• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jones is a good coach, Rennie is a good coach

Rennie was screwed over by injuries, our depth just isn't there

Jones will have the same problem

The key difference between the two is their manipulation of the media, Jones does a shed load of interviews and PR (sitting there like the "everyman" in shorts on the grass at trials)

Rennie did the bare minimum with the media

Jones commercially is more of an asset, he should have more time before he is sacked eventually
Fattie, are you suggesting that McLennan being an advertising person put his eggs into the marketing value of Eddie?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fattie, are you suggesting that McLennan being an advertising person put his eggs into the marketing value of Eddie?
I think Eddie is a smart, media savvy unit, it would be a factor in his acquisition - and rugby needs more column inches\clicks

Having the top coach prepared to do more interviews, and host podcasts is not a bad thing - until the media turn on him

They will build him up and then tear him down

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The 'rugby media' in Australia is not relevant enough to exert serious pressure. The few punters who care aren't calling for blood based on a Paul Cully article 6 pages from the back.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Personally I think Rennie got screwed and he had the team in good shape for the RWC. He blooded a ton of new players and the vast majority looked good and developed under his tutelage. He was dealt extraordinarily difficult circumstances (injuries, overseas players, civic, Aus player base erosion). My only knock on him is that discipline was consistently poor.

The Italy loss was a gamble to blood new players and preserve a banged up squad. That's it. In the grand scheme it's not the be all end all.

Can Jones improve the squad performance? He's looked more clueless than Rennie the past 2 years. I'm not a rugby coach so maybe the ARU knows better than me. The England team was dreadful relative to their talent level. Far worse than Australia.
Succinctly put Namerican, laid the facts squarely on the table for these noobs! Eddie's appointment is merely a big smoke & mirrors distraction tactic from McLennan while Australian rugby continues to flounder at every level - Hamish is a politician, he ain't fooling me!

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I bet Larkam's their plan B (in the unlikely case Rugby Australia actually has one..) which isn't entirely ambitious - ambitious would see Less Kiss & Simon Cron - with Nuicifora as Director of Rugby, to develop and cultivate the player pathways as he's done brilliantly for Ireland...

FFS Rodha, for the fiftieth time, Nuci. Doesn't. Want. The. Fucking. Job.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Of course … results do matter. I’ll give Eddie one thing. He has hit the ground running and has put rugby in the news in a way Rennie wasn’t able to. Now it’s up to our Super Rugby teams to play some attractive, attacking rugby, to keep the turnstiles ticking and also kick some Kiwi arse! I say that with all due respect to our Kiwi friends… you are the benchmark though!

I think that's going to be our issue as a 'rugby nation' and really only a supremely successful Wallabies campaign will resolve it.

Eddie will provide some more engagement at Wallaby level, hopefully some wins. The club scene is still strong, at least where I live.

But the engagement with Super Rugby is really lacking outside the hardcore fans. Having the product isolated on Stan Sports (which I really like as a platform) is always going to hinder getting Super Rugby back into the spotlight as a product on it's own.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
But the engagement with Super Rugby is really lacking outside the hardcore fans. Having the product isolated on Stan Sports (which I really like as a platform) is always going to hinder getting Super Rugby back into the spotlight as a product on it's own.
I might've missed something, but are a couple of games weekly not being shown on 9/9Gem this year?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Succinctly put Namerican, laid the facts squarely on the table for these noobs! Eddie's appointment is merely a big smoke & mirrors distraction tactic from McLennan while Australian rugby continues to disintegrate at every level - Hamish is a politician, he ain't fooling me!

I know you're just trolling, but I have to ask...

What are they distracting us from exactly?

In my view the only thing that RA wouldn't want people noticing is their win/loss record from last year...

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I might've missed something, but are a couple of games weekly not being shown on 9/9Gem this year?

There are, and there was last year, but it didn't seem to help viewership or crowd attendance in terms of making people aware.

I don't watch a heap of free to air tv these days, but when I have, I've not really seen much engagement about the Super Rugby season starting, and the first game (and arguably the 'big event') is in a few weeks. Maybe I've tuned in at the wrong times though.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
There are, and there was last year, but it didn't seem to help viewership or crowd attendance in terms of making people aware.

I don't watch a heap of free to air tv these days, but when I have, I've not really seen much engagement about the Super Rugby season starting, and the first game (and arguably the 'big event') is in a few weeks. Maybe I've tuned in at the wrong times though.
Yeah that's valid - better than nothing though. Better than the days of the entirety of Super being only available on Fox / Kayo imo.

Unsurprisingly, 9 have been flying the rugby flag more than the other networks. Gets regular mentions on news/sports broadcasts, with a smattering of ads here and there.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah none of us know anything about the game. Clearly.

Yep, and that's invariably why you are behind the eight-ball mate... "something.. something.. 7th in the world".

It's refreshing to hear such an admission - after all, acceptance is the first step towards enlightenment...

Hence you Aussies should probably heed the wise counsel of your rugby "enlightened" Kiwi friends!

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
What are they distracting us from exactly?
The implementation of meaningful structural change at Australian rugby's lower-levels, player pathways, player development - the abdication of responsibility towards the grassroot's game, etc... Stephen Moore probably summed it up better than I could:

Last edited: