• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's paywalled so can't see if there's any detail, but the Crimes reporting Valetini's deal will make him one of the highest paid players in the country... although, not surprising with a lack of domestic based star players.

whitefalcon

Jim Clark (26)
It's paywalled so can't see if there's any detail, but the Crimes reporting Valetini's deal will make him one of the highest paid players in the country... although, not surprising with a lack of domestic based star players.
No details of cash in that article

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can kind of understand why not though. I'd love to have Samu back playing in OZ, but as BH81 pointed out in a previous post there are some good reasons why it would have fallen through.
It is disappointing as I dont think that a Giteau pick should be the captain and Samu would be mine if he was playing in Aus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is disappointing as I dont think that a Giteau pick should be the captain and Samu would be mine if he was playing in Aus

He doesn't strike me as the sort of person who'd be overly comfortable doing a lot more media than he has ever had to do.

He'd be a surprising choice for Wallabies captain in my view even if playing domestically.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
He doesn't strike me as the sort of person who'd be overly comfortable doing a lot more media than he has ever had to do.

He'd be a surprising choice for Wallabies captain in my view even if playing domestically.
He managed media duties quite well as Reds captain imo

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Much too simplistic view on things, IMO due to contextual circumstances it's hardly fair to compare records post-Deans with pre.

Context is very important, as there are simply too many administrational & circumstantial factors that have contributed to McKenzie, Cheika, Rennie poor win rates. Australian rugby was last in a strong position when John O'Neill was CEO and Nuicifora the high performance manager (2008-2012) and that is reflective of Dean's 59% record.

Every coach post-Deans has been fighting an increasingly uphill battle. Deans was the last beneficiary of a good administration and more importantly the talent pathways & development systems like U20's, Australian academies, functioning at an optimal level - Nuicifora was the key contributor here, as we're witnessing currently with Ireland. Deans reported to Nuicifora under this structure (controversially) and therefore is why I believe Australia has not employed a DOR/high performance manager since.
Much too simplistic view on things

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I feel Eddie would be happy to take up any media slack. I wouldn’t say Hooper is a media natural.

Yeah, I agree with all that.

I feel like this is where the stress of being captain comes from though. It's weird that from a fan perspective the important bit is what they do on the field but from a job description, the overwhelming majority of the job is what you have to do off the field.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

With so many players of Pasifika heritage I though Kerevi would be an inspired choice.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe, thats only part of captaincy requirements at the national level though. AAA would be a better candidate in that circumstance IMO
I think that 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) is a great choice too, however my preference is to have your captain on the field the entire match.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I think he could be a good Captain. Only concern is it needs to be someone that when fit is a lock for their spot in the starting side and while he’s probably in every 23 he could be beaten out for a starting spot.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That would be commensurate with his standing as player of the year but it would be interesting to know how involved Jones was the pricing.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It looks like RA is pulling out all stops now in the lead up to SRP (Super Rugby Pacific), and to the RWC! Got an email from Eddie this arvo!

A LETTER FROM WALLABIES
HEAD COACH EDDIE JONES:​

Hi John,

To‌night, Australia’s Super Rugby players return to competition.

The meaningful contest for Super Rugby competition points and Wallabies team positions begins. In a Rugby World Cup year, as a coach, you always expect to see more. You expect the best from the players.

I’m still shaking my head as to how I ended up here as Wallabies coach. There was the swift and unexpected departure from my job as coach of England in London, a brief period of contemplation in Tokyo and a decision then arrival in Sydney.

There were plenty of people telling me not to do it. There was the comfortable option of sitting in a commentary box and helping some Tier two teams getting ready for the World Cup but when Hamish McLennan came a knocking, he wasn’t taking no for an answer.

The chance to coach my home country at the Rugby World Cup in France was an opportunity too good to pass up. Hamish made the point that you just never know what is around the corner. This chance was never going to come again. In the end, it was an easy yes.

Since then, it’s been all go. Meetings with staff and senior players and visits to trial matches in Griffith and Narrabri confirmed what I already knew from afar.

Australia has the talent to win the Rugby World Cup in Paris on‌ October‌ 29. Right now, we don’t have the team, but we do have the talent. We also don’t have a clear path from where we start‌ today to where we want to end up. Ultimately, that path will be carved by the Australian players and the choices they make between now and then. That path will be created by the standards the players set for themselves and their teammates.

It will be about the things they are prepared to give up and miss out on. Coming off a short preparation and with a win record of 13 from the past 35 matches, the Wallabies winning the Rugby World Cup will take a supreme effort against high quality opposition.

During Super Rugby, I will be watching to see how the players apply themselves not only during the games but in the warmups and warm downs. How they perform and present themselves on and off the field.

I will be looking to see how they communicate and how they work to improve their Super teams and their teammates. I’ll be looking for players who are working harder than they have ever worked before and who are being genuinely honest with themselves and their coaches.

Australia needs players who are curious and bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the task of making the Wallabies the best team in the world. We need players who are disciplined and determined and desperately want to win. Players who are accountable, who are prepared to break new ground and who keep setting the bar higher for themselves and their teammates.

Every decision they make must be a decision that takes us forward to our goal of winning the Rugby World Cup. My job is to create a Wallabies team environment where players flourish but ultimately to be successful, it must be the players that drive it.

We start the Super competition with a couple of local derbies and the Reds hosting the Hurricanes in Townsville. The Waratahs v Brumbies on‌ Friday the‌ 24th of‌ February and the Force v Rebels on‌ Saturday the‌ 25th are an opportunity for players to line up against the other players who want the same Wallabies jersey. These one-on-one contests are meaningful and important.

I always say that players select themselves and I can’t wait to see which players emerge to demand selection.

As we start this‌ year, there are players in the Super Rugby squads who are hiding in plain sight. They are the players who may not yet have the reputation but are prepared to make the sacrifices and to go the extra mile. They are the players who may previously have not been selected in the national team because they didn’t put the effort in.

All I can say to each and every one of our Super Rugby players is that we will be watching and that ultimately it will be up to you. I’d encourage you to think of the prize of being in a World Cup winning team.

Being part of a World Cup winning squad is a memory that can never be taken from you. An achievement that will be with you forever. But they are memories that must be earned by the effort and sacrifice you are prepared to bring.

Enjoy the season, work hard and yes, I will be watching.​