• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuckinGoodStats

Scrum time will be interesting as 28% of 2011 penalties conceded by All Blacks have come from the scrum. The Wallabies have only conceded 1 penalty at scrum time from a total of 15 penalties conceded in 2011.

Scrums will be important Joubert is the ref and he favours infringements over resets at scrum time. In Super15 Joubert average 3.1 scrum resets or 16th lowest out of 17 refs. He awards an average 4.5 scrum infringements per game, or the4th highest from the Super15 referees. I know from coding every Super15 game that if Joubert get involved in the scrum, it is not for a reset.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Where the Wallabies will need to tidy up is handling errors. They made 14 against the Boks and 10 against Samoa. The All Black made 8 against the Boks and 10 against Fiji. Scary similar handling errors against the Pacific Island nations isn’t it?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Therefore, all teams do it, move on.

That's so fucking lame. It's the same excuse every halfwit crim makes: "but everyone was doing it"

If you're going to profit from systemic cheating, then just own up to it and take it like a man. Don't try and say "it happens everywhere, so it's alright".

It isn't alright. Just like ref fuckups and shithouse play - which also happen in every game - isn't OK, and we don't need it.

R

RuckinGoodStats

That's so fucking lame. It's the same excuse every halfwit crim makes: "but everyone was doing it"

If you're going to profit from systemic cheating, then just own up to it and take it like a man. Don't try and say "it happens everywhere, so it's alright".

It isn't alright. Just like ref fuckups and shithouse play - which also happen in every game - isn't OK, and we don't need it.

Got the time zone wrong and listen to all sorts of things about the London rush hour traffic and the moon of Jupiter onn BBC5Live

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Scrum time will be interesting as 28% of 2011 penalties conceded by All Blacks have come from the scrum. The Wallabies have only conceded 1 penalty at scrum time from a total of 15 penalties conceded in 2011.

Scrums will be important Joubert is the ref and he favours infringements over resets at scrum time. In Super15 Joubert average 3.1 scrum resets or 16th lowest out of 17 refs. He awards an average 4.5 scrum infringements per game, or the4th highest from the Super15 referees. I know from coding every Super15 game that if Joubert get involved in the scrum, it is not for a reset.

Sensational stat. Very interesting. Thank you!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Cyclopath, spelling isn't my problem, its me trying to drive my new laptop which showed that I'd deleted my initial sentence (prior to checking it), so I was surprised to see it appear on this thread! Only one tip.....Wallabies to win.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)

You seem to be quite excitable on this topic. Some great players (like your pet hatred McCaw) live close to the edge and use their knowledge of how the ref applied the laws to push the limits of what they can get away with purely to advantage their team. When Aussies do it and get away with it, I call it streetwise and great gameplay and prep. When Aussies get caught infringing, I call it stupid. As infuriating as it is to see intelligent and athletically gifted players like McCaw not get pinged when you see an infringement, time after time refs simply dont, and McCaw is smart enough to get away with it. One day, I hope Pocock gets the "knowledge" to get away with as much as McCaw does.

It's the ref that need to police the game, not the players.

C

chief

I really don't see how the Wallabies can win this game. It won't stop me from watching it though. I think the All Blacks will shut down Genia, and we saw in the Super Rugby final that the Reds weren't anywhere near as effective as they could have been when Genia is shut down, being said the Reds and Wallabies game plan is different. What's the weather like in Auckland?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I don't profess to be an expert re the laws of the game, hell I still struggle to detect why the whistle gets blown as often as not in a ruck, but it seems to me that interpretation, timing, and plain old what gets seen by the refs drive a lot of breakdown penalties. I dislike cynical fouls same as anyone else, but mostly it seems to me McCaw cops criticism for things which push the boundaries rather than being shamelessly cynical.

I also notice that he is very good at listening to refs and asking for clarifications, rather than criticising them. I genuinely don't think he tries to cheat cynically, he just tries very very hard to play on the edge. To me that is great play. Professional fouls are a different discussion, and something I dislike intensely, but I don't think we are above committing those either.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I really don't see how the Wallabies can win this game. It won't stop me from watching it though. I think the All Blacks will shut down Genia, and we saw in the Super Rugby final that the Reds weren't anywhere near as effective as they could have been when Genia is shut down, being said the Reds and Wallabies game plan is different. What's the weather like in Auckland?

Buzz killer.. As the game approaches I am growing more confident. Memories of HK come flooding back and I think this is a stronger Wallaby team across the board now. The only area of concern is the scrum and the capacity to fire for the full 80 and match the AB bench. The Wallabies can hold their own at the breakdown and will not get rolled. If there is any space in the game, the Wallaby's will take it. If the Wallabies go ahead by a score, I think the pressure will mount on the ABs and I hope the Wallabies are now good enough to close out the game.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Watched a lot of footy over the years and I can't recall feeling so anxious before a game. Have been watching the clock and counting down till kick-off for several hours now. Gosh it is going to be a miserable bloody Sunday should we get spanked. Positive thoughts Ben Positive thoughts. Can someone blow the bloody whistle already and get it going.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone have any thoughts on the defensive form of the AB outside backs??? From what I see, both Jane and Mils have looked pretty ordinary lately and both were bloody terrible in the Hong Kong match. Wondering how Gear is rated generally - is he generally considered a solid defender?

A

antipodean

Remember this; all fortresses end up being conquered. All winning streaks come to an end. What do you learn more from, winning or losing?

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone have any thoughts on the defensive form of the AB outside backs??? From what I see, both Jane and Mils have looked pretty ordinary lately and both were bloody terrible in the Hong Kong match. Wondering how Gear is rated generally - is he generally considered a solid defender?

I've always thought Gear is a solid defender in the tackle but his choice of what player to tackle can sometimes be wrong. OZ run some great lines so Gear could be a target imo. Jane has the opposite problem, he knows where to be to make the tackle but is prone to being flat footed and being beaten on the outside/inside.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
You seem to be quite excitable on this topic. Some great players (like your pet hatred McCaw) live close to the edge and use their knowledge of how the ref applied the laws to push the limits of what they can get away with purely to advantage their team. When Aussies do it and get away with it, I call it streetwise and great gameplay and prep. When Aussies get caught infringing, I call it stupid. As infuriating as it is to see intelligent and athletically gifted players like McCaw not get pinged when you see an infringement, time after time refs simply dont, and McCaw is smart enough to get away with it. One day, I hope Pocock gets the "knowledge" to get away with as much as McCaw does.

It's the ref that need to police the game, not the players.

I think one of the key reasons that McCaw is not penalised more heavily (meaning carded) is because he is the captain and so their is a reluctance to send him off. To suggest that he does not get pinged because he is more knowledgeable or gifted is ludicrous. The issue is the refs not penalising him for exactly the same acts that others are penalised for.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Cloudy at the moment, but locals are telling me two things.

1. expect a bit of rains and
2. it is going to clear up.

It is cool, but not too cold. No sign of rain yet.
So it'll probably stay fine. Unless it rains.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm in Costco in Canberra and I've seen few Wallaby jerseys.....wish I wore my All Black jersey now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.