• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The more successful organisations that I have had something to do with did not just "judge by results". Corporate success or failure is a bit more nuanced than that, and IMHO evaluating the performance of a national sporting coach is a lot more complex than "how many games did the team win"?

Rennie had charge of the helm during some very rough weather, our Wallaby player base was impacted adversely when the pandemic struck. The injury toll was also pretty diabolical (bearing in mind that maybe coaching decisions had something to do with that).

Finally, I make the observation that the only reason he was kicked out was because Rugby Australia decided to put all its eggs into the Eddie Eyebrows basket.
I worked in IT and the American companies I worked for culled the bottom 10% every year, the last company I worked for it was the bottom 15%.
Agree with the all-or-nothing gamble the ARU is taking with Eddie, which shows a total lack of nuance....

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Froggy...if it is all about results, maybe there should be more scrutiny over the board. Bill Pulver presided over Rugby Australia and ran it into the ground. Then had the hide to take a substantial bonus when leaving, that Rugby Australia could definitely NOT afford.! The arrogance of that knob is breathtaking. Then we blame it all on the 'woman'...poor old Raelene. Sacked by all the ex Wallabies because she had the hide to look at alternatives to the evil Fox broadcasting empire ....that ironically some ex Wallaby captains had jobs with! Now we have McLennan signing Jones to a 5 year package....let's see how that pans out? Mmmmmm.
Had Raelene stayed on we would have been penniless, half the Wallabies would have been sacked due to not being woke enough, the ARU would be 80% women and 20% rainbow and with Rennie coaching the coffers would show no promise at all. BUT we would be building something.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Had Raelene stayed on we would have been penniless, half the Wallabies would have been sacked due to not being woke enough, the ARU would be 80% women and 20% rainbow and with Rennie coaching the coffers would show no promise at all. BUT we would be building something.

SMI, mate we get on so well and then occasionally posts like this hit the deck. Come on man, can't you see that some people are gong to, well let's say, have a different view? That is border-line sexist and homophobic. (Not that border-line.)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
SMI, mate we get on so well and then occasionally posts like this hit the deck. Come on man, can't you see that some people are gong to, well let's say, have a different view? That is border-line sexist and homophobic. (Not that border-line.)
Dru, there is no shortage of those with a different view and they do not hesitate to post it? There is an air of humour in it.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Fuck Eddie is a rogue unit who talks some nonsense, I love it.

“Well particularly for this one because it’s a smash and grab, we’ve got to get into the jewellery shop quickly, steal the cup and get out,” he said.

“We need people who can work together quickly, who have got adaptable characteristics, can be well planned and can be quite audacious, so they’re the things that I’m looking for.

“I’ve been studying the greatest thieves in the world and they all have those characteristics, so we’ve got to make sure that we’ve got that on staff.”

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
This would be a very sobering read for McLennan & RA who probably should've done their due diligence before replacing Rennie with an apparent downgrade. In all honestly, this is probably one of the best pieces of investigative journalism I've ever read...

It appears that Borthwick's initial claims were just the tip of the iceberg - looking at this incredibly enlightening analysis:

Out of 11 teams from 2022, England ranked statistically - 10th in attack (Wales last), 10th in defense (Japan last), 11th in set-piece.

Rennie's Wallabies out-rated Jones' England in every single metric, except turnovers won (which to be fair - is probably more representative of McKellar's ineffectiveness with regards to coaching the breakdown area, than anything relating to Rennie)...

It currently looks increasingly likely Eddie's homecoming with Australia could turnout identical to Gatland's return with Wales...

Two very eerily similar situations, two flailing stuttering organizations looking to plug the holes with quick-fix temporary solutions, running against the tide, hoping to somehow revive the glory days again..

McLennan has evidently put all of his eggs in the Eddie Jones basket - gifting him an unprecedented five year contract from the outset... but what happens when the house of cards comes crumbling down because the modern Wallabies playing group inevitably grow fatigued of Eddie's outdated and downright archaic man-management methods?

Will they come groveling at Razor's consecrated feet - in a desperate late plea for a sprinkling of his magic dust to sparkle an unlikely Lions series win in 2025? Razor (if not already sewn-up with a better gig) would say "Thanks - but no thanks....!" after seeing how terribly the previous Kiwi coach was treated by clandestine McLennan.

So what is RA's plan B? They are seemingly following the same short-sighted naive approach as the old suits from WRU - just pinning all your hopes on a 60 year old Gatland (against the unforgiving ravages of old age & a rapidly declining coaching ability...) to simply wind back the clock and somehow bring back the glory years! Sounds a lot like Rugby Australia and Eddie to me...

I bet Larkam's their plan B (in the unlikely case RA actually has one..) which isn't entirely ambitious - ambitious would see Less Kiss & Simon Cron - with Nuicifora as Director of Rugby, to develop and cultivate the player pathways as he's done brilliantly for Ireland...

Last edited:

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Proof will be in the pudding. Personally I think Rennie got screwed and he had the team in good shape for the RWC. He blooded a ton of new players and the vast majority looked good and developed under his tutelage. He was dealt extraordinarily difficult circumstances (injuries, overseas players, civic, Aus player base erosion). My only knock on him is that discipline was consistently poor.

The Italy loss was a gamble to blood new players and preserve a banged up squad. That's it. In the grand scheme it's not the be all end all.

Can Jones improve the squad performance? He's looked more clueless than Rennie the past 2 years. I'm not a rugby coach so maybe the ARU knows better than me. The England team was dreadful relative to their talent level. Far worse than Australia.

The only way it makes sense is if you think Jones can coax an enormous performance out of these guys at the RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jones is a good coach, Rennie is a good coach

Rennie was screwed over by injuries, our depth just isn't there

Jones will have the same problem

The key difference between the two is their manipulation of the media, Jones does a shed load of interviews and PR (sitting there like the "everyman" in shorts on the grass at trials)

Rennie did the bare minimum with the media

Jones commercially is more of an asset, he should have more time before he is sacked eventually

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Light Blue, I actually agree with everything you said, regarding Pulver, Raelene and Jones, it doesn't change my suggestion that a professional coach lives or dies on results.
If you employ a salesman, his job is to sell whatever you are dealing with. Providing you give him good training, and work with him to try to turn things around if he/she is struggling, at the end of the day if they aren't selling anything they are just taking up a desk and a salary. Results, at the end of the day, matter.
Of course … results do matter. I’ll give Eddie one thing. He has hit the ground running and has put rugby in the news in a way Rennie wasn’t able to. Now it’s up to our Super Rugby teams to play some attractive, attacking rugby, to keep the turnstiles ticking and also kick some Kiwi arse! I say that with all due respect to our Kiwi friends… you are the benchmark though!