• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The size of the squad will interest me. Presuming the July 14th game goes ahead, you need 46 match day players+ any injury cover + Test matchday cover across the two squads, what's that, 55 players? What will the split look like? 38-17ish? 42-13, 46-9?

Fun speculation and outrage to be had.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The size of the squad will interest me. Presuming the July 14th game goes ahead, you need 46 match day players+ any injury cover + Test matchday cover across the two squads, what's that, 55 players? What will the split look like? 38-17ish? 42-13, 46-9?

Fun speculation and outrage to be had.
It's one match isn't it? Wouldn't need more than 50.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Richie Arnold does not currently qualify under the Giteau Law, given he doesn’t have 30 caps or five years at an Australian province, and is contracted with Toulouse next year. So if Jones is to select Arnold, he’d have to get approval for an exemption from Rugby Australia.

Informed sources say they believe that will unfold, with the 33-year-old to be one of six overseas players chosen for the Wallabies’ winter; along with Skelton, Quade Cooper, Bernard Foley, Marika Koroibete and Samu Kerevi.

With Arnold close to a lock :p I think you can shut the door on Rodda and Philip? Holloway and Hanigan or L.S.L to support Frost-Big Willy-Richie

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Right then, may as well do my assumed full strength 23 to play in the RWC Final..

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Gleeson
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Kellaway

16. Faessler
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Richie Arnold
20. Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wilkin/McReight^
21 & 23. [McDermott & Hodge] OR [Lonergan & Petaia]*
22. Foley

^ Someone eluded to it before but picking #20 is tough, we probably need a good lineout option at 20 in-case Holloway gets injured. In that case Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), but if Eddie wants a 7 to speed up the game later it’ll be Wilkin/McReight. All I’m sure on is Hooper is done and Gleeson has to start. Yes, you have to build around and accomodate Skelton because he's worth it.
*I think McDermott and Petaia are the better players but you need contiguous pairings here (long kicker in there).
My earlier point wasn’t supposed to be a dig.

I genuinely thought your rationale the whole way along was to pick Foley as you had greater confidence in his kicking under pressure. But you then appear to be doubling down by including Hodge or Lonergan in your player groupings - and the fact you’ve paired then the way you have suggests to me that it is their goal kicking that is getting them over the line.

Just trying to follow the logic.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Players read the comments. Benny A specifically pointed out GAGR as one of the online forums he read after games. His mental health
I can only hope Beauden Barrett is reading. MY mental health has been damaged by the cossetted cotton-wooling c***t rocking up from Welly to wipe his arse all season on the revered Auckland Blues rugby football jersey.

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
My go at a 33 man squad for the WC

Props

James Slipper
Angus Bell
Matt Gibbon
Allan Alalalatoa
Taniela Topou
Sam Talakai

Hookers

Dave Porecki
Lachlan Lonergan
Matt Faesslar

Second Rowers

Nick Frost
Will Skelton
Richie Arnold
Caderyn Neville

Backrowers

Rob Valetini
Jed Holloway
Michael Hooper
Fraser McReight
Harry Wilson
Langi Gleeson

Halfbacks

Nic White
Tate Mcdermott
Ryan Lonergan

Flyhalves

Quade Cooper
Bernard Foley

Centres

Samu Kerevi
Lalaki Foketi
Len Ikitau

Outside Backs

Reece Hodge
Mark Nawaqaniitawase
Jordon Petaia
Andrew Kellaway
Tom Wright
Marika Koribete

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My earlier point wasn’t supposed to be a dig.

I genuinely thought your rationale the whole way along was to pick Foley as you had greater confidence in his kicking under pressure. But you then appear to be doubling down by including Hodge or Lonergan in your player groupings - and the fact you’ve paired then the way you have suggests to me that it is their goal kicking that is getting them over the line.

Just trying to follow the logic.
I didn't know what you meant, Hodge or Lonergan are only there for their long goal kicking ability. 45m+ which Quade and Foley aren't capable of.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With Arnold close to a lock :p I think you can shut the door on Rodda and Philip? Holloway and Hanigan or L.S.L to support Frost-Big Willy-Richie
On both yeah, but the 4th lock will probably be one of them (or Neville). Rodda has the highest ceiling but he needs games to prove it.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
On Richie Arnold, SMH has a piece up:

Listed among seven overseas-based players, Richie’s name made prompted a double-take from some - does he mean Rory? - but Jones later explained he’d been admiring Richie’s form for years and Toulouse coach Ugo Mola also gave a glowing reference.

So, Richie Arnold will fly into Sydney next week to join the Wallabies in camp ahead of the Rugby Championship. His twin will be watching from afar.

They're predicting he'll be one of six o'seas players picked by EJ (Eddie Jones):
Informed sources say they believe that will unfold, with the 33-year-old to be one of six overseas players chosen for the Wallabies’ winter; along with Skelton, Quade Cooper, Bernard Foley, Marika Koroibete and Samu Kerevi.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's one match isn't it? Wouldn't need more than 50.

Depends on who the 50 are. If everyone's fit, you've selected the right type of players required to put out a pair of 23s and your 4 extras provide a strong level of cover for any warm injury occurrences then yeah.

Making the presumption that the folks that are already there are hanging around for the A tour, there's a likely outcome of being overstocked on positions like hooker, lock and halfback, which'd likely require a handful of extras (albeit no more than 3 to 5) to balance those 23s out.

If you reckon say Canham, one of Fainga'a and Uelese, one of Fines and Tuttle etc. are there this past week but won't be considered, then sure, 50 might work and you can send a couple of extra bodies over to Tonga if required 3 or 4 days out.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't expect to see Jake Gordon in the squad. Christy Doran mentioned he heard that he was out on the ESPN Scrum Reset podcast and Sam Bruce agreed based on what he had heard. Sounds like he's going to be relying on one of the other srum halves giving him an opening.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Don’t agree with you. So much of the Brumbies attack has been due to TW’s play making abilities.
Looking at proposed Wallaby back-lines, the onus on him to create attacking plays would be lessened, apart from broken play / counter stuff, and it might focus his game better. Useful player to have running off Kerevi / Ikitau.
I'd hope Eddie will have someone who can sharpen up his, and for that matter, everyone else's defence.
I'd be surprised if Eddie doesn't give him a serious look.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
No idea
--
That pic from socials earlier shows no Tom Banks, I think we can assume if you're a Force/Rebels player and not there you're not going to be used this year.

Wilkin
Isaak Fines
Lachlan Anderson
Leota
Rodda
Pone
Gibbon
Tupou
Uelese
Carter Gordon
Canham
Kerevi
Petaia
Phillip
Bell
Kellaway
Quade
Talakai
Fainga'a
Foley
Tuttle
Koroibete
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Kemeny
Hodge

So no Naisarani or Mafi we can assume I think. Interesting no Paisami yet Petaia is there?
Petaia was injured, Paisami played more recently so gets the break.