• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently Mark Nawaqanitawase benched 170kg in the lead up to the Olympics which amazed everyone.

No wonder he's so strong in contact.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
yeah mate, I do 270 easy

1725585585295.png

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Any left field tips for who might get parachuted into the squad for the NZ tests?
A contingent of Reds players; Zane, Hodgman, Fraser, Wright and Uru.

Nationally or even internationally, we have absolutely no other backs that are fit and can come into the squad. Maybe Giteau??

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Any left field tips for who might get parachuted into the squad for the NZ tests?
I doubt anyone. Why? There seems to be this dream that all the overseas players would be so much better and have us winning all our Tests…. I’d take Skelton and Rodda….that’s it… and that seems unlikely.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodgeman, Blake Schoup? Who else do we have at LH. For now it will be Bell and Kailea if fit. Sadly Slipper was smashed as soon as he came on. Surely there was more to it than just the LH prop? AAA looked a little more solid but he too will be found out by better front rows. We need to find a decent set of bench props before the EOYT.
Obviously we missed LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) although I thought Williams was one of our best when on the field. More likely a long term option at 6 when LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and McReight return and Valetini goes back to 8.
At 20-3 late in the first half I was thinking OK, one more try should just about seal this. Maybe they were thinking the same? Tupou and Bell need to play the whole first half and 10-15 of the second if needed, at a minimum. Calling to come off after 30 minutes is a joke, particularly when you are paid so much to play. That is the big dance and time to come to the party knowing you have a couple of weeks off to recover.
The defensive structure was horrible, right from the start. We dominated possession in that first 30 but it was only due to the obstruction that Los Pumas did not have a try on the board. They made easy yards The whole game.
Two steps forward and one step back

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We just canned the Rebels which should strengthen the other Super Rugby sides. It’s going to take time. There is no instant fix.
There are some good young players coming through the system who will eventually come good at test level.
Consistency should be the goal, for the Wallabies and the Super Rugby sides.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think we saw a good game (relative to the rest of the team) by Donaldson on the weekend and the 321 votes are fair but in my mind it’s only solidified my view that Lolesio is the number one option at 10 currently.

Don’t get me wrong, Lolesio has had some genuinely awful games this year.

IMO though the turning point on the weekend was from minute 35 to 50 when we had several consecutive poor exits and Donaldson looked very powerless to release the pressure valve that was building up. Obviously other players getting hammered contributed to that but our 10 needs to be able to play at least somewhat decisively from a beaten pack which I think Lolesio does a bit better than Donaldson.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
A contingent of Reds players; Zane, Hodgman, Fraser, Wright and Uru.

Nationally or even internationally, we have absolutely no other backs that are fit and can come into the squad. Maybe Giteau??

I think your absolutely correct and don't take this the wrong way Reds die hard fans but are we surprised we're getting rolled when it's calls like this for player involvement.... Not like the Reds won the comp, finished top 4 or made the second round of the finals... We are just a in a bad hole.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'd bring in Ollie Sapsford if I had any influence. He's a big, fast, versatile player who has an enviable winning record at Super level.

At 191cm tall and weighing 104kg, he has the size to make a difference. Can play anywhere from 11 to 14 with sufficient pace to play winger. He has played 38 Super Rugby games for 27 wins, and 37 NPC games for 24 wins. That is a record unlikely to be equalled by any other prospects atm. He has played 12 27% of games, 13 16%, 11 16% and 14 42%. That is versatility writ large.

While I'm at it, I maintain we don't have a No 9 who consistently plays well, and I think Nic White is near enough to the end of his career, so I'd also bring in Ryan Lonergan.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I think we saw a good game (relative to the rest of the team) by Donaldson on the weekend and the 321 votes are fair but in my mind it’s only solidified my view that Lolesio is the number one option at 10 currently.

Don’t get me wrong, Lolesio has had some genuinely awful games this year.

IMO though the turning point on the weekend was from minute 35 to 50 when we had several consecutive poor exits and Donaldson looked very powerless to release the pressure valve that was building up. Obviously other players getting hammered contributed to that but our 10 needs to be able to play at least somewhat decisively from a beaten pack which I think Lolesio does a bit better than Donaldson.
SOJ. Disagree with you. So you think Lolesio is the better 10 based on some poor exits by Donaldson in only his second starting Test this year? Crazy. Give him another 11 Tests like Lolesio has had and see how he goes. If you didn’t know v Argentina was Ben’s 5 th starting Test as a 10. Not a lot to master your craft at the top level. He is the best attacking 10 we have and yes he may need to get better at other aspects of his game but he won’t do that getting 5 minutes from the bench. He has a great passing game, big kick and is deceptively fast. Kicked 100% of his goals. If he was playing at the Brumbies under Larkham the last few years I hazard a guess he would be a better player than he is now. The Tahs stuffed his development. Cron has backed him as his 10 this year and he relished the confidence and it showed in his play. If Noah resumes the 10 role v the All Blacks, which I’m assuming he will, I’m guessing you will see Donaldson starting 10 on the Britain tour in November. Anyone still thinking Lynagh is the answer is way off the mark unless you are a Reds tragic. Calls for QC (Quade Cooper), Foley or JOC (James O'Connor) . Sorry. You’ve lost me. They are past it. Obviously just my thoughts and observations as an old ex10.