• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No - it's unlikely he's fully returned to where he was pre-injury relative to his own previous benchmark. That is not to say his fitness/strength/endurance fails to meet an overall standard, let alone using that to infer the S&C team mustn't be doing their job...
Are you suggesting that nobody would have known he couldn't take the weight or skills of the Boks? Surely his poor scrummaging would have shown up in training against others in the squad and TT was in the squad, fit but not playing. To have a guy like him embarrassed and potentially injured again strikes me as incompetence in professional sport.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Are you suggesting that nobody would have known he couldn't take the weight or skills of the Boks? Surely his poor scrummaging would have shown up in training against others in the squad and TT was in the squad, fit but not playing. To have a guy like him embarrassed and potentially injured again strikes me as incompetence in professional sport.
I'm not making any suggestions regarding his selection, simply pointing out that your original comment of "12mo is long enough" was off the mark.

Anyway, probably time to Rule 10 this.

dru

David Wilson (68)
And he was in the 23 against the springboks, arguably in the prime position coming off the bench to face the bomb squad. Either way they had about half game each and the split was always going to look like that.

Pretty close. Definitely I thought Zane performed much better in the scrum than AAA. Though the change over to the Bomb Squad was initially faced by AAA.

54'Substitute on - Vincent Koch , South Africa
54'Substitute on - Gerhard Steenekamp , South Africa
59'Substitute on - Zane Nonggorr , Australia

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Looking at this list again, not many names jump out at me in our weak areas. I'd take Staniforth, Philip, Rory Arnold for locks. Sadly no tight heads of note. My kingdom for a Paul Alo-Emile.
I think overall you would say that Sio, Skelton, Staniforth, Hockings, Hosea, Philip, Arnold, Swinton, Samu, Zaccy Lucas, Perese, Kerevi, Maddocks, Koroibete and Banks are probably the only ones with possibly something to offer in next 2-4 years.

Of that list I reckon Sio, Skelton, Hockings, Swinton, Samu, Lucas, Perese, Kerevi and Banks would materially improve the squad as it currently stands.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I guess who else will say “learnings” 100 times if AAA isn’t there

And he could have just started Slipper. Tight Head is a more critical role and AAA is so far off the pace
I think he should have started Slipper and AAA. It was a big ask for Kailea. He is strong and enthusiastic but is very inexperienced for a test prop, same with Nongoor. Ideally we would have TT and Bell in the mix as well as Fa’amausuli and Schoup. Once again our depth is severely tested and depth is what we lack. When we did actually get the ball both Gordon and Lolesio kicked it away aimlessly. We need some direction from the halves.
I think we may see a few more OS picks for the remainder of the RC after the Perth game.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I think he should have started Slipper and AAA. It was a big ask for Kailea. He is strong and enthusiastic but is very inexperienced for a test prop, same with Nongoor. Ideally we would have TT and Bell in the mix as well as Fa’amausuli and Schoup. Once again our depth is severely tested and depth is what we lack. When we did actually get the ball both Gordon and Lolesio kicked it away aimlessly. We need some direction from the halves.
I think we may see a few more OS picks for the remainder of the RC after the Perth game.

The scrum was attacked and lost on the THP side pretty consistently.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The scrum was attacked and lost on the THP side pretty consistently.
Yes, but if there is a weakness on the other side it enables the TH to get worked, or visa versa. AAA and Slipper know each other and the opposition pretty well. Kailea looks an excellent prospect but he has very little experience, none against a front row like theirs.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The scrum is an 8 man deal. Not all the blame can be laid at the feet of one prop. I reckon Cron will turn them around for next week to at least hold our own. TT and Bell make a huge difference but we need a serviceable bench front row To back them up in case of injury.
What has happened to Faamasuli?

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
Yes, but if there is a weakness on the other side it enables the TH to get worked, or visa versa. AAA and Slipper know each other and the opposition pretty well. Kailea looks an excellent prospect but he has very little experience, none against a front row like theirs.
This isn’t true. The tight head anchors the scrum, the loose head is there to put pressure on the opposition scrum, which becomes quite a lot harder when your right side gets pulled back due to poor right head play

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
The scrum is an 8 man deal. Not all the blame can be laid at the feet of one prop. I reckon Cron will turn them around for next week to at least hold our own. TT and Bell make a huge difference but we need a serviceable bench front row To back them up in case of injury.
What has happened to Faamasuli?
It’s an 8 man deal when the whole scrum goes back to a 2nd shove, it’s not an 8 man deal when the right head gets popped instantly every time

Mike Cron ain’t fixing anything, dudes a myth. His invention of the loose bind was one of the most counter productive things in rugby