• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

dusk

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm a huge Gordon fan as many here know, BUT throwing out Cooper to replace him with Gordon is as crazy as some here saying Gordon wouldn't make it , or not this year.
On the flip side I have never been a Cooper fan but I must admit he has played some outstanding games for us in this version of Cooper.
Basically guys we need both of them to stay healthy. Put your focus on the lacklustre forwards performance, that should be our priority.
Agreed, while i'd love to see more of Gordon, i would much rather give Cooper more game time ensuring that he is capable of performing during the world cup.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Gordon can learn a lot from Quade.

I’ve made this point a few years ago when Quade made his comeback and everyone was singing his praises.

Despite his current persona on social media, I don’t think Quade has ever been heralded as some great team player or mentor. He’s always been the bloke with x factor who can pull off amazing (and absolutely bonkers) things on and off the field.

My point being, I’m not sure Quade’s best playing qualities can really be taught, and the Wallabies don’t need a Quade 2.0 either.

Gordon will no doubt learn and absorb some of things, but I wouldn’t be banking on them rooming together and some magnificent wisdom being bestowed.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I’ve made this point a few years ago when Quade made his comeback and everyone was singing his praises.

Despite his current persona on social media, I don’t think Quade has ever been heralded as some great team player or mentor. He’s always been the bloke with x factor who can pull off amazing (and absolutely bonkers) things on and off the field.

My point being, I’m not sure Quade’s best playing qualities can really be taught, and the Wallabies don’t need a Quade 2.0 either.

Gordon will no doubt learn and absorb some of things, but I wouldn’t be banking on them rooming together and some magnificent wisdom being bestowed.

What Quade can offer any Fh wanting to be world class is reading a game. What he sees, why, and what he sees in the opportunities. it doesn't even matter if the "trainee" will adopt the specifics, just that his thinking is opened up to where Quade's head is going.

Invaluable.

Reactions: Ged

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What Quade can offer any Fh wanting to be world class is reading a game. What he sees, why, and what he sees in the opportunities. it doesn't even matter if the "trainee" will adopt the specifics, just that his thinking is opened up to where Quade's head is going.

Invaluable.
I get what you're saying, and of course, a young punk can always learn from someone with Quade's experience.
But, I'm doubtful that he can really teach someone else how he reads a game. I think it's innate.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I get what you're saying, and of course, a young punk can always learn from someone with Quade's experience.
But, I'm doubtful that he can really teach someone else how he reads a game. I think it's innate.

I don't know. If Quade simply watches the same footage and then describes the opportunity he sees - let the youngster Q&A it. I think it's valuable. Reading it in real time is different but that exposure sure isn't going to hurt.

As it turns out I think Carter has good vision too.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't know. If Quade simply watches the same footage and then describes the opportunity he sees - let the youngster Q&A it. I think it's valuable. Reading it in real time is different but that exposure sure isn't going to hurt.

As it turns out I think Carter has good vision too.
As I said, Gordon can of course learn from Quade. But we've all probably played with players who just saw opportunities that most didn't or couldn't.

Reactions: dru

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)
I’m struggling to inderstand can the medical staff not properly examine injuries?
why was tupou and bell sent to SA and then could not play? So then gibbon and nongurr got schooled! When they said only players eligible would play
Then tupou is going back to Aus a this week but bell is staying with the wallabies? And then they add in schoupp so maybe bell still won’t play?

these guys need matches. We need more Aus a matches but also club rugby, not to mention why aren’t guys going back and playing club rugby? Particularly guys coming off long injury lay offs of squad members not on the 23! We may be 2 weeks in with only 25 of the 40 man squad playing a game
Not to Mention the divide atm between club rugby and pro - super rugby and players not getting released to play and bring more eyes to club footy

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I've been rather critical of the Tupou treatment and his own S&C, but I think the current scenario makes logical sense.

Tupou needs to be training around professional players who set a high benchmark under the guidance of S&C staff, his off-season weight gain is well noted. I don't believe that Tupou if left in Australia to train on his own would train as hard as he has with the squad. He is also an emotional bloke who has been isolated all year with rehab, potentially it's a mental/squad bonding reason to take him on the tour as well.

I never thought he would be fit enough for the TRC, even playing a match for Australia A is a big moment, given his recovery timeline.

Clubs have a reason to be upset with the Australia A issue over the weekend, but if any clubs are getting upset over Tupou and Bell they need a bit of a reality check.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think getting the Aus A up and about and playing good opppsition is exactly what the wider squad need. Sucks for the clubs but it's test footy season.

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)

There is a lot he can learn from Quade. I don’t get the hate for him. He fucked up as a young man and has matured.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
If you are 22 and can be around a guy like Quade or Foley that's an immense learning opportunity. Even just seeing how they go about their business in practice, how they relate to other players and control the game. Even if they act exactly as expected that gives you confidence on how a top level 10 conducts themselves. It is the most complex position on the pitch, both in terms of positioning and xs and os, but also in being a communicator.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Although it is one game, the result and context is very concerning. Mainly due to EJ (Eddie Jones).

