• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Everyone is aware of the issues afflicting rugby in Australia and they all take money to fix which R.A. don't have

Most of the fixes aren't complicated; just outside what current resources allow.
DD, so your suggesting they do nothing to fix existential threats ie a falling participation rate? I propose that opening up dialogue with all major managers and coaches with a scheduled meeting say twice a year costs little, whereas hiring Jones and sacking Rennie cost a bucket load they couldn't afford.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
DD, so your suggesting they do nothing to fix existential threats ie a falling participation rate? I propose that opening up dialogue with all major managers and coaches with a scheduled meeting say twice a year costs little, whereas hiring Jones and sacking Rennie cost a bucket load they couldn't afford.

Rennie is already returning on the investment in spades.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rennie is already returning on the investment in spades.
in the possibles area Dru, this investment I suggest was forced on him and Eddie has made a statement that does not bode well for the new blood Rennie brought in.

Jones added that he has given his squad a clean slate to impress, with only limited time remaining before he makes a decision on his best XV heading to France.

'I think selection is always … there's a bit of history (involved),' Jones added.

'So, players who've got a history of success definitely have a head start.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
in the possibles area Dru, this investment I suggest was forced on him and Eddie has made a statement that does not bode well for the new blood Rennie brought in.

Jones added that he has given his squad a clean slate to impress, with only limited time remaining before he makes a decision on his best XV heading to France.

'I think selection is always … there's a bit of history (involved),' Jones added.

'So, players who've got a history of success definitely have a head start.
A large chunk of the new blood brought in by Rennie was forced through injury and availability. There's no doubt he would've displayed much more consistent selection if he had the choice.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ghost can't see it - paywall. Can you paste a part?
While the former premiership-winning coach was flattered by the approach – a chance to oversee the Wallabies’ defence – he couldn’t renege on the commitment he made to Canberra coach Stuart.
Maguire agreed to become a Raiders consultant in October and said his loyalty was to the Raiders, who he represented during his playing career.

Speaking about Jones’ approach, Maguire said he had unfinished business in the 13-man game, including a desire to one day return to head coaching.
“I’d love to work with Eddie,” Maguire told the Herald. “I’ve known Eddie for a long time; he’s a fanatical Souths fan. We spent quite a bit of time catching up during my time at Souths. He does love rugby league, but his passion is obviously on the union side at the moment.
“I’ve stayed in touch with him. He’s a high achiever in everything he’s done in the coaching space over a long period of time.
“I love Eddie’s mentality; he trains his players at a high level, and we probably have the same mentality in many of the things we do.
“At this present moment, I’m really enjoying my time at Canberra. The thought of winning another [league] competition, whether it be here or wherever it may be, I’m very hungry for that once again.

“I love the combat of the game. I know rugby union has similar attributes, but rugby league is where I want to be at the moment.
Does that part help? I think that carries the gist of the main article - Maquire sticking with Raiders for a now, but leaving open possibility in future if he and EJ (Eddie Jones) cross paths

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Ghost can't see it - paywall. Can you paste a part?
"Michael Maguire says he would love to work with Eddie Jones at some stage in the future, but knocked back the chance to be his assistant coach at the Wallabies out of his loyalty to Ricky Stuart and desire to eventually win another premiership as a head coach in rugby league."

First paragraph and most relevant. The rest is just the polite I respect Eddie blah blah then about Maguire building back.

Don't really blame him with only starting with the Raiders in October it wouldn't be a good professional look to back out of it now when I have no doubt, he desires to head coach again in the NRL so probably not the best path back right now.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
"Michael Maguire says he would love to work with Eddie Jones at some stage in the future, but knocked back the chance to be his assistant coach at the Wallabies out of his loyalty to Ricky Stuart and desire to eventually win another premiership as a head coach in rugby league."

First paragraph and most relevant. The rest is just the polite I respect Eddie blah blah then about Maguire building back.

Don't really blame him with only starting with the Raiders in October it wouldn't be a good professional look to back out of it now when I have no doubt, he desires to head coach again in the NRL so probably not the best path back right now.
You're not wrong. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more of these "I knocked Eddie/Rugby back" articles coming from Loigue heartland in the next few months

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
It wouldn't suprise me to see a name come out of the English Premiership if Eddie doesn't land one of the big fish targets in the style of Maguire.

He would have seen a lot of it and there are a lot more professional coach than we have nationally in Rugby. I look at a guy like Paul Deacon who is head coach at Sale Sharks currently sitting 2nd in the Premiership with a good F/A. He was a league player with over 300+ Super League games plus Tests for England/GB. He ticks a lot of the supposed boxes... I know we want Aussie coaches though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Does that part help? I think that carries the gist of the main article - Maquire sticking with Raiders for a now, but leaving open possibility in future if he and EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) cross paths
Thanks John. appreciate it and I can understand why...

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)

It’s a bit of a cop out. Seibold got back to NRL head coaching directly from being a union defence coach under Jones. Washing Ricky’s boots can’t be a more credible way back to the top