• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Turner to the 7s

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

The wank value on this forum is increasing exponentially.
In regards to your rather bloated post Rugbywhisperer it is my opinion that you are blowing alot of hot air because you are embarrassed. The amount of speed specific training you are alluding too would be relative to an elite runner trying to build a solid base of power endurance before a big competition before tapering off and thus recovering before maximum output. However this type of training is non essential for a rugby player.
Rod Davies is not a 'sprinter playing rugby' he has been an elite Rugby player his entire life and was poached by Wayne Bennett while at IGS for this very fact.
I would be very interested in finding out what level of sprint coach you are because I was actually a fairly reasonable athlete and won more than one event at GPS in my final year. To avoid contributing to the wank value I will private message you to find out whats what.

Why bother. You obviously take any contra argument personally and have no intention of being objective. My 'rather bloated' reply was meant to give you an insight as to the reality of sprinters, not to cause a personal arguement and it had nothing to do with davies - that comment was referring to another post altogether so please don't confuse the two debates.
The facts are, any sprinter not doing sprint specific training loses up to 10% speed very quickly. If a rugby player who was fast was to do 'the correct sprint training' and stick to it , there would be very little time available for rugby oriented training - hence a sacrifice - that's all.

Take it or leave it - I really don't care.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't know, I thought RW was making a lot of sense. I used to do a lot of sprinting when I was younger too (I'm sure at a lower level to you, tranquility), and despite a season of rugby preceding our athletics season, it always took me some time to actually get up to my better times after footy season had ended. We had a pretty handy athletics trainer at school, and what we did was along the lines of what RW said.
Davies and Turner for me both have real potential, but there is more to it than just speed (as much as I love seeing a really fast winger flat out!!).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
.... there is more to it than just speed (as much as I love seeing a really fast winger flat out!!).

And then scoring say a 40+ metre try single handed! Love to see that dash and not being caught, eh? The beauty of a Davies or (not grouping them as to class) Habana.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
We really need an emoticon that is a set of drums and a cymbal. You can click on it then the roll on snare and tish is played.

Status
Not open for further replies.