• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think we'll see Samo. I'd like to see him but if we haven't seen him yet in first two games that weren't that important why would he make an appearance now.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Suspect Deans sees Sharpe and Giteau as part of the old guard that, rightly or wrongly, has never won anything of note. While I still think there's a place for both on the bench (subject to Vicks and Horne I would argue), I don't think theyll be in the starting team again barring injury. Simmons has added much need starch in the tight and the scrum, while Deans has signaled he wants his centers to be rock solid in defence.

Moreover, losing so many tight matches at the Wallabies and the Force can't have done wonders for Sharpe's mental state.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It was only a few weeks ago that so many people thought that Sharpe was the best lock in Australia and some were even suggesting the world. Guys here were saying that he would be an automatic choice and some were pushing his case to captain the team. Now, it seems he'll be lucky to make the bench.

And I thought us AB fans were tough.......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was only a few weeks ago that so many people thought that Sharpe was the best lock in Australia and some were even suggesting the world. Guys here were saying that he would be an automatic choice and some were pushing his case to captain the team. Now, it seems he'll be lucky to make the bench.

And I thought us AB fans were tough.......

It is tough. And I don't think entirely fair on Sharpe, who I have been pretty critical of in previous years.

I have concerns with our lineout with an inexperienced Simmons running it. If he can prove me wrong then I'll be happy.

Vickerman shouldn't be in contention because he's yet to prove his worth after all this time out of top level rugby. His role in the squad should be as a fringe option, and others deserve the opportunity before him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
As a Bok supporter I am very happy to not see Sharpe in the starting team and would be quite happy if Deans started either Simmons or even Vickerman ahead of him.

Can't believe how the love for Sharpe has dwindled but I suspect it is largely a Queensland phenomena.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yep. The Sharpe selection is the only one that I am a bit miffed about so far this season. Seems Robbie has him well down the pecking order, when I thought he had a great Super season and will provide us with far more go-forward than Simmons. Hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well I can honestly say I'm not surprised. I do think Sharpe is a little overrated here. He has a distinct lack of physicality imo.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sharpe's scrummmaging prowess and work rate in the tight had been debated on this forum numerous times before he was dropped. He is conspicuous in the loose because he spends a lot less time doing the less glamourous work, ala a McCalman. Agree with Qwerty that he is not nearly physical enough, especially given his size.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
A few points:

1. The team hasn't been announced yet, so who knows if Sharpe is in it or not?
2. Horwill and Simmons are high workrate locks, with Horwill providing the running option and Simmons concentrating on hitting rucks and calling lineouts. Maybe it is about balance in the second row, so Sharpe isn't starting because Horwill can provide what Sharpe does, but with more physicality?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sharpe's scrummmaging prowess and work rate in the tight had been debated on this forum numerous times before he was dropped. He is conspicuous in the loose because he spends a lot less time doing the less glamourous work, ala a McCalman. Agree with Qwerty that he is not nearly physical enough, especially given his size.

The stats don't back that up though. Against Samoa he was right up there in tackles made, rucks hit and runs. His stats against the Boks were similar despite not touching the ball. Sharpe used to be a seagull, but not any more.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's also a belief he cannot scrummage which I believe has some merit to it. You only have to see the difference in our scrum when he is there and isn't there.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
There's also a belief he cannot scrummage which I believe has some merit to it. You only have to see the difference in our scrum when he is there and isn't there.

Is it the presence of Horwill or the absence of Sharpe?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought the scrum got better against Samoa when Vickerman came on so I'd say it's Sharpe.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think we'll see Samo. I'd like to see him but if we haven't seen him yet in first two games that weren't that important why would he make an appearance now.

Well he clearly needed Rest for the Samoa game. Then the Boks send over a "B" team where we would not be able to properly assess whether he is still capable to play at the highest Test level intensity. McCalman is also the incumbent and deserved a shot to stake his claim, in this case I don't he has and its for Samo to step in.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

To be fair, in the past he was played on different sides, and seems to better as a loose head lock. I think he has scrummed well of late, both at Super level and Internationally in the last 2 years. I used to be a trenchant critic of Sharpe, but he has lifted a lot in recent years. He should not be easily dismissed. He should be in the best 3 locks, and probably top 2 for my money.

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
Where did all these second row options come from? It seems like only yesterday that locking choices were pretty slim pickings.

I'd personally like to see Vickerman back in the 22. His technical ability plus his physicality is a combo that is somewhat lacking in any other single 2nd rower. A Bakkies/Victor hybrid if you will. His lack of high quality game time is a concern though.

Sharpie is great and continually takes the ball forward. His lineout work is also good. His leadership is also up there with the best of them. However I doubt Deans will go for Sharpie simply because of his leadership qualities as there are leaders across the park that are and should/would be default picks: Pocock, Genia, Horwill, Moore and of course Elsom. Deans seems to be leaning towards the "new guard" of Simmons and Big Kev. Nothing wrong with that combo in my view except that its consistency over back to back internationals has yet to be proven.

Nice to have all this choice though. I wouldn't be a coach for quids.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'm interested in the Pocock as a leader thought.

Does being flippin' outstanding in your position automatically make you a leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.