• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
Definitely fitness and probably a bit of explosiveness on average across the park but I would argue that what Bell and Tupou or Etzebeth are able to do for example is a higher degree of physicality than say a Paul Gallen hitting it up. Tupou playing 50-60 mins on average is akin to the average person running a marathon every week.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I should've been more specific - by physicality I meant more the brutality, particularly of collisions. Obviously this is not to say there aren't big hits in Union, but speaking on averages

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I guarantee Gordon’s short kicking game and cross field kicking will be much improved from some time in league. They focus far more on core skills than rugby in the halves.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Could you imagine McCaw and Dan Carter encouraging Will Jordan to go an play for the Warriors?
McCaw and Carter never played league growing up while O’Connor and Cooper played plenty. They also weren’t immersed in NRL culture like we are in Australia.

Basically it’s a ridiculous comparison, and post from someone out of touch.

Alex Sharpe

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ah no mate, its not ridiculous. DC was approached by nrl plenty of times and even the NFL. He would be well within his rights to feel regret about not pursuing new experiences.

You keep your opinion and I’ll keep my out of touch opinions

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah I'm nervous he'll be a Titans hero. I assume League's flyhalves get paid decently unlike their wingers?
A Titans hero is still Mr Irrelevant in the NRL. An average five-eight in the NRL would be on 750k with a ceiling of 1.1m. He won't get anywhere near that for a couple years. If he performs theyll upgrade him but they have zero tolerance and will cast players aside. Heaps of state cup players have 10-20 NRL games.
I guarantee Gordon’s short kicking game and cross field kicking will be much improved from some time in league. They focus far more on core skills than rugby in the halves.
It's up to him to improve it or they'll kick him out of the joint real quick. Especially if Ben Hunt wants out at the Dragons and back to QLD. They won't hold onto some Q Cup development prospect.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Definitely fitness and probably a bit of explosiveness on average across the park but I would argue that what Bell and Tupou or Etzebeth are able to do for example is a higher degree of physicality than say a Paul Gallen hitting it up. Tupou playing 50-60 mins on average is akin to the average person running a marathon every week.
Their fitness is on another level to Rugby players. It's the repeated efforts and time of play. Take a guy like Payne Haas if we are looking at premier players like Bell and Tupou. Over the 2023 season Haas had 4315 running meters (187m per game), 666 tackles and 113 tackle breaks. His tackle efficiency this year after 432 tackles is 98.2%. You can visually see the difference in the athletes as well. Built different. People can't shut up about how Etzebeth is built because it stands out in Rugby.

Very different sports. People think it's interchangeable but they are very different. I see comments about Timana Tahu who was a very good NRL player for a period of time but lost in Rugby but we've also had Cooper Vuna who was a very average NRL Winger who has since played Rugby for a decade and 18 Tests between Aus and Tonga.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I always find it pretty amusing that people consider playing test rugby after starting only 4 times before that in the pro game to be a failure.

Tahu's story is amazing. So is another "failure" who made the World Cup, Sam Burgess's. Anyone who makes the transition between sports that quickly is jaw dropping

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Ah no mate, its not ridiculous. DC was approached by nrl plenty of times and even the NFL. He would be well within his rights to feel regret about not pursuing new experiences.

You keep your opinion and I’ll keep my out of touch opinions
You’ve just shown it again. League would absolutely not have been on Carter‘s radar growing up on the South Island of NZ.

JOC (James O'Connor) and Quade played the sport and would have followed it as well; it’s absolutely reasonable that they have an attachment to it.

I hate to break this to you but most professional players play both growing up. They tend to pick the one that gives them the best opportunity not sentiment.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I always find it pretty amusing that people consider playing test rugby after starting only 4 times before that in the pro game to be a failure.

Tahu's story is amazing. So is another "failure" who made the World Cup, Sam Burgess's. Anyone who makes the transition between sports that quickly is jaw dropping
Don’t get me wrong, they are incredible athletes. My only point is that we shouldn’t be denigrating Rugby as a sport when it doesn’t deserve it. It’s a pinnacle of athleticism for these athletes.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Very different sports. People think it's interchangeable but they are very different. I see comments about Timana Tahu who was a very good NRL player for a period of time but lost in Rugby but we've also had Cooper Vuna who was a very average NRL Winger who has since played Rugby for a decade and 18 Tests between Aus and Tonga.
Koribete has been our best winger for half a decade, and he was not much more then a run of the mill NRL player…

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
You’ve just shown it again. League would absolutely not have been on Carter‘s radar growing up on the South Island of NZ.

JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Quade played the sport and would have followed it as well; it’s absolutely reasonable that they have an attachment to it.

I hate to break this to you but most professional players play both growing up. They tend to pick the one that gives them the best opportunity not sentiment.
This is the sentence that should scare RA. Rugby have what 120-150 FT jobs in the country on offer? The NRL has 500 and very clear intentions to get to 20 teams which will make it 600. The average salary would also be much higher since its in the mid 400k mark and minimum wage 150k. Even if they have more people competing for those jobs it still optically sells a lot better.

I don't really care about global numbers since as we stand currently 90+% of the Wallabies play in Aus. the international club game only weakens our side.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I love Koroibete as a player. Rugby is his sport. I don’t think his mongrel/explosivity combination is really valued as much in League which more values top end speed for finishing.
He didn't have the mass at the time to be a Winger who can run it back (To'o) and not an aerial threat (Lomax, Tupou). You need to be at least one of those or your'e time is limited. Who knows he could have become one. Addo-Carr was falling into that category but the Storm taught him the game once he left the Tigers which is were Koro was also...

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
He didn't have the mass at the time to be a Winger who can run it back (To'o) and not an aerial threat (Lomax, Tupou). You need to be at least one of those or your'e time is limited. Who knows he could have become one. Addo-Carr was falling into that category but the Storm taught him the game once he left the Tigers which is were Koro was also...
Very funny the comments Koroibete has made about Wests since his time there.

wamberal99

Bob Loudon (25)

Burgess was a flop, playing 12. He could have been a sensational #6, but that would have taken more time of course.