You wonder if he lost the plot some time ago and has overthought the sport to some degree. Or is missing the forrest for the trees. Basically most of his decisions in the past 4 years have looked downright bizarre. He has such a sterling reputation that you assume there's a master plan at work or he's hiding his real gameplan i.e. 4D chess, but Occams Razor suggests losing badly is not an indicator of genius, but ineptitude.

Vunivalu and Uelese: does he know something we don't? Apparently not.

You are playing a kick heavy style with a back 3 that don't kick well.

Changing to a 100% possession/kicking game isn't suited to the Wallabies.
- None of them except Skelton/Arnold play that style.
- The other forwards don't play that style: Hooper, Valetini, Frost, Tupou, Samu.
- The set piece isn't good enough.

The backs aren't well designed for it either. None of the current back 3 options are anything better than average at the aerial/kicking game. They are serviceable or downright bad.

Then you have excellent running 10s (Foley, Quade, Carter) and some excellent runners outside them in Kerevi/Koriobete.

If he wants to change how every player on the team operates/thinks in a few weeks that isn't realistic. They absolutely don't have the team to play that way. They need a mixture, similar to Ireland.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is very true. When I started playing club rugby we had a great centre and he and a winger were in discussions when I joined the conversation. The winger wanted to know why he caught every ball he threw but missed several when he wasn't playing. He said he knew his gait and timed the pass so that his inside leg was back thus opening him up to catch the ball. I have spoken to a few international centres about this and none of them knew anyone who could do this.
Also, think this is not limited to sports.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
There is a lot he can learn from Quade. I don’t get the hate for him. He fucked up as a young man and has matured.

I don't think many people hate Quade, I don't. Myself and I'm sure many others here understand that he's become a more mature player on the field. But what he's done over the last couple of years is really sell his brand. The reality is he's still doing what he's done for his whole career. String together a few great performances, get some big wins but majority of his performances are mediocre at best.

And in terms of his personal life, If you think stays at home all day meditating and working on game strategies, I've got some magic beans to sell you.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think many people hate Quade, I don't. Myself and I'm sure many others here understand that he's become a more mature player on the field. But what he's done over the last couple of years is really sell his brand. The reality is he's still doing what he's done for his whole career. String together a few great performances, get some big wins but majority of his performances are mediocre at best.

And in terms of his personal life, If you think stays at home all day meditating and working on game strategies, I've got some magic beans to sell you.
Phil, before we confine QC (Quade Cooper) to the history bin I just read this from Nic Bishop. No 10 in the world can do much with this level of involvement. What the hell was EJ (Eddie Jones) thinking?
Quade Cooper only enjoyed six total touches at first receiver, and three of those were exit kicks from deep in his own end. His last act was to kick the ball out on the full from a goal-line drop-out in the 68th minute, and that as much as anything was a suitable epitaph on the Aussie head-stone.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Although it is one game, the result and context is very concerning. Mainly due to EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones).

You wonder if he lost the plot some time ago and has overthought the sport to some degree. Or is missing the forrest for the trees. Basically most of his decisions in the past 4 years have looked downright bizarre. He has such a sterling reputation that you assume there's a master plan at work or he's hiding his real gameplan i.e. 4D chess, but Occams Razor suggests losing badly is not an indicator of genius, but ineptitude.

Vunivalu and Uelese: does he know something we don't? Apparently not.

You are playing a kick heavy style with a back 3 that don't kick well.

Changing to a 100% possession/kicking game isn't suited to the Wallabies.
- None of them except Skelton/Arnold play that style.
- The other forwards don't play that style: Hooper, Valetini, Frost, Tupou, Samu.
- The set piece isn't good enough.

The backs aren't well designed for it either. None of the current back 3 options are anything better than average at the aerial/kicking game. They are serviceable or downright bad.

Then you have excellent running 10s (Foley, Quade, Carter) and some excellent runners outside them in Kerevi/Koriobete.

If he wants to change how every player on the team operates/thinks in a few weeks that isn't realistic. They absolutely don't have the team to play that way. They need a mixture, similar to Ireland.
history demonstrates that we aren't any good at the running game either, we sacked Cheika because of his want to run the ball too much

we essentially do OK, then get isolated and turn over the ball as we run out of ideas/structure/players - we get rope a doped

to play like Ireland takes years of learning the structures so it is imbedded into their DNA, and if execution - isn't perfect it is read turned over

Jones tried to get the wobs to play quicker, to get wins by not giving the defence time to reset, but we run out of ideas, we play one out the same way to a static runner - as we don't have enough ball runners in motion on other lines continually to put any doubt in the defender's minds.

so the one out runners eventually get smashed, our supporting blockers miss and another turnover