• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Because league is infinitely less tactical and technical, which is why it isn't really the place to become a better Rugby Union 10

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah - would have made the Wallabies based on 2010 season but injured his shoulder and was never the same through 2011
I don't even remember the bloke. Wikipedia I know, but this doesn't really read like 'would have made the Wallabies':

2010 - 2011: Queensland Reds​

[edit]
Chambers switched to rugby union from 2010 after signing a 2-year deal with the Queensland Reds to play in the Super 14.[18] However, following a disappointing 2011 season - where he only started six of the Reds' 18 matches - Chambers was released by the club after missing a place in their thirty-man 2012 squad.[19] He was named on the bench for the Reds Super 15 final victory over the Crusaders in 2011 – which featured fellow league-turned-union player Sonny Bill Williams on the opposing side – but did not play in the match.[19]

Edit: Tomthumb's point still stands, regardless of his injury he then apparently waltzed into the Qld Origin side.

Alex Sharpe

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't buy the chat that league is hugely more athletic for a second.

Yes, they are probably better at doing 10 meter shuttle runs over and over again to get back onside, but a rugby player has to ruck, maul, kick more tactically, defend vastly different running lines, tackle vastly different body shapes, etc. The list goes on...

There is a difference in primary energy systems in League and Rugby but both games give you ample opportunity to gas yourself.

I find that pretty disappointing from Quade and JOC (James O'Connor). Potentially reflective of a team culture that has led to the results we have got over the last 15 years. Senior/recently retired players should be leading and moulding the next generation.

Could you imagine McCaw and Dan Carter encouraging Will Jordan to go an play for the Warriors?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't even remember the bloke. Wikipedia I know, but this doesn't really read like 'would have made the Wallabies':
He played really well for the Australian Barbarians against England on their 2010 tour. (Waltzed into Australia A?).

Everyone got injured through the test season. He was pretty likely to have got a cap through there if he stayed healthy

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
OK so presumably that's the game he got injured, right? Otherwise he 'would have made the Wallabies'. I'm not knocking the bloke, I just don't remember him playing rugby, and don't follow league enough to comment on his overall ability.

As an aside, that was a pretty handy 'A' side.

Edit: strewth posted at the same time

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
And followed that up with failing to make a 30 man Reds squad & failing miserably playing for Munster's reserve grade team

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And followed that up with failing to make a 30 man Reds squad & failing miserably playing for Munster's reserve grade team

He signed a short term deal with Munster on his way to rejoining the NRL...

A quick Google reveals he played 8 games for Munster including 3 in the Heineken Cup... as well as 3 games for Munster A.

Tomthumb

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes, he played rubbish for them and ran back to League

Point is we keep being told how much better League players are, well Chambers is one of Leagues best centers in decades and he couldn't cut it in rugby along with not being overly athletic. So maybe they aren't quite as amazing as we keep being told

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I don't think we need to rewrite history to accurately describe Chambers' time in rugby...

The two centres that effectively priced Chambers out of renegotiating a contract with the Reds didn't exactly go on to greatness either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
League is a simple game. Runners bash it up and take the tackle with zero contest. The 1, 6 and 7 have some evasive and organising skills. Rules are minimal and any they have are rarely adhered to. Fast, action packed but simple. Rugby is definitely Chess in comparison!

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Check out Quade’s Insta…. It’s all about him… great rugby player in certain moments… not sure I’d be asking him any advice. Bernard Foley however is on Between two Posts and is excellent in explaining the complexities of playing 10. He’d be a bloke I’d listen to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm hesitant to jump on the Will Chambers discussion but it's worth mentioning he came to rugby union as a 21 year old and was back in rugby league as a 23 year old.

All his representative rugby league happened after he returned to league where he was pretty reasonably judged as an excellent player.

I think it would be hard to argue that he would have never succeeded in rugby union.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) played a few tests but didn’t look great. Tahu played four tests which I have no recollection of.
Consider yourself lucky. I can still remember his debut where the Boks turned him inside and out. Couldn't believe this was a guy who played SoO and was touted as a solid league player.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
Defending in League is obviously physically tough but their decision making is extremely limited in comparison to pretty much any Rugby position. League players are responsible for about 5 lateral metres of the field for an entire game whilst a Rugby player could be anywhere depending on what’s happening.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Doesn't this discussion - including among ex-players of both codes - always just come back to Union being more skilful and tactical, but League requiring greater fitness and physicality?