• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Turner to the 7s

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Compared to Turner, yes. Davies is no slouch, don't get me wrong, but Turner would be a better pick for the TNs.

C

chief

I think Turner is completely over rated. I think he lacks ball skills for a winger, and he seems to only be able to use his speed to finish. Yeah he's an okay winger and all, but aside from his speed and defense he's just not that good.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Turner is completely over rated. I think he lacks ball skills for a winger, and he seems to only be able to use his speed to finish. Yeah he's an okay winger and all, but aside from his speed and defense he's just not that good.

What else is he supposed to do? Apart from finishing and defending?

I agree he was pretty lacklustre last year for the Wobs, and he was definetely overshadowed by Mitchell at the Tahs, but he is still a good player and he can get the job done better than the alternatives. Plus, being one of Deans' pet projects he's built up some decent experience.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)

Lacks the ball skills?

How about pulling the ball in from over the touchline while running at full-tilt to score the match-winning try against the Brumbies?

How about the chip and chase from inside his own half then a 30m pass - at pace - to the chest of Drew Mitchell to score the first try against the Hurricanes in the last round of the comp?

Reactions: DPK
T

tranquility

He should be producing by now, but he isn't. If Rodney improves on his season this year and Lachie has another one of his normal seasons - Mr Davies will be ahead of him on the pecking order no doubt about it.

Hows that for a cool story bro?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
He should be producing by now, but he isn't. If Rodney improves on his season this year and Lachie has another one of his normal seasons - Mr Davies will be ahead of him on the pecking order no doubt about it.

Hows that for a cool story bro?

Pretty tame, real mellow actually. Basically if one player improves and the other doesnt, he'll get the spot. Not really breaking new ground, Copernicus.

C

chief

Lacks the ball skills?

How about pulling the ball in from over the touchline while running at full-tilt to score the match-winning try against the Brumbies?

How about the chip and chase from inside his own half then a 30m pass - at pace - to the chest of Drew Mitchell to score the first try against the Hurricanes in the last round of the comp?
Sorry obviously I should have rephrased very rarely does he exhibit these skills. Very rarely. Although DPK describes the typical winger, a winger can be a lot more then hanging out on the wing, it can also be your preference for what type of winger you like. Example I like a winger like Peter Hynes who involves himself so heavily in off the ball play it occurs very heavily against Northern Hemisphere teams as he knows the idea of their play is not spreading it far and wide it's hitting it up within the centre channels.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, I agree chief. But we really already have one of those in Ioane. I think Turner could be the perfect foil for the rover type winger.

Its like Ioane is a Winger/Centre and Turner is a Winger/Fullback.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The reason why I think Turner is the worst Wallaby winger in Australian rugby history is because he rarely is in a good position to attack, doesn't run good lines, doesn't break tackles, doesn't use his speed and most importantly, doesn't score tries for fun.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Can't believe you guys are arguing along state lines over this. Apart from both being fast, these are two toally different kinds of player. Turner is a wing / fullback who offers a lot to any team. Davies is an all-out speed merchant like we haven't got in Australia, but might need some rough edges taken off. I reckon Turner is competing with Hynes and Davies with Mitchell. Leave the state vs state stuff for the S14 season, eh?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agreed, its like Davies then quite a bit of sunlight and then the other wingers/fullbacks.

Probably because he's a sprinter. Im not anti-Davies, by the way. I really look forward to him going on to becoming an awesome player.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I know Davies was GPS 100m champion, but so was Beale. I think claims that he is the fastest "by long way" are unlikely to be true.

R

rugbywhisperer

Over 10? 40? 100? Turner would go very close over those last 2.

There is a player in the Qld ISchoolboys who has Turner covered for these and would be No2 on the Tahs all time record behind L. Tuquri.
My point being that schoolboy speed rarely translates into mature speed due to the large amount of speed specific training required. Running sub 11 sec times does require a lot of specific work.
Any time spent on maintaining top speed is lost when it is needed for rugby skills training. The fact that Davies has held some speed is great but he can't keep up both, something has to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.