• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wales vs Australia, 5 November 2016, (1:30am 6 November AEDT) @ Millenium Stadium

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Modern science is pretty good these days. Can't we just knock up some sort of Phipps/Genia lovechild hybrid thing? Phipps's speed to the breakdown and general play, Genia's sweet as passing, both a solid cover defenders so that should be even better when combined and if we can have a good look around 'that disabled toilet' at the ChCh airport we might be able to snavel some A.Smith DNA and chuck his box kicking gene into our Hybrid?

Piece of cake really, you're all welcome.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Wales attack out wide a lot, so having DHP and Speight on the wing would be a disaster.
They also use a short tight press defence. However this can be exploited by going wide quickly or a kick pass to the wing.
IMO this means Cooper should be the 10 for both the quick long pass and having a better kick pass. It also means Folau should be on the wing and DHP at f/b. The question then is Hodge at 12 or Foley. It should be Hodge IMO and Foley to the bench. Won't happen of course.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the interesting selection decisions for this game will be the starting backrow and the reserve forwards.

If Cheika opts for a lineout jumping 6 then Fardy comes in for Mumm. I have a feeling Cheika will retain Timani and Hooper.

I expect the backline will be Phipps, Foley, Naivalu, Hodge, Folau, Speight, Haylett-Petty.

With McMahon healthy again Cheika will be tempted to find space for him but I don't see how with Pocock also on deck. I expect Pocock on the bench as the replacement backrower. I'll be interested to see if Slipper comes back in or whether Ala'alatoa and Robertson remain the two reserve props. I expect Simmons will stay on the bench.

Frisby and Cooper will be on the bench and maybe Cheika will leave it at that and opt for 6 reserve forwards so he can pick McMahon and Pocock. Otherwise I think Kuridrani gets the last bench spot.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Wales are vulnerable out wide and that is a case for Hooper starting over Pocock. Fardy and Timani can manage the ruck. Hooper as a support player out wide will cause Wales a lot of problems.

However Pooper must not be used.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Our pigs bashed (comparatively speaking) the AB's at Eden Park so I doubt we will see much if any change there. The only question mark will be who comes in at 6 and I expect Fardy will fill that void with probably McMahon onto the bench.

In the Jessica's I would expect that either TK will come in for Kerevi and the rest to remain as was for Bled 3, or they will shift Folau to 13, Dane to FB and bring Sefa into the starting XV.

We pushed the AB's for the majority of the match at Eden Park in a game where pretty much everyone on these fora had categorically written us off, and only lost our bundle when we got 'that' shitty decision. Why would we change that team any more than we have to?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Chek will play his 2 main blokes - Hooper and Pocock both run on.

Mumm is out and the Timani has been pretty good and a work in progress worth pursuing

Hooper at 7 (where else would Chek put him), Poey at 6 and Timani at 8.

Sounds like Folau may be at 13 finally now that Kerevi out so can only go with DHP at 15.

Warburton out which is huge for us.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Chek will play his 2 main blokes - Hooper and Pocock both run on.

Mumm is out and the Timani has been pretty good and a work in progress worth pursuing

Hooper at 7 (where else would Chek put him), Poey at 6 and Timani at 8.

Sounds like Folau may be at 13 finally now that Kerevi out so can only go with DHP at 15.

Warburton out which is huge for us.

If the backrow is Pocock, Hooper Timani then I expect who packs at 8 to switch.
On defensive scrums Pocock at 8 so he can jackal the ball after Hooper has tackled the ball carrier.
On attacking scrums Timani 8 so he can pick up the ball from the back.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Our pigs bashed (comparatively speaking) the AB's at Eden Park so I doubt we will see much if any change there. The only question mark will be who comes in at 6 and I expect Fardy will fill that void with probably McMahon onto the bench.

In the Jessica's I would expect that either TK will come in for Kerevi and the rest to remain as was for Bled 3, or they will shift Folau to 13, Dane to FB and bring Sefa into the starting XV.

We pushed the AB's for the majority of the match at Eden Park in a game where pretty much everyone on these fora had categorically written us off, and only lost our bundle when we got 'that' shitty decision. Why would we change that team any more than we have to?

