• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Canterbury and Adidas were always THE rugby brands when I was growing up. I started watching the game when the Wallabies wore the three stripe jerseys

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
True story.
Not sure how up-to-date it is, but I had a look on their wiki page and it's still pretty extensive - although nothing like it once was and far fewer 'big' names. Notable additions to the aforementioned include Japan and the Kangaroos (league).

1687417380477.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
They do Ireland and B&I Lions too still I think.

I think it was spoken about in a Reds thread, but Canterbury have gone through various directors with different visions for the brand - some wanting to continue in the pro sport market, and others who wanted out altogether. I believe currently they are trying to make a comeback - and I'm all for it. The Reds gear this year, particularly the retro long sleeve cotton, has been pretty schmick.
Reputation copped a hammering in lower level stuff like Club Rugby and Schools which you can imagine is a nice lot of contracts to pick up. They were very unreliable for a period of time so they all changed suppliers.

Seem to be coming back through the athleisure style clothing quite heavy.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Back in my day Canterbury was the official brand of eshays - except they weren’t called Esahys back then … they were known as westies

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Back on topic, anyone know when they're planning on going to SA? I would've thought given no Aus players played at altitude for 4 years it would be smart to get over at least 10 days beforehand rather than the usual 5-7.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Back on topic, anyone know when they're planning on going to SA? I would've thought given no Aus players played at altitude for 4 years it would be smart to get over at least 10 days beforehand rather than the usual 5-7.
I'd imagine they had to work flights, accom, logistics around the off chance an Aus team or two would make Super finals, so it may not be until mid next week at the absolute earliest.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd imagine they had to work flights, accom, logistics around the off chance an Aus team or two would make Super finals, so it may not be until mid next week at the absolute earliest.
This is the Wallabies, not the All Blacks, maybe we got lucky with preparing for the reality of things.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Came across this Wallabies predictions from 9/11/2019
Possible 2023 Wallabies team (15-1): Isaac Lucas, Jack Maddocks, Jordan Petaia, Samu Kerevi, Mark Nawaqanitsawase, Bayley Kuenzle, Tate McDermott, Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper, Rob Valetini, Harry Hockings, Izack Rodda, Taniela Tupou, Jordan Uelese, Harry Johnson-Holmes

Reserves: Lachlan Lonergan, Harry Hoopert, Allan Ala'alatoa, Darcy Swain, Liam Wright, Jake Gordon, Ben Donaldson, Reece Hodge,

Squad members: Folau Fainga’a, Scott Sio, Nick Frost, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Fraser McReight, Matt To’omua, Semisi Tupou, Tom Banks

How times change!!!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That’s not that bad, very possible those guys would’ve made it if stayed in Aus. Lucas, Maddocks, Hockings and Rodda (didn’t get injured).

Only ones that are really wrong are Kuenzle and Hoopert but hard to see Quade and Foley being selected from overseas then. Probably should’ve picked Bell even back in 2019.

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
Bit of media coverage this week about ins and outs for availability for the first test - how do we shape up with the following :
Ins - QC (Quade Cooper), Kerevi, AAA
Outs - Tupou, Petaia
Questionable - Kellaway, Bell (ruled himself in contention but would say too risky to play without any time under the belt)

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It's really a reflection of eras. Canterbury were massive in rugby through a lot of my childhood but that has completely disappeared. As far as I can tell the only teams the brand does now are the Queensland Reds and the NZ Black Caps (cricket).

If you were born yesterday you wouldn't see Canterbury as a key rugby brand whatsoever.

ASICS and adidas are surely the two leading brands now.

There has been a few parent companies that have owned ccc in the past 20 years & clearly couple of them dont see the aus market as a big one. Now days it looks like they have found a slice of the pie. Its already stated in other sports that tiny spot on the jersey is worth more than a sporting apparel company can offer. Look at the Indian cricket team they used their own made up brand to sell jerseys then an Indian denim company before being adidas finally forked out the big $$$$. Twiggy could buy the spot on the jersey & rm williams could be the "apparel sponsor" post the lions series

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
It's really a reflection of eras. Canterbury were massive in rugby through a lot of my childhood but that has completely disappeared. As far as I can tell the only teams the brand does now are the Queensland Reds and the NZ Black Caps (cricket).

If you were born yesterday you wouldn't see Canterbury as a key rugby brand whatsoever.

ASICS and adidas are surely the two leading brands now.
I don't think so, Asics lost South Africa so they only have Australia at test level

Canterbury: British Lions, Ireland, Japan
Asics: Australia

HPaHaJS.jpg

HPaHle9.jpg

HPaHc57.jpg

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
They do Ireland and B&I Lions too still I think.
And they dressed the English team for 10 years. Asics is a brand of sports shoes, Canterbury is made for rugby

So If I were the Canterbury's CEO I'd switch Kangaroos for Wallabies and the Roos can wear ISC, a hystorical RL sponsor in Australia. It's funny cause now they are sponsoring rugby grassroot and lost almost all their NRL teams lol

Last edited: