete, Daugunu, and more. This is our current backline and by popular acclaim is overall undersized. Where are the bigger bodies? Lolesio, Lynagh and Toole are even smaller.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
But if it's his effective weight then it's fine. You can'y make him 100kg and then expect him to move well. Don't know if you follow the NRL but the Broncos did it to Ben Barba when they signed him. Plow weight on him and then everyone criticised his lack of ability all of a sudden.

I'd be confident saying Flook is a better footballer than all those guys except Ikitau and will probably be equal with Kellaway long term. And don't want to be that guy but Ikitau is listed as 96kg and Daugunu at 98kg on the RA website and they'll probably get heavier as he gets older. Not many of the PI boys shrink.

I do agree that Lolesio and Lynagh are quite small and I don't think very quick which is usually the saviour. Unpopular opinion I'm sure but atm I see Tom Lynagh as nothing more than Bryce Hegarty with a famous surname. Young so I'm sure he'll prove me the idiot I am but lets not expect too much just yet.

Last edited:

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
He's played for Australia A so he is not only eligible, but captured.

mourinho-jose-mourinho.gif

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Yes agree to disagree. I’d love for you to be right and Donaldson comes through the pack as a great 10 but we have lost some bad tests with him whilst Lolesio does seem to get us wins even when he plays poorly, which I think is down to those basic skills being a little more refined.
‘Lost some bad Tests with him’? Won v Wales in 2022. Wales at the RWC … yes lost… forwards were smashed and no one played well. Had a coach with no game plan. Won v Portugal. Won v Georgia. Lost v Argentina and all the carnage happened after he was replaced? Aussies looked great early. They are all his starting Tests at 10. So disagree after looking at the facts. That’s ok. I Hope all our young 10’s improve.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
But if it's his effective weight then it's fine. You can'y make him 100kg and then expect him to move well. Don't know if you follow the NRL but the Broncos did it to Ben Barba when they signed him. Plow weight on him and then everyone criticised his lack of ability all of a sudden.

I'd be confident saying Flook is a better footballer than all those guys except Ikitau and will probably be equal with Kellaway long term. And don't want to be that guy but Ikitau is listed as 96kg and Daugunu at 98kg on the RA website and they'll probably get heavier as he gets older. Not many of the PI boys shrink.

I do agree that Lolesio and Lynagh are quite small and I don't think very quick which is usually the saviour. Unpopular opinion I'm sure but atm I see Tom Lynagh as nothing more than Bryce Hegarty with a famous surname. Young so I'm sure he'll prove me the idiot I am but lets not expect too much just yet.
Ikitau is listed on all.rugby which is where I have obtained all the weight data for the players mentioned, as being 90kg. I concede that Filipo is listed at 98kg, but that only puts him halfway to the higher weight of Sapsford.

I think you have nailed the description of Lynagh by comparing him with Hegarty. I just don't see the potential for him to reach test match standard.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
‘Lost some bad Tests with him’? Won v Wales in 2022. Wales at the RWC … yes lost… forwards were smashed and no one played well. Had a coach with no game plan. Won v Portugal. Won v Georgia. Lost v Argentina and all the carnage happened after he was replaced? Aussies looked great early. They are all his starting Tests at 10. So disagree after looking at the facts. That’s ok. I Hope all our young 10’s improve.
All the winning in that game came after he was replaced by Noah, just like the shellacking by Argentina came after he was replaced. But the game was well and truly lost while he was on the ground.