• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McCabe should be suspended for a lifting tackle so Fainga'a should get a chance against the ABs with Barnes a good chance to come onto the bench

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QkMinsjwTE

The scrum action between the 5 minute and 6:15 marks of this clip is awesome. Best I've seen from us since we smashed England a few years ago.

Scrum analysis from this match and Smit's performance at Hooker and THP would make for some interesting viewing.

Also the questionable Lineout is at 9mins20secs in and Moore getting pinged for not coming in through the gate is at the 12 minute mark, then Kepu pinged at 13 minutes for those interested in having a look for themselves.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Missed the game. I have 3 questions
1. How did Higgers go?
2. Did Elsom silence his critics or fall short once again?
3. Did Samo make an impact off the bench?

1. Higgers was solid without being exceptional. Good enough to get another run, though maybe a better balance would be Samo starting and Higgers on the bench. His hands a couple of times were not great - his pass from the foot of the 5m scrum was a little ropey without being a disaster. He looked the business size and strengthwise in tackles and in contact. To the point that maybe as he matures he will be a pretty good player.
2. Elsom worked hard again this week and was in everything. This week it was pretty effective, big tackles and strong running. Different opposition, but he has found good form and the wallabies are better for it.
3. Samo looked the goods but as mentioned his job was made easier by the wobs late scrum dominance.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
But the point with commentators is that when their national team is playing, a tendancy to bias is reasonably expected. They are in theory commentating to a largely captive audience who is going for the same team.

But ours can't do it with any attempt to even be slightly even handed or give credit where it's due. When we get the NZ and SA feeds for test matches, their commentators as a general rule are much more even handed.

Some of the Kiwi and Saffer commentators are good but generally they are as bad as ours.

There have been a lot of very good commentators in past years who have been able to comment and hide or minimise their bias. Cyril Towers was the first I heard that I really liked, though he and I both loved the Randwick style of backline play so maybe I didn't notice his bias as much. In the 70's and 80's he was what got me in to watching rugby. Bill McLaren was great to listen to when international games overseas were on. Gordon Bray is sometimes limited but admirably fair and reasonable. On the ABC I know Papworth likes Eastwood from his commentary but its not obtrusive. I'm not sure who the others follow but all to me seem to be very fair and even-handed. Adam Freier is always interesting without having to heap abuse on others and often has a different point of view. So it is possible to do commentary without being jingoistic and biased.

Marto and Robbie should get on, they both are incomprehensible sometimes and both are fruitcake material. Kearns is obsessed with scrums and was one of Australia's best ever hookers, but sometimes I wonder if he is watching the same game as me. Last week our scrum was a massive improvement but was behind all match and when the Franks brothers were on we were owned, but you'd never know it from the comments. Kafer is knowledgable, but nowhere near the god-like status conferred on him by Fox and so Brumbies biased that he does not evaluate all players to the same standard. Cannon doesn't know where the line is in criticising other teams as a commentator and Horan is just plain wrong too many times. World's best ever 12 but seems to have no idea of what's happening sometimes.

I think the idea is wrong that someone who has been an international and seems to talk OK will be a naturally good commentator. What is always left out of the job description is the need to be able communicate clearly what is happening on the ground and why. The two key paper qualifications needed are refereeing certificates and coaching qualifications with the absolute requirement that a commentator should be ably to think and analyse deeply about the game. This game is not mungo. You need an IQ over 90 and you have to have some real analytical depth to be able to communicate why particular game plans are or are not working for both sides.

To contradict all that I do love listening to Murray Mexted.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I totally agree Samo and A Finger made great impacts off the bench, just like Higgers did in his previous runouts

However, what Higgers' performance should demonstrate is that playing a burst of 20 mins against guys who've played 60 mins of test rugby is a shit load different from playing when they're fresh.

All of a sudden we've got calls now for Samo to start and HIggers to go back to bench - when does the merry-go-round stop?

IMO at 35, big Radike doesn't have the first 60 in him - we saw that for the Reds. Is a good impact player though.

I look forward to the involvement stats, but I thought Higgers roughly contributed what McCalman did, although maybe with a little more sparkle (although what was that 7s pass that went to ground??)

Ant I did like the look of defensively and he should get more time - however, replacement warning from above in force!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Some of the Kiwi and Saffer commentators are good but generally they are as bad as ours.

There have been a lot of very good commentators in past years who have been able to comment and hide or minimise their bias. Cyril Towers was the first I heard that I really liked, though he and I both loved the Randwick style of backline play so maybe I didn't notice his bias as much. In the 70's and 80's he was what got me in to watching rugby. Bill McLaren was great to listen to when international games overseas were on. Gordon Bray is sometimes limited but admirably fair and reasonable. On the ABC I know Papworth likes Eastwood from his commentary but its not obtrusive. I'm not sure who the others follow but all to me seem to be very fair and even-handed. Adam Freier is always interesting without having to heap abuse on others and often has a different point of view. So it is possible to do commentary without being jingoistic and biased.

