• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
True Joe, I suspect many have been too quick to write him off.
I don’t think anyone has written him off, only that he he needed to go to another level to displace the incumbents for this years World Cup, and didn’t do that. It sounds pretty academic now that he is injured though. He definitely has a future.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think many people hate Quade, I don't. Myself and I'm sure many others here understand that he's become a more mature player on the field. But what he's done over the last couple of years is really sell his brand. The reality is he's still doing what he's done for his whole career. String together a few great performances, get some big wins but majority of his performances are mediocre at best.

And in terms of his personal life, If you think stays at home all day meditating and working on game strategies, I've got some magic beans to sell you.
No I think he has found the balance of being a professional athlete and having a good time. Early on it was all about the good time and that was it.

Tomthumb

Alan Cameron (40)
Weird way to reply. Won 2001 Bledisloe with McQueens team. ended up with a 58% record after losing 7 games straight, In 2005 NH tour lost 8 of 9 matches and was sacked. Basically the team went slowly downhill and the scrum was penalised off the park in the UK. Never made #1 and slipped to 4th and once 5th.
BTW an inside guy I knew at the time told me the players ignored Jones's game plan and went out and knocked over the AB's in a great semi to 2003 RWC.
Now let’s go over Jason Gilmore’s coaching achievements…

the end

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Is HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) injured? I remember seeing him hobble off in one of the later games of Super Rugby, but if he was fit, I'd have expected to see him in the Aus A side?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I wouldn't mind seeing:

1. Slip
2. Jordan
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Skelton
6. Holloway / Samu
7. McReight / Kemeny
8. Bobby V
9. White
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Marika
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Wright / Petaia / Kellaway

16. Fez
17. Bell
18. Zane or Schoup(?)
19. Frost
20. Holloway / Leota / Samu
21. Tate
22. Carter
23. Wright / Petaia / Kellaway /

Jordan to start. Last chance to get his basics right. Fez off the bench to see how he handles test match rugby. We know what Poreki offers and it isn't going to change with more game time. Let's see what these 2 can do. I'm hoping Fainga'a and Longeran have good games for "A" and knock the door down for the Wallabies. The ball is in their hands really.

I want to see if McReight can bring his super form into the Internationals and have some impact. I'm also interested to see what Kemeny can offer at 7.

Holloway at 6 preferred for the lineout. I thought P Samu was good off the bench last week and deserves to be in the 23. It's tough on him but if we are to see how Leota is travelling we need to get him in the game. So I would have him on the bench with Frost.

Eddie really likes Zane and I think he has a big future. Don't be surprised to see him on the bench again this week.

Backs kind of pick themselves. If Petaia is fit I want him in the 23. I do however feel like he is the kind of guy who benefits from a game or 2 at a "lower" level to blow out the cobwebs however I'm not sure we have time for that. Wright probably 15. Maybe Kellaway if fit. He will need time at some stage as well.

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) on the wing if fit. Otherwise I think it'll be Vuni again. I've said it before ... I think vuni just needs exposure and experience. Once he gets that I think he will be class. This world cup is probably a year or 2 too early for him.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah Wilson on the bench is the head scratcher there, that guy is really getting shafted for whatever reason. Could have just played Uru at 6 and ditched Swinton.

Also I wouldn't be writing Fainga'a off to get back in the Wallabies if he can get a good performance here, given no one else is grabbing the jersey
Swinton is what we were missing v SA.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
history demonstrates that we aren't any good at the running game either, we sacked Cheika because of his want to run the ball too much

we essentially do OK, then get isolated and turn over the ball as we run out of ideas/structure/players - we get rope a doped

to play like Ireland takes years of learning the structures so it is imbedded into their DNA, and if execution - isn't perfect it is read turned over

Jones tried to get the wobs to play quicker, to get wins by not giving the defence time to reset, but we run out of ideas, we play one out the same way to a static runner - as we don't have enough ball runners in motion on other lines continually to put any doubt in the defender's minds.

so the one out runners eventually get smashed, our supporting blockers miss and another turnover
Was Rennie not building towards a slightly more balanced approach? There was certainly more kicking and possession than under Cheika, but still less than other teams.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was Rennie not building towards a slightly more balanced approach? There was certainly more kicking and possession than under Cheika, but still less than other teams.
He was, but the same shit was happening, I think Jones is realistic enough/pragmatic enough to kick earlier - much to the complaints of many, but when we hold the ball for too long - we f*ck up. so kicking earlier at times will be the statistically sensible thing to do. We struggle to reset, we just fall into a circle of hell.

Kick earlier, with a plan rather than the "oh fuck lets get out of here approach"

Getting the chase functioning, getting the expectations of the work ethic required and the defensive line connections in place will take time

I would also like to see more kicking for goal (or kicks to the corners to lineout and maul, well struggle against the adults) and even drop kicks when things start to stagnate, just keep the score board turning

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Now let’s go over Jason Gilmore’s coaching achievements…

the end
Almost he end.. I assume from this post that you are accepting our version of Eddie V1. The only thing that interests me about Gilmore is that he is improving along with Cron and Sampson. If we get a few good coaches then that will help. Looking at Eddie's time through rose coloured glasses takes us nowhere. The End V2

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He was, but the same shit was happening, I think Jones is realistic enough/pragmatic enough to kick earlier - much to the complaints of many, but when we hold the ball for too long - we f*ck up. so kicking earlier at times will be the statistically sensible thing to do. We struggle to reset, we just fall into a circle of hell.

Kick earlier, with a plan rather than the "oh fuck lets get out of here approach"

Getting the chase functioning, getting the expectations of the work ethic required and the defensive line connections in place will take time

I would also like to see more kicking for goal (or kicks to the corners to lineout and maul, well struggle against the adults) and even drop kicks when things start to stagnate, just keep the score board turning
I think he is between a rock and a hard place. Much of the crap we do has been going on for years and it needs a major reset. I am hoping after this RWC we get that reset. We seem unsure about doing what the coach wants and 'playing what's in front of us' and that's why we get screwed.
Sometimes our players focus on scoring themselves when a simple pass will get us over the line. I thought SA were very good at supporting the runner.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You can be drilling the troops but the hoards are at the gates. He ran out of time and the scoreboard killed him.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
The interesting one not commented on thus far here or in the Match Day thread is that Phillip and Neville are both playing this weekend, and it may be the thing which starts to decide who is the backup in the 33 and who is the train on.