• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Last week according to lots of people it was Robinson going down that makes it impossible for us to win. Now we've absorbed the Robinson injury and it's Genia we can't win without. The fact is that we have a good team and are capable of winning games without individual players, although losing Genia would obviously be a blow to our chances. Losing Genia and Cooper or Pocock... now that would be a challenge.

Robinson was a big loss, but the gap from him to Kepu or him to Alexander is no where near as big as the gap from Genia to Burgess.

I think Genia is our most important player, followed by Pocock. I agree with qwerty51 that we will struggle to win a big game without him.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Are the All Blacks resting key players this weekend for this Wallabies match? Or will they be resting players all throughout the Tri-Nations? Or will they bring they're big names back for the Wallabies since they think we are genuine contenders for the World Cup?

If any of that is the case, this is Australia's best chance in years to win back the Bledisloe and Tri Nations and go into the World Cup with a frightening amount of momentum. Listening to player interviews this week, it seems like everyone can't wait to get stuck into the All Blacks and fight it out tough. Good signs.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That was a very good clip Athinaur - wouldn't mind watching more of those - especially more recent ones.

Folks may have noticed that I roll my eyes sometimes about stats for players in individual games but the participation activities of the forwards presented on the chart is a good measure of the effectiveness of a forward in a game. It would be terrific to get such participations compiled for each match without having to pay a commercial provider. It doesn't take into account the effectiveness of each activity, but it is very good isn't it?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Robinson was a big loss, but the gap from him to Kepu or him to Alexander is no where near as big as the gap from Genia to Burgess.

I think Genia is our most important player, followed by Pocock. I agree with qwerty51 that we will struggle to win a big game without him.
I tend to agree Scotty. With Genia on the paddock we see the best of Cooper...no Genia = not quite the spectacular Cooper.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

I'm a Burgess fan, so I think we'd go fine, although we'd have to play a different style of game in parts since Burgess obviously lacks Genia's pass. But he brings other advantages to the game. The big problem with Burgess, bigger than his pass, is consistency. He is far more likely to have an off day than Genia.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Are the All Blacks resting key players this weekend for this Wallabies match? Or will they be resting players all throughout the Tri-Nations? Or will they bring they're big names back for the Wallabies since they think we are genuine contenders for the World Cup?

If any of that is the case, this is Australia's best chance in years to win back the Bledisloe and Tri Nations and go into the World Cup with a frightening amount of momentum. Listening to player interviews this week, it seems like everyone can't wait to get stuck into the All Blacks and fight it out tough. Good signs.

According to tonight's Rugby Club the ABs are still resting a few this weekend (Read, Mealamu, maybe a Franks bro and someone else) and should be expected to field a full strength line-up on Saturday week.

I reckon they'd probably be wise to, there might be another important game against us at Eden Park later in the year.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'm a Burgess fan, so I think we'd go fine, although we'd have to play a different style of game in parts since Burgess obviously lacks Genia's pass. But he brings other advantages to the game. The big problem with Burgess, bigger than his pass, is consistency. He is far more likely to have an off day than Genia.

Luke Burgess has a great ability to pull it out of the bag on the big games imo. In terms of structure of gameplay I'm a lot happier with the prospect of Burgess at 9 than of BB instead of Cooper at 10. Not saying Genia isn't a superb player, but assuming Burgess is available losing QC (Quade Cooper) is more disruptive to our strats.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)

Henry was quoted yesterday as saying he'd select the best side he could (injuries aside) for the Aus game. So, we'll see a team of Crockett (Woodcok out) Mealamu, O.Franks,
Thorn, Whitelock
Kaino, Read, McCaw
Cowan (Weepu of bench at 55mins), Carter
Sivi, Nonu, Smith, Jane/Guildford (Dagg, Toeava, Gear, still recovering although Toeva is close), Mils

I expect the above team with Woodcock at loosehead and Toeva on the right wing to be the AB XV that takes the field in the knockout stages of the RWC.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Most NZ fans I speak to still think Ali will be there ahead of Whitelock.

Henry/Hansen really want to give him every opportunity to return to pre-injury form, but I just cant see it happening. He plays too loose now and it'll be good for the Wallabies if they continue to select him. He isn't as effective as Whitelock in the tight or about the paddock, is weaker at re-starts and he offers nothing more at lineout time. What Williams has over others is the experience of playing and losing a RWC knock-out game, and that experience doesn't amount to much if you dont have the game any longer to take advantage of it. ...

What it may boil down to is this...In the last couple of minutes of a knock-out game, who would the NZ want to secure a throw-in near their own line? Thorn is not the go to guy here, so do they want Williams, Whitelock or Boric in that situation? Whitelock, Boric (still out injured but running again) can play the full Test 80, Williams probably cannot. I think they may want William's experience coming off the bench.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Rene Ranger injured or just down the pecking order?

I would probably pick him and gear, depending on the opposition.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Ranger is not injured. Too many proven Test quality players ahead of him in the pecking order, plus he is seen as an out more as an out and out winger and the squad has two of those already in Sivi and Gear.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is Rene Ranger injured or just down the pecking order?

I would probably pick him and gear, depending on the opposition.

Ranger is playing for Northland and is going alright but nothing special. He's more of a centre imo anyway.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
That was a very good clip Athinaur - wouldn't mind watching more of those - especially more recent ones.

Folks may have noticed that I roll my eyes sometimes about stats for players in individual games but the participation activities of the forwards presented on the chart is a good measure of the effectiveness of a forward in a game. It would be terrific to get such participations compiled for each match without having to pay a commercial provider. It doesn't take into account the effectiveness of each activity, but it is very good isn't it?

yeah I thought so too LG, was compiled for G&GR last year, but I couldn't tell who by - not in the G&GR vid list anymore?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah it's a pretty strong All Blacks side, especially in the backline. The All Blacks injuries to their forward pack are no different to the injuries the Wallabies have so it should be a fair fight!

Oi, anyone know what Matt Giteau is doing this weekend? I thought I heard Marto say he was playing club rugby in Brisbane this weekend but I must be dreaming.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Just checked the university website - looks like he is playing for them this weekend which is really surprising. Almost worth a look, although I also want to see how Samo goes for jeeps.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Just checked the university website - looks like he is playing for them this weekend which is really surprising. Almost worth a look, although I also want to see how Samo goes for jeeps.

Are the finger brothers also playing for gps this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.