Marto and Robbie should get on, they both are incomprehensible sometimes and both are fruitcake material. Kearns is obsessed with scrums and was one of Australia's best ever hookers, but sometimes I wonder if he is watching the same game as me. Last week our scrum was a massive improvement but was behind all match and when the Franks brothers were on we were owned, but you'd never know it from the comments. Kafer is knowledgable, but nowhere near the god-like status conferred on him by Fox and so Brumbies biased that he does not evaluate all players to the same standard. Cannon doesn't know where the line is in criticising other teams as a commentator and Horan is just plain wrong too many times. World's best ever 12 but seems to have no idea of what's happening sometimes.

I think the idea is wrong that someone who has been an international and seems to talk OK will be a naturally good commentator. What is always left out of the job description is the need to be able communicate clearly what is happening on the ground and why. The two key paper qualifications needed are refereeing certificates and coaching qualifications with the absolute requirement that a commentator should be ably to think and analyse deeply about the game. This game is not mungo. You need an IQ over 90 and you have to have some real analytical depth to be able to communicate why particular game plans are or are not working for both sides.

To contradict all that I do love listening to Murray Mexted.

The best Oz comms are the ABC crew with Pappy being a favourite. Anybody wanting to be a commentator should apart from doing a lot of home work and actually knowing the players all by sight, listen to every game ever called by Bill Mclaren and perhaps even old Norman May from Oz.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good win by Aus. While it was ugly, so are most victories in the republic (especially when its wet) and they are hard to come by at the best of times. Thought our pigs played a confrontational and physical manner, which was great as the boks rarely have a plan b. Coming off the back of the commute from Auckland less than 7 days previously, its as much as I could have realistically hoped for.

SA look off the pace and liked 15 guys who hadn't played much together. The injuries/resting of their best 11 may come back to bite them in the RWC given they have a tough pool.

I can't see how the All blacks can't win the 3N from here.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
After watching the replay I think Higginbotham should stay at 8, Samo didn't do anything special. But Ant Fainga'a definatly did, few good runs and bone rattling defence. He did more in 20 mins then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has in the past two games.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I managed to watch this game in a Walkabout pub with what seemed a million Saffa's and one bloke dressed up in full Aussie playing kit, including headgear.

These are my observations from the game, but I'll add that this is the first game I've managed to catch of the international season:

Whoever lit a fire under Rocky to make him play like that should do it again in future as he looked like a man posessed at times. He has a lot of ground to make up after limited playing time this year and maybe he's starting to reach the level we all know he can be at. However, I wouldn't have been surprised if he got carded and/or got a trip to the judiciary for his tackle on Bakkies - he might just need to control that aggression or it could proves costly during the RWC.

Blindside defense was missing at times and the cover took too long to get across. A better drilled team could have scored tries from those breaks and we can count ourselves lucky.

The times when we make a linebreak, there needs to be more players in support. Watching Rocky make a break with only James Horwill in support was ridiculous. It was like Rocky was wondering where the fast blokes were as he looked around for support. On the otherside, when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) made his break, it was obvious it would end in disaster because I can't remember the last time he passed the ball to an unmarked player after making such a break.

The goalkicking needs to improve otherwise we'll get done in the RWC. As much as we all hate it, penalty goals could decide a game. I was watching the England v Wales game before it, and the crowd in the pub were cheering penalty goals, which just shows the mentality of the NH teams vs the SH teams.
The average needs to be IMO 85%+ and if the Boks had Morne Steyn on from the beginning, the result could have been much different. We were lucky when Butch James had more of a prod than a proper shot when he missed that relatively simple attempt - the one that fell off the tee.

Those things aside, it was a great win with some things to work on - including actually scoring points in the first half and not making it so difficult for ourselves.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Any win in the republic is a good win, but it is concerning we have only been able to score 14 points in the last two games. As a general rule 14 points won't win you a game against good opposition.

It seems the opposition has worked us out in attack. They don't kick it long back to our back 3 for counter attack and they don't committ numbers to the breakdown to keep a full defensive line. I hope the brains trust can come up with something in time for the RWC.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I have to say Ant Fainga'a impressed me when he came on last night with his efforts. I never thought he could make the transition to Test but last night particularly in defence he was very impressive, had a couple of good touches aswell.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Charger, I think a big part of our problem is finishing and goal kicking. I think we are making enough breaks to score more than 14 but the support isn't there or the pass goes to ground etc.

T

TheNextBigThing

The missed attempts are hurting momentum which is stifling our attack. As counter-intuitive as it might be, I think the lack of reward for possession has put pressure on the backs and they've struggled as a result. Staying at parity for those early scores will give the backs the confidence to open the game up. Missed penalties heaps too much pressure on a young team in a big match.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Charger, I think a big part of our problem is finishing and goal kicking. I think we are making enough breaks to score more than 14 but the support isn't there or the pass goes to ground etc.

Plus, if a team knows your kicker is wobbly, then they'll push the edge to kill moves between halfway and the ten. They're unlikely to get carded there, they snuff out the risk before it gets to the red zone and where they can still defend in depth and they don't get punished on the scoreboard.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Our attacking flair looks to be suffering from a bit of second year syndrome. The opposition is fully aware we could blow them away any minute and are compensating for it. We need to put the cat back in the bag more and be more patient and clinical. The time to unleash the cat will come if we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.