• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe Schmidt doesn't know what full strength looks like yet?

Pretty much... he recently said that he likely wouldn't know what his best team was until the spring tour.

I think we'll see lots of tinkering over this series especially.

It's a very green looking team, and will certainly benefit with the likes of Ikitau, and hopefully Bell, coming back in.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Wright would be the best captain. He is far and above Mcdermott as a leader at the Reds. The question is, is he the best 6?
I like this take.

I think we can bend a bit at 6 for the sake of a leader given our current state. In saying that he is no way below test standard.

Best 6 this year when he could stay on the field was Kemeny but he's leaving and so is Swinton.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Some slightly strange quotes in the Roar's piece on Schmidt's presser. If I'm Ryan Smith looking for a test cap, I'm not that thrilled with the reasoning to be honest

On Liam Wright
“He was identified by the players as a natural leader in the group. He’s a line-out caller, so he already has a responsibility in the team. Not that he calls all the line-outs, but it’s one of the things that he contributes to.

“So, I think what all the coaches liked about Liam is he doesn’t really say that much. He just gets on and gets the job done really well. So, that’s probably it in a nutshell.”
“For this weekend, it was a discussion around who’s likely to stay on for a long period of time."

On the halves
“He’s probably just had the sharpest of the passes of the three guys so far,” Schmidt said, comparing him to McDermott and Nic White, who missed the 23.

“And he’s got that really nice long kicking game, high kicking game. Those are elements that I think we can make use of.

On Lynagh
“He’s a cool customer, Tom. You talk to him, he just doesn’t get ruffled,” Schmidt said.
“They will bring a big direct midfield carry at us. They’ll get Aaron Wainwright running down channels. And Tom won’t say anything he’ll just get on and do it and if that’s his tackle, then he’ll make that tackle.”

On Ryan Smith's non-selection
“Ryan Smith was super in camp but he played so many minutes. And he has so many match involvements when he plays. Everyone’s minutes don’t look the same.

“He just gets involved in so much play. So that was part of the balance in trying to have a really keen, fresh group.

Doesn't sound like many long-term decisions have been made about the team at all yet. Lots more combos to be tested out in the coming weeks

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some slightly strange quotes in the Roar's piece on Schmidt's presser. If I'm Ryan Smith looking for a test cap, I'm not that thrilled with the reasoning to be honest

On Liam Wright

On the halves

On Lynagh

On Ryan Smith's non-selection

Doesn't sound like many long-term decisions have been made about the team at all yet. Lots more combos to be tested out in the coming weeks
Yeah, JS has been pretty consistent all along saying that nothing picked for these couple of tests are going to be set in stone - and it's the least prepared he's been for a test ever.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah, I expect the selections we see around the July series could be much different come the Rugby Championship.

Selection factors like existing combinations and workload from Super Rugby season will be less relevant come the Rugby Championship after the players have had a long stint managed in camp together.

Homer

Fred Wood (13)
I like the fact he is looking after Smith. Based on the stats i think he played more minutes and made more tackles and hit more rucks than any 2nd row in the comp.
JS also said they would be trialing a few 2nd row combinations. I reckon he will get a gig against Georgia where his grafting against a solid pack will be essential.