• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The suspension specifies suspension to a date not the number of matches - unlike league.

Pretty sure that is wrong, remember Jean Deysel (?) doing some trickery to get his time down, something about playing a club game during the bye or something. I might have remembered it wrong though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty sure that is wrong, remember Jean Deysel (?) doing some trickery to get his time down, something about playing a club game during the bye or something. I might have remembered it wrong though.

This is why I ask because it seems to vary in how the suspensions are applied.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
One thing to remember is that for the Wallabies this is early in the season. Usually we'll just be starting the Tri-Nations now. We are notoriously slow starters. I expect to see considerable improvement.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Steenkamp was a major disappointment. I thought he would be much better than that.

Smit was just appalling. When you find yourself looking at a player you like and thinking why the hell he won't retire, it's bad.

Yup. Very sad to see Smit battle on like this.

Steenkamp has not played in a year. He should be nowhere near the squad. He recovered too late. Had he play two CC games I'd say okay, give him a chance.

They will prolly start him next week.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Thought the multi dimensional talents of G Smith could have been really vital in composure, leadership, added spank in forwards attack and well just his own 7 game in general in the past couple of games. Wasted talent. But he is long gone. Even mentoring younger players especially Pocock who will be a great flanker but, i think is still developing others parts of his game such as linking, maybe a cut-ball passing game and an odd chip and regather for himself, all traditional skillsets of the forward....

The bitter irony is George Smith saw the writing on the wall that young Lazarus Pocock's rising form and freakish ability to pinch breakdown ball, that it was time to move on while still at the top.

But now with the changed law interpretation at the breakdown and the neutralisation of dominant fetchers in the modern game, George's linking game and skill set is now more relevant to the game then Pocock's.

I'm not saying George would be taking Pocock's spot if he was still around today, as Pocock's involvement in the tackle contest and breakdown are frankly astounding, sometimes it seems like there are two of him out there, but if they were both 23, it would be very interesting as to who would be wearing the #7 jersey.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree Blue. I'm a big fan of Smit in his pomp, his leadership and all round representation of the game, but he's done. Should have retired a year ago at least. Steenkamp and a lot other blokes looked short of a gallop.

Frans Steyn looked overweight and well short of what his natural talent should be providing.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
To quote PdV on this game

Wasn't that an old Welsh saying, "we didn't lose we just scored less points.

Whole article here:- http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/trinat/news/2771482.htm

Ah PdV you are a great laugh. Well done. Robbie you need to put in more effort than just being cryptic if you want to take PdV's title.

I read the article and then read the comments. I doubt that there would have been any comments if a G&GR moderator had been on. Nothing but abuse and illiteracy. And I thought the Herald and the Roar were poor, but they read like Dostoervsky compared to this. Its a worry.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That was a character building win for the Wobs but they made us viewers wobble a bit. My fear toward the end was that we would give away a penalty and they would go for the corner and maul it over. We dodged one bullet provided by Moore. Down the side of the ruck is “coming in the side” most days of the week, when it's not out yet. Kepu's penalty at the maul was a penalty every day of the week. He should get a big kick up the arse for that.

But somehow the Boks didn't look like they knew how to score a try in that game

Some other thoughts:

• I don't criticise referees very often, but B. Lawrence had a poor game. And I usually roll my eyes at the facile comment: “He was just as bad for both teams,” but, bloody hell, he was. No that you could blame him a lot for those penalties against Oz at the end of the game, nor those at the beginning. The Wobs discipline was poor.

I thought the Wobs were particularly lucky when McCabe did his spear tackle which was the 2nd time of asking by the Wobs to get a card. Once Oz got away with it though, I was secretly pleased that the Wallabies were the nasty, tough team getting away with rubbish – and the first one was on Bakkies – how sweet was that? Just 20 more now to get even.

• It was just as good to see a Bok scrum walking backwards. Sure Smit is not a strong scrummaging prop but if Steenkamp is the third ranked prop in the RSA their depth is worse than ours. They had the edge before JdP and Beast went off but didn't do the Oz scrum a great deal of harm.

• Cooper mixed his game up better than against NZ but Oz nearly paid the price for his being played at 15 on defence. A more experienced fullback would have judged that high ball in-goal better and defused it.

• JOC (James O'Connor) – what a cracking player he is. That step or two of straightening and delaying before passing to McCabe made the difference for the try and incidentally, the backing up by QC (Quade Cooper) in case he was needed was a nice touch also.

