• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
It needs to be rememberd that the All Blacks have had a extra week together by the time they played the springboks(compared to the Wallabies)... not an increidble amount of time, but when you consider its 33% longer then what the Wallabies had prior to the first game its sure to have an impact on combinations and team patterns.
with that in mind, the boks b side also were a game better off by the time the blackness played them though an improvement from shit to crap aint much

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Guys....I think history has proven that Super Rugby form often counts for not a hell of a lot. Despite NZ having won most of the Super trophies, we haven't won a RWC in that time and in the late '90's/early 2000's, struggled in Tri-Nations and Bledisloes.

It might not for you, it has for us

T

TOCC

with that in mind, the boks b side also were a game better off by the time the blackness played them though an improvement from shit to crap aint much

i disagree, ignoring bok injuries sustained against the Wallabies, the effects wouldnt be so notable for South Africa considering the representation from the Stormers in the Boks team is minute comared to the Crusaders and Reds in there respective teams. Not forgetting they were knocked out of the finals earlier as well.

2 weeks compared to 3 weeks preparation can make a significant difference... just saying

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, there were a couple of good signs last year - Honkers most notably, but a couple of things give me a little more hope this year -
a) The Reds could match the Saders for 80 (no other team could)
b) The impact of some of our bench players when/should we get them back. Particularly Taf - oppo coaches have him as a game changer. A Palu and Samo for the last 20-30 would be interesting as well (unsure as to latest on fitness here...)

Much agree Gagger. There is a basis for more rational hope for our team at Eden Park than has existed for some considerable time, even though equally rationally based doubts linger too, given history. I find it at once a delicious prospect of a game, and, just as much, utterly excruciating. FFS, we simply have to do it this time!!!

Important is that the core Reds' players will have the conviction, the belief. I absolutely believe that the 'rugby smarts' the Reds deployed to consistently beat the Cru and Blues can and will be put to good use v ABs, psychologically and tactically, by those key players, and, hopefully, by the coaches. And for God's sake start Samo over McCalman, he'll be less frenetic, but will yield far more per each 10 mins he's there. Beau R on the bench too if there's room.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the forward pack for next weekend should be:
1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman

16. Fainga'a- < 5-10 minutes left
17. Cowan < 20 minutes left
18. Sharpe < 15-20 minutes left
19. Higginbotham/Hodgson < 10 minutes left
20. Samo < 25 minutes left

It's effectively a unanimous sentiment that the Wallabies' inability to close out tight games is the biggest shortfall at the moment. I think it has a bit to do with the loss of Horwill, TPN and Palu over the last couple of seasons, but with lingering doubts over the fitness of the latter two come RWC, we have to take action.

One of the biggest problems I have with Deans is his apparent policy of using the bench as little as possible. Our forwards have extra work to do due to the extensive injury toll, and having them play 78 minutes doesn't help at all. I feel that the bench above would provide the impact and grunt needed to maintain a high level of intensity during the dying stages of a game. I'm not a fan of McCalman- I don't think he's physical enough to act as our long-term Number Eight- but I don't think Samo's quite up to starting. He's prone to laziness and at 35 his fitness isn't that of other forwards. However, until Palu returns I think that his presence would be really great in the 2nd half. Cowan coming on for Alexander means that we keep a dominant-tackling, ball-running prop on the field whilst adding a player with excellent breakdown skills that will really help against McCaw et al.. Bringing on Sharpe would hopefully help settle the team whilst under pressure, which is extremely important considering not only the young, enigmatic nature of our XV but also the worrying captaincy of Elsom. Either Hodgson and Higginbotham for the last quarter of an hour or so would hopefully bring about a sense of dynamic, fresh energy in different forms- Higger's wide-running explosive speedy runs or Hodgson's spartanesque barrages through the midfield. Without TPN, Fainga'a worries me a lot- I don't like the prospect of him throwing a last play line-out on our own 5m line whilst up by less than 7. But overall this bench is pretty solid, if used correctly and not just as a token gesture.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we'll see the same 22 as last week except Burgess will probably push Phibbs off the bench which is a good thing as our bench was shit last week.

The bench may just be the difference, our bench players came on & we got done 14-0 where as the All Blacks bench continued the slaughter.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
The way I see it, the Walllabies have a marginally superior backline, while the All Blacks have a more noticeable edge in the pack. However, it's the bench that is the key differentiating factor and, hope as I might, I think it will be the difference on Saturday.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously or not, but similar to how Anthony Fainga'a should either be starting or out of the 22 altogether, I think the same could be applied to Nathan Sharpe. If he's not starting, I think the bench lock spot should be filled by someone like Vickerman.

W

Waylon

There's nothing wrong with the Blicks backline

It is pretty tasty

Great halves, good centers and a back 3 with as much pace and try scoring ability as ours.

The Blicks backrow is better than ours by a country mile. Elsom is luggage

The frontrow is a clear win to the Blicks

The game will be won and lost at the breakdown and we'll get belted. Elsom will be standing on the wing all game whilst Cooper tries to protect our ball from the thieving and vicious Blicks backrow

I just checked my watch...........it's Higgers time

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
After this team is announced, we will at last finally get to see Deans preferred 22. If Samo is not in the 22, that will be his biggest mistake this selection campaign.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I see your point drewprint, but I think we need his experience in the 22. With Rocky likely to come off late during the match, in addition to his suspect captaincy ability, Sharpe's 95- Tests of experience may be exactly what we need.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's nothing wrong with the Blicks backline

It is pretty tasty

Great halves, good centers and a back 3 with as much pace and try scoring ability as ours.

The Blicks backrow is better than ours by a country mile. Elsom is luggage

The frontrow is a clear win to the Blicks

The game will be won and lost at the breakdown and we'll get belted. Elsom will be standing on the wing all game whilst Cooper tries to protect our ball from the thieving and vicious Blicks backrow

I just checked my watch...........it's Higgers time

Are you saying, in all seriousness, that Elsom spends all his time on the wing and that Higginbotham is the one to replace him?

Gold. Comedy gold.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Higgers is the best choice if you are looking for a replacement for Elsom on the wing. He is far superior. Out on the wing.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I see your point drewprint, but I think we need his experience in the 22. With Rocky likely to come off late during the match, in addition to his suspect captaincy ability, Sharpe's 95- Tests of experience may be exactly what we need.

But you'd that same level of experience with someone like Vickerman too though right?

G

GC

If Horwill or Simmons got injured early in the game I'd MUCH prefer Sharpe than Vickerman to come. Sharpe has been in great form at the top level for a few years. However, with 10 to go, Vickerman's aggression would be the go, but only just. Hence, Sharpe will get the job.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Sharpe's 40-odd tests ahead of Vickers, and he's more of a "leader". Wouldn't be annoyed if Vickers took his place though, on his day he could be the best lock in the world.

W

Waylon

Vickerman hasn't played professional rugby for years and is seriously off the pace

His selection is a slap in the face for the hard working up and comers who played super rugby the last couple of years.

Vickerman is yesterdays man.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought that Elsom performed much better last week. Looking for further improvement this week.
His defence was sound and he made some good yards up the middle with ball in hand.
Sharpie does have more tests caps than Vicks, mainly because Vickerman took a break away from the game. It is debatable that he would have anywhere near the same number if that had not happened.
Sharpie has had a great year but he may not be the guy to bring on to match the All Blacks in the physical stakes late in the game. He is much better in that respect now but it is still not a strength.
I would bank on both Horwill and Simmons being able to go the full 80 if not injured. Vickerman could inject some grunt in the last 15-20 minutes if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.