• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri-Nations Game 2 All Blacks V Springboks - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lambie is a better option at 10. He is just a better player, though without the experience. You could see the Boks lift when he was playing flyhalf last week.

Morné Steyn's goal kicking accuracy can no longer make up for his poor defence, his lack of threat as a ball runner and his inability to launch a backline. We saw that in 3N last year and more recently in Super Rugby. It didn't matter that Steyn kicked all those goals in a row in 3N last year because they won only 1 game out of 6 and that was because our guys were having trouble at altitude in the 2nd half at Loftus.

I forget why Butch James isn't touring but he should be the Bok flyhalf for the RWC. He is a different player from before he went to play for Bath. He's a good tactical kicker now in bad conditions, his variation of lines when he runs is excellent and his variation of attacking options is the best of any Bok flyhalf candidate.

PdV may not trust him as a goal kicker and truth be told he has some poor days for Bath, but his test match record is over 80%. The role of James in the Boks winning the 2007 RWC has been underrated and he could be a force in the next one too. We Oz fans should remember his performance when the Boks thrashed us in 2008

As I have written before: PdV may be thinking of playing back to the future in the RWC. His current players were not great scoring tries in Super Rugby this year and he will remember fondly the Boks 2009 record against the Lions - and in 3N when the Boks won 5 out of 6 including 3 against the All Blacks.

If I were a Bok fan I would fear the preference of PdV for Morné Steyn in such a campaign of 10 man rugby and getting in good real estate, though you never know: it could work.

But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.