• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Time for bed, got a 4am start 2morro and quality of debate is dropping! Looking fwd to Saturday's match! I'm sticking with my selections of two months ago, namely, in the RWC: England will play the Blacks in the final (for the bronze trophy), and Wobs v Boks for "Bill"!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I for one am happy to see Lachie Turner get a call up for this one he was probably one of out best in Sydney last year

Lachie had a terrific game subbing for Mitchell didn't he?

Who's to say they were practising with the early dettachment though? Could've been they just got the timing wrong in the game?

I am still mad about losing that game that was within our easy grasp. That McCaw try was a bad call but all teams get them and we should have done better with the things we had control of after we had a good lead - such as physicality.

Remember also how Slade turned the game around at first-five when he replaced Cruden? Could never work out why The Duck was subbing in Hong Kong, though maybe Slade was hurt - I've forgotten.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Time for bed, got a 4am start 2morro and quality of debate is dropping! Looking fwd to Saturday's match! I'm sticking with my selections of two months ago, namely, in the RWC: England will play the Blacks in the final (for the bronze trophy), and Wobs v Boks for "Bill"!!
Sleep would be good, it might get you back on topic. RWC a little way off, 3N first. ;)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
:lmao: The world's out to get you!

Referee Mark Lawrence is the highest authority to have (partly) viewed and commented on that video. His response: nothing to see here. That's good enough for me.

No he didn't.

He said it wasn't legal, but that you see the same stuff in every game. Same line all kiwi apologists make.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks for the correction Cyclopath, how silly of me to think that talking about the chances of Aus and NZ in RWC is "off topic" when talking about Aus v NZ on Saturday! You need another interest to give your life balance and perspective. You mentioned sleep...is not that "off topic" (to quote you)? Methinks you might be a school teacher!!

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Steve Hansen is a tosser. That's all he can do is talk shit he did it last year with the Saint Keven Mealamu headbutting incident.

You know the big loud mouth at the pub who talks shit with all his mates around him? That's Steve Hansen.

Couldnt be further from the truth. In person, Hansen is quite quiet and perks up when the subject gets to players and rugby.

All of these coaches have a microphone being shoved down their throats all the time and the media are looking for stories. They will take the slightest piece of color and twirl it into a veritable rainbow.

Most coaches will also try to deflect pressure on their own team onto the opposition, and we are all prone to read too much into it. Frankly, there is nothing wrong with respect, or healthy disrespect if that's what it comes down to. The real talk is done on the scoreboard. Losers always whine about cheats and the ref. Nobody has complained about the Wallabies (or England) cheating for a while, but I'm hopeful.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
An element of the All Blacks aura is that any kind of confidence against them is disrespectful. Opponents buy into this, even if only subconsciously, and so are at a disadvantage. I think that many Kiwi supporters buy into it as well, and so the confidence being displayed by our players at the moment comes across to (not all of) them as a form of disrespect, and the belief that you will win (a crucial element of competitive sports) as unjustified arrogance.

Well put Groucho. I just watched a clip of Steve Hansen whinging about the Wallabies disrespecting the AB's. Total crock of sh*t. I wonder if he actually read or heard the original interviews in their entirety - selective hearing at its best.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Thanks for the correction Cyclopath, how silly of me to think that talking about the chances of Aus and NZ in RWC is "off topic" when talking about Aus v NZ on Saturday! You need another interest to give your life balance and perspective. You mentioned sleep...is not that "off topic" (to quote you)? Methinks you might be a school teacher!!

He was just making a joke.

In any case I would estimate that at least 27.8% of this thread has been off topic!

M

Muttonbird

No he didn't.

He said it wasn't legal, but that you see the same stuff in every game. Same line all kiwi apologists make.

Therefore, all teams do it, move on.

He said attacking forwards over-ran the ruck because, these days, defending forwards aren't commiting to said ruck. That just makes it a personal bugbear of yours, and mine. I'm glad we can agree on something.:)

Another bugbear of mine along similar lines is decoy running. It's an awful tactic borrowed from Rugby League and made popular by Australian rugby. In my opinion it falls into the same catagory as "pillaring" in that attackers are influencing the play when they are front of their own ball by ensuring they do their best to unsight, or pick a running line directly into, defenders. All players in front of their own ball are offside, the maul excepted (am I right?), and the remotest influence on the game from that position should be called. At least in the case of "pillaring" the attackers who end up ahead of the ball are somewhat stationary.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Hi Mr Doug, not a school teacher, just suggesting you could stick to the topic, the match this weekend, and save talk for the RWC for one of the RWC threads. Look around, you might see them. Nothing personal, so try not to make it so.

R

Rev Spooner

One thing that's clear is that every time we play the All Blacks we start shitting our pants. Not without justification mind you. They have systematically beaten us for over a century with only a few periods where we dominated. We've played them 140 times - lost 95 - won 40 - drawn 5. This history is so ingrained in our collective psyche that we start getting very nervous every time we have to play them - they on the other hand get very confident. It fascinates me that we forget that they are just blokes like us that we've just played against (and beaten) in a provincial comp for the last 6 months. Let's try to remember that they ARE beatable and to treat them as such.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I for one am happy to see Lachie Turner get a call up for this one he was probably one of out best in Sydney last year & his selection also raises a few questions about potentially planned interchanges during the game.

I think he got his chance because of his defensive abilities as much as anything.

He does provide solid back 3 cover as well as the ability to defend in the line if Digby is replaced for some reason so Cooper can still float.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
One thing that's clear is that every time we play the All Blacks we start shitting our pants. Not without justification mind you. They have systematically beaten us for over a century with only a few periods where we dominated. We've played them 140 times - lost 95 - won 40 - drawn 5. This history is so ingrained in our collective psyche that we start getting very nervous every time we have to play them - they on the other hand get very confident. It fascinates me that we forget that they are just blokes like us that we've just played against (and beaten) in a provincial comp for the last 6 months. Let's try to remember that they ARE beatable and to treat them as such.

Disagree. NZ are the best side in the world and still the mark by which we measure excellence in the game, and so it's only reasonable to expect a very tough game. But "shitting our pants" is hitting the bottle of hyperbole a litte too hard. Kiwis too are nervous facing this Wallaby team, even if they are favorites.

R

Rev Spooner

Disagree. NZ are the best side in the world and still the mark by which we measure excellence in the game, and so it's only reasonable to expect a very tough game. But "shitting our pants" is hitting the bottle of hyperbole a litte too hard. Kiwis too are nervous facing this Wallaby team, even if they are favorites.

Hahah I've been known to hit the bottle of hyperbole a little to hard on numerous occasions.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)

I agree with RV as historically it seems as though this has been the case, but maybe that is the difference between this team and those that have gone before. Maybe this mob have more self belief and are less "in awe" of the AB's. A great Super 15 season by the Reds has strengthened this foundation of belief. Who knows, they may well just shit their pants completely on Saturday. Maybe the the moment will be too great, the crowd too intimidating, but I don't think they will run out onto the field with a load in the back of their pants. It will come post-haka.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The most important lesson of the statistics is we should be beating them a lot more often than the recent results suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.