• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
My guess for the 22:

I know some here don't like the Sharpe exclusion but I'm really encouraged that Robbie seems to be making the tough decisions.

Is the tough decisions even necessary? I don't see how Sharpe can be falling out so quickly given he was one of the best locks in the Super Rugby competitions this year, and one of the best Wallaby forwards last year. Bizarre selections that have not been justified yet, and certainly won't be if the Wallabies go down this weekend. Ant Fainga'a is also gotta be the worst possible option as your backup backline member in a 5/2 bench split.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Madness not to consider Samo for 50 or 20-30 v ABs. He was super-effective twice against the Cru and Blues (i.e., numerous AB forwards), and links brilliantly with Genia at the back of the scrum, a linkage that may be very important at scrum time in this match. Neither Hodgson nor McCalman have greatly impressed in the two Tests so far.

Many of Deans non-X-factor player selections continue to baffle, so there's consistency there.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Nonsense. Vickerman has been one our best locks ever, against all opposition.

Some people around these forums use too much hyperbole for my liking. Best lock ever? Maybe for the Waratahs - was always injured for the Wallabies as I recall and a part of losing teams in 2005 and 2007 World Cup. I would actually say that Horwill, one of the greatest QLD locks of all time, has already played better than Vickerman ever has in Wallaby colours.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Remember, there's a lot of factors to enter into this selection. Timani may have been training the house down. Deans may want Sharpe to have more rest, and may want Timani to have a go too. Vickerman may be back to match fitness, so maybe Timani was always going and the selection was Vickerman over Sharpe.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Like why isn't Beau even there as well...I don't get how Reds players - and good ones at that - can miss out a squad to play the All Blacks even though the Reds beat every single NZ Super Rugby team, bar the Hurricanes, and beat the Blues and Crusaders twice. Deans selections are so convoluted just like the way he talks. Get to the point mate.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ant Fainga'a is also gotta be the worst possible option as your backup backline member in a 5/2 bench split.

I'd agree there, but that was only my guess at 22 and it was mainly going off the SA game. It could be Turner which would be a better option.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Remember, there's a lot of factors to enter into this selection. Timani may have been training the house down. Deans may want Sharpe to have more rest, and may want Timani to have a go too. Vickerman may be back to match fitness, so maybe Timani was always going and the selection was Vickerman over Sharpe.

What's the point though? We are in a World Cup year, I don't get the resting business going on. Get into it, let's beat these teams, have our best team out there, pick up some trophy's on the way to the World Cup.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd agree there, but that was only my guess at 22 and it was mainly going off the SA game. It could be Turner which would be a better option.

Haha I didn't even notice that Turner had made the squad...Gits must really be pissed off haha.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

For the side we have I think Fainga'a is the most suitable option. It is unlikely that Deans will take off O'Connor, Ioane or Beale, so having Fainga'a on the bench means he can slot into the centers (assuming he replaces McCabe) without any re-shuffle occuring.

A

antipodean

I'm genuinely perplexed by Sharpe's omission and speculated it may be injury/ recovery related. After all, he was a clear standout at the Force who aren't under-represented in the forward stakes.

Vickerman last played for the Wallabies in 2008. In the intervening time he's played a few games for the Saints and the Tahs. He's got class and no form to speak of and perhaps Deans has decided to invest in the belief that the form will come back.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I'm genuinely perplexed by Sharpe's omission and speculated it may be injury/ recovery related. After all, he was a clear standout at the Force who aren't under-represented in the forward stakes.

My take is that Sharpe, Horwill and Simmons are givens, and Deans is giving Timani and Vickerman a crack against the All Blacks to press their claim for final RWC squad inclusion.

He captained the side during the last game, so I doubt he is entirely on the outter.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
My take is that Sharpe, Horwill and Simmons are givens, and Deans is giving Timani and Vickerman a crack against the All Blacks to press their claim for final RWC inclusion.

He captained the side during the last game, so I doubt he is entirely on the outter.

Don't you think 'giving Timani a crack against the ABs' in what is simply a crucial game that could determine the psychology of victory's call going into the RWC (let alone the importance of us winning the BC) is, well, just a tad reckless given the poor way he played v Samoa, and that he's a total Test novice?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Sharpe is being rested. Let's look at the facts, taken off after 50 minutes vs Samoa (which we were losing when he went off) for Vickerman when there was already a rookie on the field. Demoted to the bench for the Springbok game and now missing from a squad of 24 (4 locks) to play our biggest game yet against the All Blacks. Is it really resting/trying out other options? Doesn't appear that way imo.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Sharpe is obviously being rested. I actually think it's a good idea to leave him at home. But why timani and hodgson made the squad and samo and Beau Robinson didn't is beyond me.

A

antipodean

I'd agree with you BG, but I would have thought the Wallabies would approach this opportunity to break their Eden Park hoodoo and enter the RWC with real momentum. In that case no "opportunities" unless first XV players were injured.

A win for the Wallabies this weekend will cement them as favourites for the RWC.

C

chriscullen

Sivivatu has had an injury scare with his leg this morning and may not play, he was in the train on back line with Hosea Gear and weepu the other changes to last weeks backline, that's if trainings a guide. I'm still not sure if Gears 100 percent yet seems like he's not.
I bet Cory Jane is champing at the bit now for another chance

A

antipodean

How could it not? Two wins in a row against the All Blacks, one of which at Fortress Eden Park, the site of the RWC final.

Status
Not open for further replies.