• How good was Samo when he came on? Any chance to swap Higgers and him for next week, you think, or is that unfair?

• After his only starting test match, last year in Christchurch, I criticised A. Fainga'a for his two bad reads on defence which led to two All Black tries. He redeemed himself in Durban, not for his tackling because he's always been able to do that, but for the read in stopping a very promising move by the Boks.

• The forwards looked more accurate and displayed better judgement in their ruck and counter-ruck work so their effort mattered more than a week earlier. Sure their opponents were rusty but it was good to see.

We'll done lads. Nobody is fooling themselves that this effort would have beaten the All Blacks, or England in their pomp - and Ireland won't be too worried at the minute either – but, despite one of our poorest handling displays of recent years, grinding out a win in the RSA after being behind the Boks twice in the game? We'll take that every time thank you very much.

PS – What a pity that move before oranges wasn't consummated in a try. First was the audacity of Cooper to run the ball out from his in-goal with about 10 seconds left in the half, then the first pass near the 22. Bugger, some stuff ups but restarted by McCabe, then Moore, therefore Horwill, hence Cooper again, now Beale, arriving was Ioane, tackled. Cooper again, Beale again– but tackled by F. Steyn who falls on the Wallabies side of the tackle. Kills it.

Bugger, could have been one of the great Wallaby tries given the circumstances of where it was started from, and when.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I didn't say that it was the best combination you could field, but it was the combination you did field. And the footage looks great from a Wallabies fan's point of view regardless of who packed on the Boks side.

I guess with the history of scrummaging you will take any victory however small.

But I guess it was fun to watch and just topped off a miserable day for the Boks so as a Wallaby fan you had to enjoy it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It appears that Deans has caught Hickey's disease. This is defined in the medical journals as an infection which interferes with the body's ability to replace parts of the team that are suffering fatigue or other deficiencies with fresh players who can strengthen the team. What is the point of having seven reserves, most of whom are marginal candidates for the Cup squad, and only using two?

Selectors don't have any match information as to whether Maafu is up to the required standard. They probably have their opinions, but a person with an opinion and no data is just another person with an opinion. Likewise they have no information on Timani's match form. Luke Burgess has had no match play for months. If he wasn't going to get any time why on earth wasn't he sent to play Shute like Vickerman and Phipps taken as cover instead. And given that two bench players made excellent contributions as reserves and significantly improved the performance, how does Deans know with such certainty that others would not have made similar contributions?

Could one of those who think Deans is the greatest coach since Cobb and Co explain why most bench players got no chance of contributing?

I not one of those you refer to, but Dean's use of the bench was very good. The guys he left on were still performing, and two bench players he used made a real impact. No point making changes just to make changes.

With any luck, most of the guys on the bench that he didn't use, will not be playing in the top 22 in the world cup. S Fa'ainga, Ma'afu, Timani, McCalman. Only Burgess is likely to make the top 22.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Good news, McCabe wasn't cited:

There was relief for the Wallabies when a lifting tackle by centre Pat McCabe was deemed not to warrant being cited.

McCabe stopped powerhouse Springboks hooker Bismarck du Plessis in his tracks with his best tackle, and such acts went off like firecrackers across the park.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I not one of those you refer to, but Dean's use of the bench was very good. The guys he left on were still performing, and two bench players he used made a real impact. No point making changes just to make changes.

With any luck, most of the guys on the bench that he didn't use, will not be playing in the top 22 in the world cup. S Fa'ainga, Ma'afu, Timani, McCalman. Only Burgess is likely to make the top 22.

Yep, Deans has never been a big user of tactical substitutes, he picks his best side and lets them play.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Very lucky about McCabe - I thought the tackle was reprehensible and worthy of sanction, Still, it is consistent with the gung-ho decisions that have been made in the past in similar circumstances, usually more against Oz by the Boks.

I guess that is one for us.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
McCabe has yet to be cited...

How long until the deadline passes?

I doubt he'll get off though... the Boks will be sporting armbands if he does...

If he were to cop a one match suspension, would a club rugby match count?

I'm very keen to see a McCabe/Fainga'a centre for the next match.

But I'd also like to see McCabe get a bit more ball, as his ball running is exceptional.

I doubt McCabe will be cited. It was certainly a yellow card offence but a red is stretching it I think.

Edit: oops, events preceded me.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Austin, could you post a video of Quade's defence in this game?

Noticed there were some people saying that he was improved in defence but my recollection of the game is that he still had major technique issues and shirked a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.