Gee Scoey

I had to go back and check the score and yes my memory served me correctly, we got belted 6 tries to 1

Yeah maybe a shitty decision on Speight try but one could certainly argue that Foley at the other end put his arm on the AB which could have resulted in a penalty try. Decisions come and go, some good, some bad.

The scoreboard rarely lies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Using that logic we beat England 2-1 in the June Tests. Game 1 we beat them 4 tries to 3, game two they won 2 tries to 1 and the final test we won 5 tries to 4. o_O

Yes the scoreboard rarely lies, but it never tells the whole story. If it did we wouldn't even need to watch a game! Fact of the matter is, we played damn well in that match regardless of what the scoreboard says. Thousands of AB fans at the ground giving our blokes a standing ovation afterwards is testament to that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Using that logic we beat England 2-1 in the June Tests. Game 1 we beat them 4 tries to 3, game two they won 2 tries to 1 and the final test we won 5 tries to 4. o_O

Yes the scoreboard rarely lies, but it never tells the whole story. If it did we wouldn't even need to watch a game! Fact of the matter is, we played damn well in that match regardless of what the scoreboard says. Thousands of AB fans at the ground giving our blokes a standing ovation afterwards is testament to that.

I agree we played better than we have but we fell a long way short.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With it to be 9 Phipps and 10 Foley I would definitely go with Izzy at 13 and get the Tah combo that looked pretty decent together.

DHP at fullback and I guess Speight and Sefa on the wings.

No idea about the backrow, but I suspect it will be the same pack as last test.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
With it to be 9 Phipps and 10 Foley I would definitely go with Izzy at 13 and get the Tah combo that looked pretty decent together.

DHP at fullback and I guess Speight and Sefa on the wings.

No idea about the backrow, but I suspect it will be the same pack as last test.

Mummy is out, isn't he Reg so there must be a change somewhere.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, for some reason I keep forgetting that.

Well it becomes a decision between Fardy straight in or Pocock to 8 and Timani to 6.

I think I'd go the former.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Modern science is pretty good these days. Can't we just knock up some sort of Phipps/Genia lovechild hybrid thing? Phipps's speed to the breakdown and general play, Genia's sweet as passing, both a solid cover defenders so that should be even better when combined and if we can have a good look around 'that disabled toilet' at the ChCh airport we might be able to snavel some A.Smith DNA and chuck his box kicking gene into our Hybrid?

bahahaha GOLD!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree we played better than we have but we fell a long way short.

Which was pretty much my point. We can argue the apparent magnitude of how far short we fell all day but in the end it boils down to that was our best performance in a while so I don't see that wholesale changes will be made.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

While we are at it can we have Foley's running game and ability to take the ball to the line, support play combined with Coopers passing/distribution and play-making vision, with Dan Carters general play kicking, and Wilkinsons goal-kicking and defence.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Which was pretty much my point. We can argue the apparent magnitude of how far short we fell all day but in the end it boils down to that was our best performance in a while so I don't see that wholesale changes will be made.

I really don't see changes either except for Mummy's replacement.

There is still something missing in the big scheme, whether it is a selection / positional change or two, a cultural thing, playing as a tight team, a coaching issue, an issue between the coaching staff and players, a skills issue,motivation (although that should never be an issue when playing for your country) confidence or a combination of some or all of the aforementioned.

Fucked if I know !

I really believe we have the players. It's how to get the best out of them, individually and as a team that is the question needing answering.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So we get to watch that rugby league powerhouse, Scotland, playing Australia, NZ and England live on FTA, but no Wallaby Tests. Well done ARU --- how do you expect to lift the profile of rugby v league if you can't even get a possible Grand Slam tour on FTA?
Hard though as fta baulked at the price considering time zones for games. What it says is fta don't think they will get a decent return on price they have to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Uh, yeah - I am 100% sure they have. Most of those guys were in some way involved at the executive level in large businesses before they did the ARU thing, they're not stupid or bad at business. Union just isn't a very popular sport and the Wallabies product is in the shitter right now.
Financial reality - more interest in rugby and wallabies the fta would have paid up. Got to fix the bigger problems that led to reasons why fta not bidding. This is just a symptom of bigger problems of needing to improve rugby in terms of its products, appeal and participation....both short and long term issues discussed at length in other threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk